Matt Le Blanc as new Top Gear presenter

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited June 2016 in The bottom bracket
Have just heard this on 6 music news.

Although I think he's utterly brilliant, I must admit to being shocked - what a random, random, random choice.

So: genius, inspired choice or desperate wtf is going on?

Discuss.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• Why is it a random choice? The bloke is a complete petrolhead and has been amusing when he's been the "SIARPC" guest.

It also helps sell to the US market.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I think its a fantastic choice.

He has been on the show a couple of times and went down well, plus I think he is the fastest celeb in the reasonably priced car. According to the BBC he has also done some sort of Top Gear spin off.

From an entertainment perspective, although both quite different I can imagine that he would work well with Chris Evans, bouncing off each other in a way a little less forced than the old crowd.

Assuming there will be three, I hope the third will be a contrast. Possibly somebody who is a bit of a nutter, entertaining, but fantastic driver... the rumours about Sabine Schmitz, for example...
  • Matthewfalle
    Why is it a random choice? The bloke is a complete petrolhead and has been amusing when he's been the "SIARPC" guest.

It also helps sell to the US market.

Because its so out of the blue - don't get me wrong, its probably the only reason that I'll watch past episode one, but it just seems random.

Hopefully they'll move Evans to one side (studio locked as he gets car sick, or so I've heard), Matt and Sabine taking the proverbial out of each other and hooning around should be brilliant tv.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    good choice - I hope
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Cool!!!!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    If only it was to replace Chris Evans.......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think he is a good choice, but i was really shocked too, he hadn't even been mentioned (well not that I had seen).

is there still going to be 3? or is it those two and the stig? I think they should unmask the stig and have him as the 3rd one, he can then give his opinion on how the cars are handling and how they performed on the track.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    It was the randomness and the chemistry of the three stooges together with the brains of Andy Wilman that elevated the output to unmatched success.

Both Evans and Clarkson are on ego trips to try and resurrect an overly tired format and I can't see it ending well.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The Daily Mail claims Eddie Jordan is the 3rd man.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    FatTed wrote:

:(
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    FatTed wrote:

To fill the smug, opinionated, full of sh1t Clarkson role one assumes?
  • orraloon wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

To fill the smug, opinionated, full of sh1t Clarkson role one assumes?

I saw that the EJit was line up for it - the man's a fool.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should have got Guy Martin
  • Matthewfalle

Neggers, chegggers. Over the hill now.

When he first cam on the IRR/RR scene he was cool, now just a bit sold out, fella, chief, boss.

He's found a niche as the Aston driving TV personality truck fitter, so leave him to it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

Neggers, chegggers. Over the hill now.

When he first cam on the IRR/RR scene he was cool, now just a bit sold out, fella, chief, boss.

He's found a niche as the Aston driving TV personality truck fitter, so leave him to it.

Seems like a nice guy but I agree to some extent.

In general there is so much hate for new TG on the internet at the moment, probably a little unfair.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    HaydenM wrote:
    In general there is so much hate for new TG on the internet at the moment, probably a little unfair.
    That'll be what happens when you hire Chris Evans as your main presenter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    He's a bit of a douche but I think he has potential to make a very good show, I don't mind him as much as I used to
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    HaydenM wrote:

People don't like change
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    Flâneur wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

People don't like change

Exactly, and the old format was getting stale. Still watched and enjoyed it though
  • orraloon
    HaydenM wrote:
    Exactly, and the old format was getting stale. Still watched and enjoyed it though

Getting stale?

Any ideas chaps? No? Ok, let's trash some caravans again...

Will be interesting to watch how Evans and Le Blanc work together and hopefully take things forward.

Had hoped they'd recruit that German woman test driver, name forgotten, but guess only need one Stig type single dimensional character.

What ever became of the announced public audition process to find new blood? Still in progress?
  • haydenm
    My main glimmer of hope for the new version is involvement from Chris Harris. Don't know how far it will go, he was 'confirmed' as a presenter but I think that turned out not to be true. The pictures of the team meal with Matt Le Blanc in had Harris lurking in the back ground so we shall see...
  • I fucking hope that the weekend rumours of Eddie Jordan are not true.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • orraloon
    Line up been confirmed this morning, check the BBC site / Evans feed

Eddie Jordan in
    Sabine the german in, yay!
    Stig survives
    Rory Reid from the public auditions
    Chris Harris
    M le B
    CE
  • Eddie fucking Jordan - the man that bemoans the costs of F1 and yet somehow managed to be profligate enough to spunk millions of sponsors money on private yachts and other fripperies on the basis that it "was expected" of him as a team chief. Complete arsehole.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Never heard of Chris Harris so just went on YouTube to watch a bit of his stuff - he's basically a less squeaky Tiff Needell. Not exactly "wow, I must watch this dude" kinda viewing.

Oh well, at least M Le B and Sabine (if I remember rightly, she was actually quite funny) are on it to keep our interest going.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    orraloon wrote:
    Line up been confirmed this morning, check the BBC site / Evans feed

Eddie Jordan in
    Sabine the german in, yay!
    Stig survives
    Rory Reid from the public auditions
    Chris Harris
    M le B
    CE
    So the guy from the public auditions was previously a TV presenter. :roll:
    Newcomer Rory Reid was recruited to Top Gear from the show's 2015 public auditions, but previously presented for CNET's Car Tech channel, and also had a starring role in Sky 1's Gadget Geeks series.
    Admittedly an unkown TV presenter.
  • haydenm
    Never heard of Chris Harris so just went on YouTube to watch a bit of his stuff - he's basically a less squeaky Tiff Needell. Not exactly "wow, I must watch this dude" kinda viewing.

Maybe not to you but he is to a lot of petrolheads, he brings a lot of much needed credibility to Top Gear. There aren't that many people who do what he does well. They seem to be covering all bases with this line up, should be good
  • Matthewfalle
    How are they going to fit everyone in though: either they will only show their faces every couple of episodes or the camera will flick around like TFI Friday (which I will admit to not being a fan of at all).

Credibility is one thing, watch ability is another. It may be credible but if it's turgid .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • How long before Chris Evans has his kids on doing baby/child seat reviews etc.. Dont know much about the Le Blanc bloke but by all accounts He's handy behind the wheel. and Eddy Jordan....................Really!
    No doubt I will watch it, for the benefit of doubt, hopefully im proven wrong but I just cant get excited about the new Chris Evans line up...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    How long are people going give top gear tonight than?