PTP 2016

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited October 2016 in Pro race
As the season proper draws near any thoughts on PTP for this year? Are we going to organise ourselves to do this as a collective, same races and rules as previous years?

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    I was thinking something similar. Happy to chip into the collective...

Took a quick look at the calendar and hadn't appreciated how it had been crafted to avoid overlap. Updated the races we used last year with 2016 dates below. I hadn't appreciated that the Worlds are after Lombardy this year...

A couple of suggested changes:
    - Add in Olympics
    - Ditch Tour de Yorkshire as clashes with Romandie
    - Ditch 2.HC Tour of Britain and replace with the 1.UWT GP Quebec/Montreal races

Thoughts?

February
    27 - Omloop Het Nieuswsblad

March
    5 - Strade Bianchi
    6-13 - Paris Nice
    19 - Milan San Remo
    25 - E3 Vlaanderen
    27 - Gent Wevelgem

April
    3 – Ronde van Vlaanderen
    6 - Scheldeprijs
    10 - Paris Roubaix
    17 - Amstel Gold
    20 - Fleche Wallone
    24 - Leige Bastogne Leige
    26-1 Tour de Romandie
    29-1 - Tour de Yorkshire – DELETE?

May
    6-29 - Giro d'Italia

June
    5-12 - Criterium du Dauphine
    11-19 - Tour de Suisse
    23-26 - British Nationals (TT & RR)

July
    2-24 Tour de France
    30- Classica San Sebastian

August
    6 Olympics RR (Men & Women)
    10 Olympics TT (Men & Women)
    20-11 - Vuelta a Espana

September
    4-11 - Tour of Britain – DELETE?
    9 – GP Quebec –POTENTIAL?
    11 – GP Montreal – POTENTIAL?
    19-25 – Eneco Tour

October
    1 - Il Lombardia
    9-16 – World Championships (RR + TT, Men & Women)
    9 - Paris Tours
  • mr_poll
    Great calendar.

Fairly ambivalent on TdY, however the ToB tends to get a decent field and as the site is fairly anglo with good coverage of the ToB think it would be a shame to bump it.

We will need a few more to put their hand up and help out if it is to run.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Count me in again as a scorer.

[Need a new car...go to KAR4.COM]
    Half man, Half bike
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    I think there was quite a lot of support for dropping the British Nationals last year.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I am happy to help again this year.

I'd keep ToB but leave Quebec and Montreal out. With the Vuelta, that would be three predictions in one day.

The rest all look fine, assuming enough people to help out.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • dish_dash
    Good point Alan on the Vuelta overlap. Actually to avoid overlaps we should bin ToB as well as skip Quebec/Montreal. I just like the latter two and think they are underrated vs the overrated ToB. Avoiding overlaps seems to be why we don't do Tirreno for instance...

BB - I know where the support to drop the Brit Nats was from... :P
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I'll volunteer for Giro duty again on the basis that 3 years in a row and I get to keep the trophy? Happy to pitch-in on the odd one-dayer too.

Thanks for kicking it off folks.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I'm happy to help out (I didn't last year).

I'd keep at least the Tour of Britain as it the major home race for most of us and it's actually one of the harder races to predict, which is kind of the game's point.

Bin the British Nationals though. (I did have an idea that you could pick one rider in any men's road race on Nationals weekend (minimum ten WT riders from that country) and get points according to how that one rider did)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Hi
    I'm happy to score a couple of races again this season - did Suisse and ToB in 2015.
    FWIW I would keep the Tour of Britain, drop the women's Brit nationals. Not too fussed either way about the men's nationals.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,680
    I haven't done it before but I would be happy to help out if required with some scoring to keep the fun going for us all.

Even as a Yorkshireman I am prepared to accept keeping the Tour de Yorkshire in is maybe a bit much to ask.

I also agree that the Tour of Britain should remain, it is our national tour after all.

Not really too fussed about the Nationals, the men's TT was a fairly pointless exercise for us all last year.
  • I think we should keep the ToB, as Rich says the whole point is that unpredictability.

On that note, if we choose 10 National Championships and you can choose 3 different riders from any of those 10 countries, I think that will give the leaderboard a good shake up pre-TDF.

Also, can we keep the Eneco Tour, as that's when I make all my points? Please thanks
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Just a suggestion on the admin side
    After the Tour De France is completed - no new entries and only the top 20 continue in the game.
    It'll make administering the picks easier.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    After the Tour De France is completed - no new entries and only the top 20 continue in the game.

Nah man... that's a bit exclusionary. I also enjoy the low scoring but consistent players who might drop out of the top 20 post TdF.

On Admin. Who's going to coordinate? Rozzer was last year, but he seems quiet... TWH you've done it before too. Mr Poll? Not wanting to step on anyone's toes but happy to throw my hat into the ring. Might need some guidance tho...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think we should keep the ToB, as Rich says the whole point is that unpredictability.

On that note, if we choose 10 National Championships and you can choose 3 different riders from any of those 10 countries, I think that will give the leaderboard a good shake up pre-TDF.

Also, can we keep the Eneco Tour, as that's when I make all my points? Please thanks

I agree. Eneco Tour is amazing!

