Style Police?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    JGSI wrote:
    even professional riders have turned down contracts when they heard they had to kitted out in the stuff

Total nonsense.
    stock-photo-hooked-crucian-carp-close-up-hanging-on-hook-with-worm-bait-67062913.jpg

sorry marra
  • sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    Secteur wrote:
    black, black, black and everything black (except the shoes which should be white, but with black over shoes)

DO NOT do any of that fluoro nonsense (way too 2012/2013 and just looks ridiculous)

I often see roadies out in full black gear , just can't understand why someone would want to blend into the colour of the road
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Sub2 wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    black, black, black and everything black (except the shoes which should be white, but with black over shoes)

DO NOT do any of that fluoro nonsense (way too 2012/2013 and just looks ridiculous)

I often see roadies out in full black gear , just can't understand why someone would want to blend into the colour of the road
    Because black contrasts better than a lot of colours during the day, take a closer look at a road they're grey not black
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Sub2 wrote:
    Secteur wrote:

I bought. 'Black' jacket, which glows up like a bloody Christmas tree, when you light it up. It's astonishing. An outwardly black jacket, that glows bright white with headlights.
  • Magem
    Magem Posts: 29
    There's a lot of fashion police in the road scene. Wear what you want, enjoy riding your bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Yeah, wear whatever you want to. No-one will judge.

fat_lampre.jpg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All black is a poor choice for any time of year. I've ridden past a training partner in winter on the opposite side of the road - dull day and he was in the shadows.

If he was wearing bright kit I would have seen him. So bearing in mind I was actually looking out for him - it's not a great recommendation for the ninja look.

Even in summer black merges into the shadows.

Sky have their bright blue training kit don't they? Probably helps with marginal gains - not getting hit.

So apart from standing out - ride what you want.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Fenix wrote:
    All black is a poor choice for any time of year. I've ridden past a training partner in winter on the opposite side of the road - dull day and he was in the shadows.

If he was wearing bright kit I would have seen him. So bearing in mind I was actually looking out for him - it's not a great recommendation for the ninja look.

so how do you know youve ridden past him then if you couldnt see him :?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Fenix wrote:

Even in summer black merges into the shadows.

Sky have their bright blue training kit don't they? Probably helps with marginal gains - not getting hit.

So apart from standing out - ride what you want.

I'd probably just get your eyes tested.
  • fenix
    awavey wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

so how do you know youve ridden past him then if you couldnt see him :?

Cos he then had to turn in the road and chase after me for a couple of miles to catch me ! ;-) He was quite annoyed !
    (but never went ninja again)
  • fenix

My eyes are 20/20 - but all black on a dull day in a shaded area - you're not helping yourself.

Imagine sitting in a car - streaky or dirty windscreen ? They'd have far worse visibility than us cyclists do. There are a lot of muppets out there sadly.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    rumbataz wrote:
    It's cool to be a bloke with a belly in Lycra! It's the new in-thing for 2016.

Thank f**k for that :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Fenix wrote:

My eyes are 20/20 - but all black on a dull day in a shaded area - you're not helping yourself.

Imagine sitting in a car - streaky or dirty windscreen ? They'd have far worse visibility than us cyclists do. There are a lot of muppets out there sadly.

I bought a Jacket from the London bike show the other week. The thing is, that it is black, but it's got loads of little reflective spots incorporated, so when it's in headlights, it glows up like a small sun. It's quite clever like that.
  • fenix
    Which is ok for night but if you wore it in daytime - who drives with lights on?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Fenix wrote:
    Which is ok for night but if you wore it in daytime - who drives with lights on?

Do you struggle to see black cars?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Fenix wrote:

Plenty since most new cars/vans etc will have Daylight Running Lights.
  • fenix
    If you drive - put on your running lights and see how much reflection you see in the daytime. Are those cats eyes etc lighting up? Nope.

Comparisons to seeing black cars are not relevant either. Cars are pretty much doing the same speed as other cars when you drive so it's not like you're closing on them at double or triple the speed (like you would on a bike) and cars are many times bigger than a bloke on a bike. And even after all that - if you did bump into them - it's a lot less likely to lead to a serious injury than if it was a cyclist.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Fenix wrote:
    And even after all that - if you did bump into them - it's a lot less likely to lead to a serious injury than if it was a cyclist.
    Of course not.
    There are hardly any injuries sustained in cars at all. No, hardly any. :roll:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    Fenix wrote:
    I have no trouble seeing team sky on ToB, TdF etc, must be terrible for you with missing out on the year that Bradley won, wondering why people where cheering when Sky crossed the line and all you could see was a road with no one on it? :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,030
    rumbataz wrote:
    It's cool to be a bloke with a belly in Lycra! It's the new in-thing for 2016.

