Assange

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436
    In all seriousness, I cannot understand why the Swedes won't guarantee that they wouldn't extradite Assange to the US.
    If it gets him there to face some questions, then they get what they want and he may face a judicial process or he may not. They will be satisfied either way.
    The Scandinavians on the whole are not pro US and then has been no suggestion that Assange has compromised Sweden in any shape or form. They are way up the human rights scale, far more than the US. So I don't understand.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    How can they guarantee not to extradite him? If the U.S. makes an extradition request backed up by reasonable evidence of offences committed within their jurisdiction then he should be extradited. So maybe it's a case of semantics and Sweden wouldn't be prepared to extradite on what is currently available but cannot guarantee they won't if stronger evidence was presented?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pross wrote:
    How can they guarantee not to extradite him? If the U.S. makes an extradition request backed up by reasonable evidence of offences committed within their jurisdiction then he should be extradited. So maybe it's a case of semantics and Sweden wouldn't be prepared to extradite on what is currently available but cannot guarantee they won't if stronger evidence was presented?

That's the problem - he's definitely leaked these documents, no doubt about that. I don't know whether the USA can claim jurisdiction - they will be able to if any of Assange's activities passed through American servers, if I understand the situation correctly. So sitting tight in the embassy is probably the only option open to him now.
  • here you go Slowmart, get all angry about an actual rapist, that i ll bet my last dollar has not cost the tax payer £12m to keep under lock and key.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-run.html

the real issue with Assange was why all this money has been wasted on him? look at that and it becomes easy to see why he doesnt want to go back Sweden and onto USA.
  • here you go Slowmart, get all angry about an actual rapist, that i ll bet my last dollar has not cost the tax payer £12m to keep under lock and key.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-run.html

the real issue with Assange was why all this money has been wasted on him? look at that and it becomes easy to see why he doesnt want to go back Sweden and onto USA.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    You know when someone has lost an argument when they quote the daily mail.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    Lookyhere wrote:
    here you go Slowmart, get all angry about an actual rapist, that i ll bet my last dollar has not cost the tax payer £12m to keep under lock and key.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-run.html" target="_blank

If they knew he was holed up in an embassy they probably would. The bigger question if we can believe that article is why did he spend such a short time in prison for so many crimes?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The US haven't approached Sweden to seek extradition, and if they did it would be quite hard to get Sweden to approve it. Far easier to do so in the UK. There is a fair and open legal process at work here that assange is trying to evade, and this has nothing to do with the US. If find the whole justice4assange human rights thing quite sickening when there are real potential victims of sexual assault and rape.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Slowmart wrote:
    You know when someone has lost an argument when they quote the daily mail.

ok so, maybe we should spend the 12m toward this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31804999

i am not defending assange but i m sick to death of hearing we ve no xxxxing money but seemingly find it at a drop of a hat for trivia...... Assange is no threat to anyone in this country, so as i asked why was 12m spent on him?

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-10- ... et-budget/
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    personally i'm not keen on assange

but the swedes haven't charged him with any crime, they claim they just want to talk to him, but consistently refuse his offers to do so, for some reason they want physical control of him before talking, why is that?

Surely the Swedes need a chance to question him before they can charge him? I don't know the Swedish justice system but that's certainly the case in the UK, you'd only charge someone having questioned them and agreeing with the CPS that there's sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Yes and they could question him in the embassy, over the phone or via Skype/FaceTime if they want to be able to see him as he answers as he and his lawyers have repeatedly offered - but - they haven't and won't. Despite having questioned around fifty people in countries outside Sweden who are under investigation having been accused they won't do it with Assange and insist he comes to Sweden. Why would that be ... Do they want to go on a nice bike ride with him and have coffee, or, send him of to the USA where he is almost guaranteed to be jailed for life or executed. Fair trial anyone ...

PS If you want to know why the UN Panel made that judgement read the opinion.

So, if they interview him remotely and decide they have sufficient evidence to charge him what happens then? He's safely ensconced in a convenient embassy, do you really think he's going to leave there to stand trial? Maybe all people being accused of a crime should rock up at an embassy with such high regards for their civil rights and demand to be interviewed by Skype? The irony is that this is a man who is seemingly so keen to see (other) people held to account for their actions but won't face up to his own.

The pertinent question is not why should they interview him Without him coming to Sweden but why, when they have interviewed over fifty people at the same point in a Swedish investigation, outside of Sweden, will they not do so with Assange?

If they interview him and decide to charge him that would progress things, If they interview him and decided not to charge him that would also progress things - he may not go willingly if charged but it would move things on from the current stagnation.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    What was his end game?

Well let's see, he gets himself internationally famous, then blags his way into bed with women who are impressed by his principled stand for the international rule of law. Now what can his end game have possibly been?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er