Style Police?

13»

Comments

• I'm very much on two minds about wearing pro team or national team colours when cycling but I lean towards the yes I support it camp.
    As a rugby and soccer fan I would happily buy and wear my club team's jersey and would never go to the pub to watch a rugby international without wearing my Ireland jersey. During the World Cup I'd even wear an Irish soccer jersey in the pub, but only during the World Cup. If I went to a Grand Prix motor race, would i wear the colours of my favourite team, probably.
    On the other side I've had a long history as a rower all the way to international level. I represented GB at World Championships and was a triple national champion in 2010. In cycling I have represented Ireland at 3 World Championships.
    I've earned my colours.

Should cyclists be allowed to wear pro kit, national kit, or nat champ kit? Why not. Support your team. Be proud of the people you cheer on. I have been a national champion, why should I not wear a nat champ jersey?

My biggest problem is the GB nat champ jersey itself. In every other sport the white jersey with a red,white, and blue band, is the jersey of the national team. But in cycling they chose these national team colours to be worn only by the national champion. It doesn't make sense. Why not align with every other sport and use the GB team jersey for the national cycling team, and then design a specific jersey for the nat champ like every other country does?

If people decide they want to buy a replica jersey which raises more money and profile for the sport, and the sponsors that keep the sport running, so be it.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Why not align with every other sport and use the GB team jersey for the national cycling team, and then design a specific jersey for the nat champ like every other country does?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but this is already what happens.

GBCT already has national kit (blue-based training kit, white-based competition kit), while the national champ jersey has always been white with blue/red bands. Most, if not all other nations do something similar, while their own national champ jerseys remain different again.

But either way, there's no particular reason or benefit that I can see for aligning cycling with, say, rowing for example.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566

I'm very much on two minds about wearing pro team or national team colours when cycling but I lean towards the yes I support it camp.
    As a rugby and soccer fan I would happily buy and wear my club team's jersey and would never go to the pub to watch a rugby international without wearing my Ireland jersey. During the World Cup I'd even wear an Irish soccer jersey in the pub, but only during the World Cup. If I went to a Grand Prix motor race, would i wear the colours of my favourite team, probably.
    On the other side I've had a long history as a rower all the way to international level. I represented GB at World Championships and was a triple national champion in 2010. In cycling I have represented Ireland at 3 World Championships.
    I've earned my colours.

Should cyclists be allowed to wear pro kit, national kit, or nat champ kit? Why not. Support your team. Be proud of the people you cheer on. I have been a national champion, why should I not wear a nat champ jersey?

My biggest problem is the GB nat champ jersey itself. In every other sport the white jersey with a red,white, and blue band, is the jersey of the national team. But in cycling they chose these national team colours to be worn only by the national champion. It doesn't make sense. Why not align with every other sport and use the GB team jersey for the national cycling team, and then design a specific jersey for the nat champ like every other country does?

If people decide they want to buy a replica jersey which raises more money and profile for the sport, and the sponsors that keep the sport running, so be it.

So when you represent Ireland at cycling, is it all Ireland like rugby?

If it was just the Republic (you allude to that with Irish football top) how could you then represent GB?

My only logical conclusion in Northern Irish Catholic who although British by birth predominantly choose to follow the Republic, James McLean being a prime example.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Holy Thread Ressurection Batman!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I'm very much on two minds about wearing pro team or national team colours when cycling but I lean towards the yes I support it camp.
    I've earned my colours.

nothing like modesty and hiding under a bushel, eh.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Erm, hardly anyone showed up for the 2010 championships, according to the wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_British_Rowing_Championships

So if this thread resurrection shuffler actually is of the name used as opposed to some spammer then.... I reserve judgement.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

On the other side I've had a long history as a rower all the way to international level. I represented GB at World Championships and was a triple national champion in 2010.

Good effort! Which events?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ben6899 said:

On the other side I've had a long history as a rower all the way to international level. I represented GB at World Championships and was a triple national champion in 2010.

Good effort! Which events?
    Tennis by the look of the name.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Andy, I'm sure you're aware there are a few current and ex rowers in this forum... So whilst the claim you've made is technically true, let's not kid ourselves about nat champs... Or junior/u23 worlds 30 years ago.

You didn't really make a point about kit culture in rowing, but it is very different (for so many reasons) to the point that it is a massive no no to even wear club kit you haven't earned (you know the one I mean) let alone national team kit.

Similarly I think the difference between cycling and rugby/football etc is this idea of earning the kit. Certain jerseys are status symbols (Rainbow jersey) where other sports' kit isn't like that. Yes you could say even just pro team cycling kit is earned, but I think that idea is less and less now as it's becoming more mainstream and people just want to show their support of that team.

I used to care, now I just say 'wear what you want'. I've definitely come across a few characters who thought they were in some way fooling people into thinking they were something they weren't by wearing full team kit, but so what, they're just fooling themselves.