Get. In!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    Fenix wrote:
    I have no trouble seeing team sky on ToB, TdF etc, must be terrible for you with missing out on the year that Bradley won, wondering why people where cheering when Sky crossed the line and all you could see was a road with no one on it? :roll:

I didn't say that you'd become invisible - but after going to funerals of clubmates mown down by motorists you tend to get a little bit more sensitive about being seen.

Tell me honestly - on a long country road - you'll see a cyclist in bright colours further away than a guy in dark colours ?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Some odd points of view, you don't suddenly become invisible in black kit but you can be more visible.
    I'm more likely to take notice of any vehicles using day lights and striking colours. Plenty of data on this when looking at cars.
    Yet when light conditions are taken into consideration, there is a clear statistical relationship between a vehicle’s colour and its crash risk, as detailed in a report by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) in 2007. Compared to white, colours such as black, blue, grey and others ranking lower on the visibility index were associated with higher crash risk in daylight hours.

But ultimately..
    “Driving a darker coloured car can increase your crash risk,” Dr Job said, “but that is nowhere near as influential a factor as your driving behaviour.
    http://www.mynrma.com.au/blog/2015/06/2 ... -your-car/
  • fenix
    Eggzackly !

Leave the black kit for sulky Rapha photoshoots high on a raindrenched Alpine climb. Looks moody.

And ride sensibly - no matter what kit you have on.
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    i wear a bright pink skin suit. a yellow helmet and john lennon style glasses. who gives a shite
  • bianchimoon
    Fenix wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I didn't say that you'd become invisible - but after going to funerals of clubmates mown down by motorists you tend to get a little bit more sensitive about being seen.

Tell me honestly - on a long country road - you'll see a cyclist in bright colours further away than a guy in dark colours ?

Even on the shortest ride you will go through many different lighting conditions where different colours may be more appropriate, if you want to wear fluro then wear it, but to say that you cannot be seen very well in black is just plain wrong
    http://www.theguardian.com/discover-boa ... et-elliott
    just look at the contrast difference between black and road on this video on the Guardian site, If that causes any driver a problem they should not be driving.
  • fenix
    If you're watching a video on a cyclist then clearly yeah we will be able to see her. But on the roads ?
    We know there's an ageing population.
    We know there are people with poor eyesight who wont wear glasses for vanity/haven't realised they needed them/forgot them.
    We know people text and drive. You can see this on every bike ride.
    We know people have dirty windscreens, scratched windscreens and crappy wipers.
    We know people drive with impaired senses.

In an ideal world we would not have this. And yes these types of people shouldn't be driving and yet there they are. Clocking up 1000's of miles.

I have to wear a jacket to keep warm on the bike. Whether I wear black or a more colourful one doesn't really matter to me except that one makes me a lot more visible and may stack the odds of being seen ever so slightly on my side.

So what's to gain by wearing black ?

You can be very much in the right after a crash saying 'aah that driver was blind as a bat and shouldn't be driving' but I'd rather not risk having to say that from A&E or worse.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Fenix wrote:
    So what's to gain by wearing black ?
    It's slimming, of course.
  • Coppi me
    Coppi me Posts: 59
    had a funny conversation with me 22 yr old lad about cyclists with what I considered to be piss poor lights...cyclist with a rear light barely visible to me and I said look at this goon, to which my lad said.....I can see that no probs

so a few things here

1. peoples eye sight plays a big part, so if you're all in black then maybe some may not see you as well as if you were in bright colours
    2. went the motorbike shop and had my hi viz jacket on, lad comes out of the shop and says....great to see that jacket...I'm a solicitor and if someone knocks you off, the judge will find 80% in your favour before any investigation.. just down to the hi viz......................make of that what you want
    3. I was wearing a full wanker kit....Contador's pink giro kit.......stopped at lights and got comments such as "this fella thinks he's in the TDF to lads making gay boy signs.........at least they all saw me!
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Style police? What not to wear?
    This may help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmD9QM8wGIg
  • Coppi me
    Coppi me Posts: 59
    I'm going to have to put asterisks in some of my posts if swearing is so frowned upon on here, my last post stated I was wearing a full "masturbators" kit and it got changed to a full rubber kit..................peeps on here will be wondering why I'm worried about passers by commenting on my kit.........I'd be passing comment if someone on a bike was wearing a full rubber kit FFS