I could help out with some of the cobbled classics again but I can't commit to any of the Tours
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    dish_dash wrote:
    Good point Alan on the Vuelta overlap. Actually to avoid overlaps we should bin ToB as well as skip Quebec/Montreal. I just like the latter two and think they are underrated vs the overrated ToB. Avoiding overlaps seems to be why we don't do Tirreno for instance...

BB - I know where the support to drop the Brit Nats was from... :P

You'd kick out the tour and put Austria in if you thought you could get away with it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'll jump in and help score a few races, never done it before though so will need a bit of guidance!
  • mr_poll
    dish_dash wrote:

Nah man... that's a bit exclusionary. I also enjoy the low scoring but consistent players who might drop out of the top 20 post TdF.

On Admin. Who's going to coordinate? Rozzer was last year, but he seems quiet... TWH you've done it before too. Mr Poll? Not wanting to step on anyone's toes but happy to throw my hat into the ring. Might need some guidance tho...

Ok I will sort the calendar and who is going to score throughout the season. Post on here if you have a preference or cannot do any of them due to hols etc.

dish-dash would you mind holding and updating the master sheet for the running scores throughout the season?

Will look at everyone's comments about races and sort that in the next week - will drop the Nationals I think, any thoughts on the Tour de Suisse? It overlaps with the Dauphine and tbh the last few years have been a bit meh.

Not going to drop ppl after the TdF, still the honour of winning the Vuelta etc. Last year I suggested not allowing players to join in a race if they didn't make a GT pick, as some ppl nip in and make the odd random pick then disappear again which makes the admin a bit of a pain - any thoughts on that?
  • dish_dash
    Yep, that's cool with me.

Keep TdSuisse... otherwise a long gap to the Tdf...

I'm of the view that we shouldn't be restrictive on who can play. The 12pm deadline has proven controversial enough :p

In terms of individual scoring I can't do GW, Flanders, TdF, and the last half of the Giro. The Sept/Oct races probably easier.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I don't agree with stopping people having picks under any circumstances.

The game encourages posters. My own first post was picking Cancellara to win the 2006 Paris-Roubaix (back in the C+ days). It's been downhill ever since.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    I've used my discretion on late picks...its not difficult when it's just the odd one person. It would be unmanageable if many did it though.
    Half man, Half bike
  • mr_poll
    OK here are my suggestions - let me know if you cannot do any of the below or feel you have too much.

February
    27 - Omloop Het Nieuswsblad Me

March
    5 - Strade Bianchi RidgeRider
    6-13 - Paris Nice Gregster04
    19 - Milan San Remo RidgeRider
    25 - E3 Vlaanderen RidgeRider
    27 - Gent Wevelgem AlanP

April
    3 – Ronde van Vlaanderen AlanP
    6 - Scheldeprijs Milton50
    10 - Paris Roubaix Milton50
    17 - Amstel Gold Milton50
    20 - Fleche Wallone BlueMoon17
    24 - Leige Bastogne Leige BlueMoon17
    26-1 Tour de Romandie DishDash

May
    6-29 - Giro d'Italia Macaloon

June
    5-12 - Criterium du Dauphine AlanP
    11-19 - Tour de Suisse Shazz

July
    2-24 Tour de France Me
    30- Classica San Sebastian RichN95

August
    6 Olympics RR (Men & Women) Shazz
    10 Olympics TT (Men & Women) Shazz
    20-11 - Vuelta a Espana RichN95

September
    4-11 - Tour of Britain Gregster04
    19-25 – Eneco Tour RidgeRider

October All Milton50
    1 - Il Lombardia
    9-16 – World Championships (RR + TT, Men & Women)
    9 - Paris Tours
  • ridgerider
    Good for me...will need to find some early season form!
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't agree with stopping people having picks under any circumstances.

The game encourages posters. My own first post was picking Cancellara to win the 2006 Paris-Roubaix (back in the C+ days). It's been downhill ever since.

Me too. Not my first post on BR in general, but my first post in pro race, or one of them (I forget exactly).

Would offer to help but starting a new job in March and not sure whether I can commit yet.
  • milton50
    The spring classics are fine for me to do and I can probably do Lombardy as well.

The only thing is I usually aim to have a holiday in October so it might be better if someone else puts their name forward for the Worlds and Paris Tours?
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Calendar is fine with me.
    Agree re not excluding anyone from picking. I suspect this is easiest from an admin perspective in any case!
    I will be rigid in applying whatever the time cut off is for picks, though. I haven't got time to check when the action started or didn't start every day! Not that there were any problems on the races I scored last year - everyone was very well behaved.
  • dish_dash
    Milton50 wrote:
    The spring classics are fine for me to do and I can probably do Lombardy as well.

The only thing is I usually aim to have a holiday in October so it might be better if someone else puts their name forward for the Worlds and Paris Tours?

I could do world and pn as the competition should be coming to a head as well so I can manage the overall scores at the same time
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Fine by me thanks!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • milton50
    dish_dash wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

I could do world and pn as the competition should be coming to a head as well so I can manage the overall scores at the same time

Ok, nice one dish dash
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Sorry for the late response to this. If mr poll wants to pick up the ptp running then great, I've no issues with that. In fact it would probably work out better. Id be happy to run it again but work is just crazy at the minute so obviously the ptp wouldn't be my first priority so updates could slip. Add in a house move at some point in the next 6 months to that too.

Mr poll if you want to pm me then I can send all the templates to you etc.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • All fine by me.