Matt Le Blanc as new Top Gear presenter

2»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

Although I think he's utterly brilliant

Is he? He's a one trick pony and not a very good one. In the "episodes" series he was utterly awful... well, the all series was awful, but he stood out for being particularly awful.
    I just find him dated, like a prawn cocktail, boring and mildly irritating
    left the forum March 2023
  • WinNT
    WinNT Posts: 21
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    How long are people going give top gear tonight than?
    Thanks for reminding that it is today :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Good point. Need to watch and assess tonight. Need to revive my petrol head streak I think.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    Difficult shoes to fill... the trio had a witty humour and at least 2/3 of them were actually pretty educated and clever folks... now they have been replaced by a total idiot (M L B) an overenthusiastic but likeable German petrolhead and a ginger bloke who makes a point of being likeable and cheerful... it might work, it might be a total disaster... the trailers seem to point in the direction of maintaining the same format, which might be a big mistake... I guess we'll see
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I'll watch but the trailers I've seen seem to be rehashed events from previous episodes featuring slow, thick and fat.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with a fresh format but then I'm an eternal optimist being a Wolves and England fan and any optimism is usually shattered thinking WTF have I paid to watch this for again.

It's the equivilant of getting back with an old flame as the memories of great sex linger but then the relality strikes as you remember why you split........if only I could do that with my football team but it's like the love for your child. It's unconditional.

That's enough from me, my legs ache from 90 miles, beer needs drinking, ribs need cooking and eating.

Later I'll be cooking tea for myself and better half.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    well......
  • ugo.santalucia
    watched ten minutes... terrible.... same format but total lack of fun... Chris Evans is just not funny and has never been
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Well I had a business call which over ran and the bits I've seen Evans annoyed me whittling on especially when he did his Murray Walker narrative .

And yes Gordon Ramsey is a royal cunt.

I won't bother again.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • WinNT
    I watched it full and i liked it :)

At the beginnig i thought that american and german eccents are not suitable for british Top Gear, but later i got used to. So i hope strating from now i will have two TV shows to watch. this one and second one with famous trio :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Agree with Ugo - CE is awful, MLB is stuck with an awful script, the format is now someone else's - I won't be watching that again.

CE's "whoops" during the Mini driving thing and contrived "come on everyone, it's Gordon Ramsey" shouts just show desperation.

They should have started all over again - CE is coming across as a bad supply teacher.

The blonde bird is funny though. Her and MLB could come up with something well pukka.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    CE's "whoops" during the Mini driving thing and contrived "come on everyone, it's Gordon Ramsey" shouts just show desperation.
    That has always been CE's "style".
    I have never liked him.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Personally I've always found him to be rather tedious, but I didn't realize it would be this bad ......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    It was bad, and my expectations were low. LeBlanc was ok, Evans was a try too hard knob. Shame there wasn't more of Sabine. Glad we didn't see Eddie Jordan.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It was bad, and my expectations were low. LeBlanc was ok, Evans was a try too hard knob. Shame there wasn't more of Sabine. Glad we didn't see Eddie Jordan.

Yeah, I didn't expect Evans to be SO bad... I bet Clarkson was laughing uncontrollably when he saw it... he must feel on top of the world right now... and rightly so... :twisted:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    ... I bet Clarkson was laughing uncontrollably when he saw it...
    I'm sure he was. I think the old format was tired, I'd stopped watching it anyway and I'm a complete car nut. This was a poor imitation of what the old show had become. I think they should have done more to change it and not tried to impersonate Clarkson.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    imho the main attraction of top gear was the presenters ability to keep it sufficiently entertaining in spite of the format being stale

clearly the bbc are desperate to save the revenue stream, maybe mlb et al. will be enough to retain international sales for the tg brand, but for the uk it'd have been better to call it quits if they couldn't face keeping clarkson

tbh i don't hold out high hopes for amazon's not top gear, they can't simply do the same, hammond and to a lesser extent may are just stooges, can clarkson really carry a new format? will it be lumbered with product placement/other commercial biases?

at least there's dave for old reruns :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • WinNT
    I concired this as an addition to the show that will be hosted by Clarcson, May and Hammond. So for me it is OK.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't like Evans. It was TFI Top Gear.

And as to getting his local Indian takeaway staff to sit on the roof of a car??

MLB will be good. He needs work on the studio stuff but just let him loose in cars.

More Sabine. Less Evans.

The celebs in rally cross cars? How do we relate to that? And the whooping and hollering for the mud splash? We're not American.....

I'm sure it will improve. TG wasn't made in a day.

So Ramsay wants people to sponsor him for an Ironman? And it's a half distance one too.

And he's spent 1.2 million on a car??? Why would I donate to his charity when I coukd give it straight to the hospital? all seemed a bit silly to me.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think the rally cars is a mistake. Loads of these celebs can barely drive a car but could still pootle round in a reasonably priced car, missing an crunching gears as they went - the car was a bit of a leveller so hid just how bad the non-drivers were. Now they cannot have a celeb on that spot unless they can drive a bit at least - will put many of the A-listers off.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    cougie wrote:
    MLB will be good. He needs work on the studio stuff but just let him loose in cars.

More Sabine. Less Evans.

The celebs in rally cross cars? How do we relate to that? And the whooping and hollering for the mud splash? We're not American.....

I'm sure it will improve. TG wasn't made in a day.

Just found Extra Gear on iPlayer. Rory Reid and Chris Harris hosting. Good rapport for a first show, should build as they relax into future episodes.

More Sabine? Interesting section with RR showing her at home in Germany.

Less frantic than the 'main' show.

Will def watch again.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I enjoyed it overall. I though Matt le Blanc was good.

Chris Evans was annoying (a bit over enthusiastic) but that was always going to be a given with it being him. Top Gear wouldn't be Top Gear though without at least one annoying presenter. Cough *Hammond* cough.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    _Jon_ wrote:

Chris Evans was annoying (a bit over enthusiastic) but that was always going to be a given with it being him. Top Gear wouldn't be Top Gear though without at least one annoying presenter. Cough *Hammond* cough.

Didn't someone say on the A to Z of Top gear that Hammond was the best driver thoug.

Watched the second edition tonight, it was a lot better, mainly due tot he guests - Jenson Button especially, but they relied on the guests in the South Africa segments for the usual TG banter. MlB and CE just haven't developed the relationship needed, and CE has always been OTT enthusiastic about any guest or co-presenter. he just isn''t capable of being another Clarkson.

This was an improvement, if they can keep improving over the series, it may get it's audience back.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    mrfpb wrote:
    _Jon_ wrote:

Didn't someone say on the A to Z of Top gear that Hammond was the best driver thoug.

Watched the second edition tonight, it was a lot better, mainly due tot he guests - Jenson Button especially, but they relied on the guests in the South Africa segments for the usual TG banter. MlB and CE just haven't developed the relationship needed, and CE has always been OTT enthusiastic about any guest or co-presenter. he just isn''t capable of being another Clarkson.

This was an improvement, if they can keep improving over the series, it may get it's audience back.

BBC are reporting an audience drop of 1.6 million for the second episode. The problem they have is that even if it improves over the coming episodes they may have already lost the audience.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Yep, I thought the second episode was much better. The africa bit was almost back to normal

That said i caught one of the last series on Dutch Dave (who is called Veronica btw) and the gulf in quality is just vast...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    In the spirit of Kermode and Mayo (for those familiar).
    The latest episode starring Eddie Jordan with Charleen Spiteri, Matt and Seasick Steve. Introducing Tinie Tempah.
    But Chris Evans.
    Unfortunately I have added to the viewing figures which will massage his ego.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.