Garmin 500 on the Turbo WITHOUT speed sensor but with hr and power/cad???

sven_jto
sven_jto Posts: 183
I like using my garmin 500's screen settings for doing my intervals as they show me the avg power for my laps(intervals) and other useful stuff I've set and look at(plus it's easier for calibration) but I don't want to put a speed sensor on the back (it's a bit complicated), I don't fully like Zwift for intervals, I've tried maximum trainer but I don't want to buy a subscription.

Is there a way to make my Garmin 500 record ride time and hr and power/cad for my workouts and so on without connecting a speed sensor to the turbo?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The newer sensors that go on the rear hub and pedal arm will do as you want. One on the hub, one on the crank and compatible with Edge 500.

Garmin GMS070 Speed/Cadence sensor
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • sven_jto
    Yeah I know about those... wondered if it'd be possible to use what i got currently whithout buying anything? I don't need speed for anything on a turbo... I'm gonna try turning the auto-pause off. I think then it should record.
  • sven_jto wrote:
    Yeah I know about those... wondered if it'd be possible to use what i got currently whithout buying anything? I don't need speed for anything on a turbo... I'm gonna try turning the auto-pause off. I think then it should record.

Not sure I follow, is this purely for Zwift? (I don't use it so no idea)

I use an Edge 500 with a Stages PM, I don't have anything else connected as I am not interested in speed or "distance" on the turbo. I just turn off the GPS, calibrate my PM and that's it.
  • sven_jto wrote:
    I like using my garmin 500's screen settings for doing my intervals as they show me the avg power for my laps(intervals) and other useful stuff I've set and look at(plus it's easier for calibration) but I don't want to put a speed sensor on the back (it's a bit complicated), I don't fully like Zwift for intervals, I've tried maximum trainer but I don't want to buy a subscription.

Is there a way to make my Garmin 500 record ride time and hr and power/cad for my workouts and so on without connecting a speed sensor to the turbo?

The Garmin - and the likes of Strava, need the speed data if anything just as a framework to hang your HR and power data off.

The speed sensor for the back wheel is just a pod that you put around with an elastic band, couldn't be easier. Does involve some expense, of course.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

The Garmin - and the likes of Strava, need the speed data if anything just as a framework to hang your HR and power data off.

The Garmin or Strava do not need speed data to record HR/cadence from (and I don't see why it'd be different for power).

e.g., https://www.strava.com/activities/462950290 from my 810. Same ride on Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1003331336

Turning auto pause off should do it. In this case I just didn't have the rear wheel speed magnet fitted (cadence recorded as normal from the GSC10).
  • sven_jto
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The Garmin or Strava do not need speed data to record HR/cadence from (and I don't see why it'd be different for power).

e.g., https://www.strava.com/activities/462950290 from my 810. Same ride on Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1003331336

Turning auto pause off should do it. In this case I just didn't have the rear wheel speed magnet fitted (cadence recorded as normal from the GSC10).
    Thanks dude. I fugered that out tonight too. No speed needed. Just turn off auto pause and it keeps recording and does the averages nicely too.. Now I can run zwift watch a movie and look at my power on the garmin....