Gloves- before I push the button...

Alpina007
Alpina007 Posts: 106
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I suffer from cold hands and my last few group rides have seen me bailing out after a hour or two due to my hands being in agony due to the cold. It starts in my thumbs and soon spreads to my fingers.

I am just about to buy a Pair of Rapha Deep Winter gloves and although the price is galling I am prepared to spend the money to get the desired relief from the cold.

Lately the temps have been as low as -6 c but I suffer even in the low 10c. The rides are around four hours.

Would anyone who suffers with the same problem found a solution to the hand problem.

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Have you tried silk or merino liners under your main gloves? Made a real difference for me, I think due to the extra layer of insulating air they trap between hand and glove. Also, lobster style gloves are good as they pair fingers together to share heat. I also have a pair of Specialized Sub-zeros which have the thumb and forefinger separate from a mitt part that holds the other three fingers. Often overkill, but certainly effective in the cold.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I know how you feel. It almost brought me to tears sometimes, and most people don't realise how painful it can get.
    The only way forward for me, and I guess you, is to wear mittens like these.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sealskinz-Winte ... sku=203456

I ended up wasting money in going for more and more expensive gloves and even lobster mitts, my problem was never solved until I got full mittens.

For extra security I sometimes even wear Gore-tex shell mittens over the top of them.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/outdoor ... GwodxKYDuA

They take a little getting used to when changing gear but it beats freezing fingers and my fingers now remain warm throughout my rides and now enjoy going out in freezing conditions.
  • Recently bought the Castelli Estremo gloves. I'd say I'm happy with them although not as warm as I'd ideally like. My hands are always cold and I always wear full gloves below 15C. I've used the Estremo's around 0 and my hands don't hurt or go numb but are still cold but to be honest I think I'd need heated gloves for them to be warm! They are not too bulky which is a good point, probably the right balance for UK riding.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    Recently bought the Castelli Estremo gloves. I'd say I'm happy with them although not as warm as I'd ideally like. My hands are always cold and I always wear full gloves below 15C. I've used the Estremo's around 0 and my hands don't hurt or go numb but are still cold but to be honest I think I'd need heated gloves for them to be warm! They are not too bulky which is a good point, probably the right balance for UK riding.

I was thinkng of those or the Rapha pro team neoprene gloves, any idea how they compare?
  • OP - do you keep your arms and top half warm enough too? Dont just concentrate on your hands. Then layer - liners and lobsters - the Assos glove system has had me down to -11C with no problem at all. You can do your own version.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    Recently bought the Castelli Estremo gloves. I'd say I'm happy with them although not as warm as I'd ideally like. My hands are always cold and I always wear full gloves below 15C. I've used the Estremo's around 0 and my hands don't hurt or go numb but are still cold but to be honest I think I'd need heated gloves for them to be warm! They are not too bulky which is a good point, probably the right balance for UK riding.

Got a pair if these as well. Very good gloves and have taken me comfortably down to -2 without liners, never ridden in colder this year so can't comment how low they'd go. Too warm over about +5.
  • dwanes wrote:
    I know how you feel. It almost brought me to tears sometimes, and most people don't realise how painful it can get.
    The only way forward for me, and I guess you, is to wear mittens like these.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sealskinz-Winte ... sku=203456

I ended up wasting money in going for more and more expensive gloves and even lobster mitts, my problem was never solved until I got full mittens.

For extra security I sometimes even wear Gore-tex shell mittens over the top of them.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/outdoor ... GwodxKYDuA

They take a little getting used to when changing gear but it beats freezing fingers and my fingers now remain warm throughout my rides and now enjoy going out in freezing conditions.

Seconded on the sealskinz mittens. Amazingly warm, even down to -5 windchill. Don't fall for the Rapha hype.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • With the mittens, how do you operate the controls (brakes & gears) on a road bike? Lobsters would be mittens if this wasn't a requirement.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have coldish hands. Sent the Rapha back. The Estremo are far better, but not perfect, not at 0.

Layering does work best, or, if you don't want to, the Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell lobsters.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Im glad I posted the question. I imagined the Rapha's would end my quest for pain free hands. I do layer up my body and feet and don't suffer anywhere but my fingers.

I have bought various gloves without finding a pair that do the trick. It always starts with my thumbs getting cold.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.
  • I was happy to invest in the Rapha ones. If they worked. To me they just felt like not particularly warm skiing gloves.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Alpina007 wrote:
    Im glad I posted the question. I imagined the Rapha's would end my quest for pain free hands. I do layer up my body and feet and don't suffer anywhere but my fingers.

I have bought various gloves without finding a pair that do the trick. It always starts with my thumbs getting cold.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.

Just remember though that your hands get cold because the body constricts the blood supply to them. Make sure your arms and wrists are well insulated and then your core.
  • dwanes
    I will repeat, if you suffer badly from cold fingers (that is fingers, not hands) the only way forward is Mittens
    Forget gloves.
  • I suffer really badly. I have at last found a solution. Sealskin lobster mitts with woolly gloves underneath. You need to get used to the slightly restricted movement compared to standard gloves but this is the only thing that's ever worked for me and iv'e tried everything.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • noodleman wrote:
    I suffer really badly. I have at last found a solution. Sealskin lobster mitts with woolly gloves underneath. You need to get used to the slightly restricted movement compared to standard gloves but this is the only thing that's ever worked for me and iv'e tried everything.

