Dubai *spoilers*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2016 in Pro race
Easy for Kittel.

He looks quite good.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish finished etc
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Finally.. some more racing. Can't believe I was actually looking forward to the Dubai tour. Nice top 10 for Chris Opie, good to see
  • Was a really good sprint.

Cav was boxed in by Saxo coming up the side. But I look forward to the writing off of him.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You can probably say today was simply bad positioning from Cav. Let's see some more ahead of writing him off, he definitely showed more pace than the rest and didn't lose any ground on Kittel in the sprint.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    You could...but it's funny how the top sprinter of the day never seems to get boxed in isnt it...

(trying to be positive about Cav for the last few years hasnt worked so i'm going to try being a negative nancy instead)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    ddraver wrote:
    You could...but it's funny how the top sprinter of the day never seems to get boxed in isnt it...

(trying to be positive about Cav for the last few years hasnt worked so i'm going to try being a negative nancy instead)

Very true
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Joelsim wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Very true

He didn't really look boxed in to be honest, though I only saw th very brief highlights.
  • Im a big fan of Cav, but Kittel is just a faster sprinter. Cav could probably read the sprint better, and with time his team could lead him out better, but Kittel is a power horse, and doesnt always need such a good train.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    When kittel is on form like 2014 I think he's unstoppable just a big power machine, and don't think anyone is better than him, but cav can read the sprints better but needs the right lead out not like his days when he could just keep jumping the wheels in the last 500m and win. But am a big cav and not bad 2nd in his first race.
  • joelsim
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    When kittel is on form like 2014 I think he's unstoppable just a big power machine, and don't think anyone is better than him, but cav can read the sprints better but needs the right lead out not like his days when he could just keep jumping the wheels in the last 500m and win. But am a big cav and not bad 2nd in his first race.

Gaviria will give Kittel a run for his money.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Dav1d1 wrote:

Gaviria will give Kittel a run for his money.

Caleb Ewan looks really good too. I dont think anyone can get as low as he can without worrying about crashing head first. To go that low while putting out 1500 watts is impressive
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Long way out.
  • Worth having a squint at Friebe's tweet discussion with a few of us today re Cav

He's been on the boards for the last few months with the TP guys, pushing massive gears. Too soon to switch to the jump needed to beat Kittel right now
  • ddraver wrote:

ummm. Not true.
  • ddraver wrote:

delete. dupe post
  • inseine
    Kittel, Cav, Greipel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, Vivianni................should be a good year :)
  • joelsim
    Worth having a squint at Friebe's tweet discussion with a few of us today re Cav

He's been on the boards for the last few months with the TP guys, pushing massive gears. Too soon to switch to the jump needed to beat Kittel right now

True. He has been on the boards. Add that to the fact he isn't as fast as Kittel and there's your answer.

:lol:
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Worth having a squint at Friebe's tweet discussion with a few of us today re Cav

True. He has been on the boards. Add that to the fact he isn't as fast as Kittel and there's your answer.

GET OUT

:evil: :D
  • ShutupJens
    I hate the whole "Cav's finished" thing. Kittel is an animal, he has traded off the ability to get over climbs for the ability to wind it up for 300m and just smash everyone in a different way to what Cav used to do. To be honest I can't see Ewan or Gaviria holding a candle to him in a drag race, there will be plenty of opportunities for them though when there is a bit more difficulty before the last 5km or so..
  • inseine

'Pushing massive gears', really? Interesting, where did you see, hear that?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited February 2016
    Perfect, armchair lead out for Kittel.
    Already equals last years win total.

Large gears the all round order of the day atm on the track.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine wrote:

1. It's track. It's pursuiting. That's what's involved. You have 1 gear and it's going to be a massive one.

2. As above, I refer you to Friebe's tweets today
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

1. It's track. It's pursuiting. That's what's involved. You have 1 gear and it's going to be a massive one.

But they're pedalling like crazy in the pursuit! I suppose the start is a big gear effort. I can see he's lacking miles but i thought he'd have a good leg speed from the track.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Joelsim wrote:

So your Verdicts are in after the one race.
    Kittel was the most desperate with having to prove his worth on a new team and that team also need to show they have got their lead out correct.
    They did very well and the next month will be interesting when the season gets started. 8)
    The peloton now know the score. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • joelsim
    deejay wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

So your Verdicts are in after the one race.
    Kittel was the most desperate with having to prove his worth on a new team and that team also need to show they have got their lead out correct.
    They did very well and the next month will be interesting when the season gets started. 8)
    The peloton now know the score. ?

Not really deejay.

Simply that Cav isn't finished as a top sprinter, he clearly still is. But Kittel is faster. And to my mind there is only one person who could challenge Herr K and that is Gaviria.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    iainf72 wrote:
    Cavendish finished etc

Is he fat?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    inseine wrote:
    Kittel, Cav, Greipel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, Vivianni................should be a good year :)

Bennett :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ShutupJens
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

But they're pedalling like crazy in the pursuit! I suppose the start is a big gear effort. I can see he's lacking miles but i thought he'd have a good leg speed from the track.

Regardless of the gearing or leg speed - training to increase your 4 minute power is going to blunt your 12 second power. Whether or not Cavendish was training for a team pursuit when he was getting beaten by Kittel in 2013 & 2014 remains a different matter
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

YES!
  • joelsim
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

YES!

Gordon?