Lower back pain

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
Hi guys,
I've just moved to a road bike from a hybrid and I'm finding that I'm getting lower back pain when putting in effort. It seems that when I try to ride in a higher gear I'm tensing up my back rather than pedalling from my legs.
Any advice? Is it just a case of concentrating on keeping relaxed or does it sound like I'm doing something wrong?

Comments

• The best money anyone will ever spend when they get a road bike, is on a proper bike fit.

Don`t bother trying to change things using guesswork, get looked at and get fitted properly.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bigmonka
    The best money anyone will ever spend when they get a road bike, is on a proper bike fit.

Don`t bother trying to change things using guesswork, get looked at and get fitted properly.
    I think I'll have to look in to that - I'm so used to just jumping on a bike, roughly adjusting the saddle height, and cracking on. It seems that on a road bike there is so much more to it!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    When I first got a road bike I'd get terrible lower back ache after as little as 30/40 minutes riding. It really hurt! I'd have to get off and stretch and bend before continuing. The position you are in on a road bike is very different to that of a mountain/hybrid bike. On a road bike you don't support your torso via your arms and shoulders. The pain you and I experienced is mostly due to having very weak core muscles. You need to focus on getting more flexible and core-strengthening exercises. Get a fitness mat, get on the floor and do some crunches and lower back exercises on the other side. It took me about 6-8 weeks but the pain has gone and now I'm fine for 5 hours or so. I still get stiff soulders but they are easy to stretch out whilst on the bike.

Here are 3 links to get you started:

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/article/core-training-for-cyclists-41207/

http://www.bicycling.com/training/strength-training/how-train-most-important-core-muscles-cycling

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/top-ten-core-drills-31170

HTH's

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Get someone to check saddle height. A saddle height slightly too high means you will rock your hips to get to the bottom of the pedal stroke. Sometimes you can hardly see it, it doesn't have to be much, like 5mm too high. Now, that is one thing that can cause lower back pain.
  • BigMonka wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I've just moved to a road bike from a hybrid and I'm finding that I'm getting lower back pain when putting in effort. It seems that when I try to ride in a higher gear I'm tensing up my back rather than pedalling from my legs.
    Any advice? Is it just a case of concentrating on keeping relaxed or does it sound like I'm doing something wrong?

1. Bike fit

2. Bike specific stretches

3. Core strength work
  • bigmonka
    Thanks everyone.
    Turns out that my saddle was too low, and raising it has helped a bit. As has another week of riding, so getting used to the position was certainly a part of it.
    I do a decent weights session in the gym a couple of times a week, so I'll throw in some more core work and those bike specific stretches.

Are Retul bike fits the only ones worth getting done, or are the ones in an LBS good enough for casual riding/commuting?
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    BigMonka wrote:
    Thanks everyone.
    Turns out that my saddle was too low, and raising it has helped a bit. As has another week of riding, so getting used to the position was certainly a part of it.
    I do a decent weights session in the gym a couple of times a week, so I'll throw in some more core work and those bike specific stretches.

Are Retul bike fits the only ones worth getting done, or are the ones in an LBS good enough for casual riding/commuting?

You'd be better off going to someone who is experienced who knows what they're doing, recommended and have the skill and experience to build a picture about your own physiology - flexibility, injuries etc. Not saying there aren't good Retul fitters out there but it seems anyone can go on a Retul training course and then trade as a Retul fitter. Retul are not particular selective on who they train. You'd be better going for a fitter who has a good reputation and ideally a background in physio or at least a good understanding of physio and ideally many years of fitting experience.
  • I would look at stretching exercises and core work as well as the bike fit
  • LeeDa wrote:
    BigMonka wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

You'd be better off going to someone who is experienced who knows what they're doing, recommended and have the skill and experience to build a picture about your own physiology - flexibility, injuries etc. Not saying there aren't good Retul fitters out there but it seems anyone can go on a Retul training course and then trade as a Retul fitter. Retul are not particular selective on who they train. You'd be better going for a fitter who has a good reputation and ideally a background in physio or at least a good understanding of physio and ideally many years of fitting experience.

This is good advice.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    I was recommended a physic who also does bike fit. He's based leamigton spa/ Coventry way.

If there's any interest I ll dig the details out? I haven't used the guy but he came highly recommended from a sports doctor is use.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You should get in a routine of doing a 5 minute stretch after every ride and then at least once a week do a proper development stretch.

e.g.
    5 mins : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgEbH31FbWs
    15 mins : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElIDKxmyQo
  • Actually riding a bike helped me to cure lower back pain.I felt very good after riding.
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    Stretch your hamstrings. If you can't comfortably touch your toes then you need to stretch your hamstring to ride a roadbike comfortably.