Canyon Bikes

Sahelanthropus
Sahelanthropus Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Was wondering if anyone was an aficionado on canyon bikes. Im 6'3", with around a 34" inside leg. I usually ride a giant defy that is a large frame size and was wondering which frame size would be ideal for me from canyon bikes? I tried to use their PPS system but its pretty useless

Comments

• Would you like the bike soon? Or are you happy to wait?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I am 6'2" and have a 33" inside leg and ride an XL Aeroad. Fits great.
  • Was wondering if anyone was an aficionado on canyon bikes. Im 6'3", with around a 34" inside leg. I usually ride a giant defy that is a large frame size and was wondering which frame size would be ideal for me from canyon bikes? I tried to use their PPS system but its pretty useless

6ft, 32" inside leg riding a Large Ultimate SL, I'd go XL if I were you.
  • Would you like the bike soon? Or are you happy to wait?
    Haha yes i heard about their wait times, just wanted to get some scope on a different bike manufacturer
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I am the same height and inside leg as you and my Ultimate CF SL is XL.
    But the sizes have changed for the latest CF SLX model, so if you are aiming for one of those most people's existing bike size may not be relevant.
  • Alex222 wrote:
    I am the same height and inside leg as you and my Ultimate CF SL is XL.
    But the sizes have changed for the latest CF SLX model, so if you are aiming for one of those most people's existing bike size may not be relevant.
    Can the same measurements be applied to the endurance range?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I think the Endurace range will be more in keeping with the old Ultimate sizing, although taking into account the more relaxed geometry. Would be definitely worth spending some time looking at the geometry charts.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    For any queries regarding sizing and geometry contact Canyon directly.
    They are very helpful and will advise which bike is the correct size from your measurements.

If you want the bike this year i would get your order in by the end of the week - canyons come with very long waiting lists.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Would you like the bike soon? Or are you happy to wait?

He doesn't know does he? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Apparantly moved to a new bigger-better location and have a new computer systems a few teething problems which is why their delivery times are erratic.... Before they moved to a bigger-better location with the older computer systems their delivery times were erratic!

Canyon=Erratic regardless of where they are located or which computer they're using, I think it's secretly being ran by the irish government.

Great bikes IF you can get one!!!!!!!!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    new video of the assembly line and stuff at Canyon
    https://youtu.be/jL_iOFAXdi4
  • I had a mate who was 6-5 with a 35" leg... He rode a Xl i a Canyon bike... :)
  • Although there's nothing particularly wrong with my Scott CR1 pro frame, I've been getting the new bike itch recently, and I can't help looking at the Canyon Ultimate CF SL, mostly because I hired one in Mallorca and thought it was an excellent bike. Although I also wonder if it was a holiday romance thing, being on holiday, lovely weather and lovely roads, still I'm tempted to get one of their framesets.

Although I've just watched that video and see a disc model of the Ultimate is in the works - I've said for a long time my next bike should be disc braked, so that's a thought...
  • redvision
    ovi wrote:
    new video of the assembly line and stuff at Canyon
    https://youtu.be/jL_iOFAXdi4

Shame they only give a brief glimpse of the various sections of the factory. Still, gives an insight in to some of their processes.

GCN do some pretty good videos tbh.
  • What's the general opinion of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL (not SLX!). As said I'm temped to get one, probably as a frameset as my heart says it looks awesome. But my head says that I'll be spending £1k to get something which is probably about the same as my current Scott CR1!
  • What's the general opinion of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL (not SLX!). As said I'm temped to get one, probably as a frameset as my heart says it looks awesome. But my head says that I'll be spending £1k to get something which is probably about the same as my current Scott CR1!
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    What's the general opinion of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL (not SLX!). As said I'm temped to get one, probably as a frameset as my heart says it looks awesome. But my head says that I'll be spending £1k to get something which is probably about the same as my current Scott CR1!

I have had the 2015 CF SL 7 with 105 since early last year. Beautiful ride. Light and stiff. Also comfortable. Tried the Endurace and preffered the Ultimate as that bit more aggressive - no problem for me with comfort.
    looking into the +1
  • I'm probably best placed to answer my own question really as I rode one for 100 miles in Mallorca last Spring. But riding in Mallorca is quite different to County Durham.
  • redvision
    What's the general opinion of the Canyon Ultimate CF SL (not SLX!). As said I'm temped to get one, probably as a frameset as my heart says it looks awesome. But my head says that I'll be spending £1k to get something which is probably about the same as my current Scott CR1!

It's a very good bike. It's light and stiff and surprising comfortably over longer distances.
    Had mine for two years and had no complaints whatsoever.