Is that normal everyday wooly gloves that you use?
  • Galibier gloves are probably the warmest I have tried... and cheap too.
  • dwanes wrote:
    I will repeat, if you suffer badly from cold fingers (that is fingers, not hands) the only way forward is Mittens
    Forget gloves.

I repeat - how do you operate gear and brakes properly in mittens?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    dwanes wrote:
    Forget gloves.

Generally you can wear mittens and change gear and operate the brakes. OK it is not as easy as with gloves but there has to be a compromise.

As a skier I also recommend mittens over gloves, again when skiing they are not as convenient but they are better for keeping hands warm.

As also suggested it is VERY important that you keep your core warm so layer up and keep the wind and rain out.
  • dwanes
    dwanes wrote:
    Forget gloves.

With Shimano, that I use, sweep the main brake lever over in order to move the gears up to the larger cogs, and click the smaller lever over to move the gears down.
    To brake - squeeze the lever toward the handlebars to slow the bike down.

:roll:
  • dwanes wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Forget gloves.

With Shimano, that I use, sweep the main brake lever over in order to move the gears up to the larger cogs, and click the smaller lever over to move the gears down.
    To brake - squeeze the lever toward the handlebars to slow the bike down.

:roll:

So why do you think that most other gloves (of the mitt type) are of the lobster type....? :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Alpina007 wrote:
    noodleman wrote:
    I suffer really badly. I have at last found a solution. Sealskin lobster mitts with woolly gloves underneath. You need to get used to the slightly restricted movement compared to standard gloves but this is the only thing that's ever worked for me and iv'e tried everything.

Is that normal everyday wooly gloves that you use?
    Yes. Normal everyday wooly gloves, although they came free on the front of a copy of cycling plus. Personally wouldn't feel safe riding in mitts but lobster gloves are ok for me regarding gear changing and braking.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Having got horribly cold (and wet) hands on my New Years day ride, I thought it would be worth resurrecting this thread!

Was quite tempted by the Estermos, but am a bit put off by a lack of waterproofing. It seems to me that in the UK cold and wet rides are much more commonplace than cold and dry...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Specialized SubZero lobsters are great if you can find them. Waterproof, good for well below freezing, plus they come with a useful set of liner gloves (though I've never found it necessary to use both the lobsters and liners at the same time).
  • It took me a few years to work it out, but when I get cold hands (and my hands really suffer when I get cold), the gloves to solve the problem DO NOT EXIST.

I need to keep my hands dry and insulated and in windproof gloves, but the only thing that makes a difference is being over-warm in the rest of my body. If I am not wearing one layer more than I think I need, my hands are cold. This is because it is not heat loss through the hands that is making them cold, but not enough blood going there in the first place. Again, gloves are not the way to solve this.

Hope this helps.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Alpina007 wrote:
    I suffer from cold hands and my last few group rides have seen me bailing out after a hour or two due to my hands being in agony due to the cold. It starts in my thumbs and soon spreads to my fingers.

I am just about to buy a Pair of Rapha Deep Winter gloves and although the price is galling I am prepared to spend the money to get the desired relief from the cold.

Lately the temps have been as low as -6 c but I suffer even in the low 10c. The rides are around four hours.

Would anyone who suffers with the same problem found a solution to the hand problem.

I have the hmm same problem with hands and feet. More feet than hands.

I have Rapha deep winter gloves but need inner marino once it dips below 5.

I currently use the Castili deep winter and it is much warmer!!! So far Zero I don't need inner!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    TBH the difference in warmth between lobsters/mitts and pretty much any conventional gloves is fairly staggering. I've found this to be true both winter cycling and winter mountaineering. Obviously with lobsters you do lose some dexterity but you learn to adapt. The controls of a road bike aren't all that complex to operate in reality.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Having got horribly cold (and wet) hands on my New Years day ride, I thought it would be worth resurrecting this thread!

Was quite tempted by the Estermos, but am a bit put off by a lack of waterproofing. It seems to me that in the UK cold and wet rides are much more commonplace than cold and dry...

Sold my Estremos on ebay a few weeks back. They were just too warm for me. Sweaty hands unless it was sub-zero. Also they were a bit to hefty for the Di2 switches.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I get very cold hands, and find for winter riding (especially when windy) the best solution has been SealSkinz Highland XP Gloves with a pair of liner gloves underneath.

The main gloves need to be slightly loose to allow a layer of warm air to become trapped.

with these gloves, presumably due to my hand grip style, I do find my right index finger sometimes presses right into the tip of the glove, and hence the tip of this finger is the *only* part of my hands that get cold, even in really bad weather. If I am conscious to wiggle it back, it stays warm!

This combination has been a revelation.

Also, these gloves have some waterproofing to them but on the downside they are useless for wiping your nose/mouth because they don't have a soft flannel patch on the thumb - they're fully all windproof/waterproof protective material.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It took me a few years to work it out, but when I get cold hands (and my hands really suffer when I get cold), the gloves to solve the problem DO NOT EXIST.

i'm with you on that one

OP good luck finding gloves that work for you, i'm still looking and have amassed a stupid amount of gloves in the hunt, i'm currently layering and on extreme rides resort to wearing latex workshop gloves under the layers, very sweaty but once warmed up stay warm if a bit wrinkly

A few more UK seasons of glove hunting and i could have put a deposit down on a winter home in the sun :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Normal gloves with latex gloves underneath. Cheap as chips (actually cheaper) and warmer than anything else I've ever tried. Our brake hoses were freezing up one night on the MTB's but my hands were warm. Your hands will sweat but stay amazingly warm and you have good grip and control.
    Also great for snowball fights.