If i were looking at one i wouldn't buy just the frameset though. You might as well add a bit extra and get the 7.0 full bike (and sell any components you don't need).
  • redvision wrote:
    If i were looking at one i wouldn't buy just the frameset though. You might as well add a bit extra and get the 7.0 full bike (and sell any components you don't need).

Yes I did look at that, £350 for the full bike. Which either makes the full bike cheap or the frame over priced.

tbh the 7.0 would be a good bike as specced, probably better than the Ultegra 6700 components I'd be putting on it. The only thing I'd probably change is the chainset as I have a 50/34 Ultegra 6800, so swap out the 52/36 that comes with the bike.

As ever the problem is that a frameset, I can get that past the wife saying it was 'a few hundred', with a full bike, she wouldn't be so convinced!
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    I'm possibly their longest waiting customer right now..

Ordered August 17th, ETA (new, 20th ETA that is) Mid March
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Over 7 months for an off the peg bike.

Insane.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:

Insane.

Quite, Has anyone actually received their 2016 Canyon yet??!
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Shuggy76 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Insane.

Had a Live Chat with Canyon UK this morning delivery date pushed out a further 2 weeks until last week of April. Plus 5-8 days for delivery. Last month it was the 2nd week in April.

Not amused!
  • gweeds
    Yet their CEO said just last month that they're all sorted now and all shipping times were now realistic.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • redvision
    magoo289 wrote:
    Shuggy76 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Insane.

Had a Live Chat with Canyon UK this morning delivery date pushed out a further 2 weeks until last week of April. Plus 5-8 days for delivery. Last month it was the 2nd week in April.

Not amused!

What model was that for?

I have just had a live chat with them regarding my Ultimate SLX order. The last contact i had with them they stated March as delivery, they have just told me by chat that my order is due for completion the week after next.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    redvision wrote:
    magoo289 wrote:
    Shuggy76 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Insane.

Not amused!

What model was that for?

I have just had a live chat with them regarding my Ultimate SLX order. The last contact i had with them they stated March as delivery, they have just told me by chat that my order is due for completion the week after next.

Model I have on order is the Ultimate SLX 8.0 Di2. I can wait until April as I was only going to use the bike from Spring and I'm away for a week in April. It's just the frustration.
  • redvision
    magoo289 wrote:

Model I have on order is the Ultimate SLX 8.0 Di2. I can wait until April as I was only going to use the bike from Spring and I'm away for a week in April. It's just the frustration.

Ah right, my order is for the mechanical SLX 8.0 (i actually wish i had ordered an Aeroad now, but there we go :( )
    Will see if they do meet the date they gave me this morning ...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i looked at a Giant TCR instead of the Canyon but its too big in a S, so i stuck with my original canyon order, phoned them last week, told delivery bought forward to next week.... fantastic!
    then told it would the following week, now after live chat, it will be w/c 11th of March......

what is very weird is that it says FROM STOCK and t/c say dispatched within 5 days Canyon UK say this wrong and the delivery date to me would be exactly the same, i guess i could speak to another guy up there and be told something different again?

trouble is, i ve wasted too much time on this and most other manufacturers are also quoting deliveries in march now.

i know 3 people who ve ordered 2016 bikes all back last year and no one has got one yet, maybe its just a scam to get our CC details :shock:
  • gweeds
    mamba80 wrote:
    i looked at a Giant TCR instead of the Canyon but its too big in a S, so i stuck with my original canyon order, phoned them last week, told delivery bought forward to next week.... fantastic!
    then told it would the following week, now after live chat, it will be w/c 11th of March......

what is very weird is that it says FROM STOCK and t/c say dispatched within 5 days Canyon UK say this wrong and the delivery date to me would be exactly the same, i guess i could speak to another guy up there and be told something different again?

trouble is, i ve wasted too much time on this and most other manufacturers are also quoting deliveries in march now.

i know 3 people who ve ordered 2016 bikes all back last year and no one has got one yet, maybe its just a scam to get our CC details :shock:

From stock seems to mean little.

I waited 2 months for a bike that consistently showed as in stock. When I cancelled and queried this they replied:

'Apologies for any confusion it is because our website is getting currently updated and some of the dates are wrong on our website as well as the fact that 'in stock' is the example template that automatically appears on the website whilst no dates are uploaded and present. Thanks for your considerations'

So despite dropping a large sum on a SAP build they still seem to think that the default stock option should be 'in-stock'.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    what really peed me off was the guy chris's attitude, he came across as not giving a 4 X, just quoting TC's etc and being obtuse - he was just reading off a script, he annoyed me more than the delay!

i tried ringing Germany to confirm, but all lines busy.... makes you wonder about the long term viability of this company?

Really wish i d gone a different route but my exp of Canyon 2 years ago was fantastic as was how they dealt with a warranty issue, even getting a phone call from product manager in Germany to apologise.