Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

If i hear...

AshbeckAshbeck Posts: 235
edited January 2016 in Pro race
...Dimension Data described on TV as 'Dimension ...DARTAR.." one more f**king time I'm going to kick the sh*te out of my tv.

It's 'Dimension D-A-T-A...'

DAAAAAAYYYYYTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA

There's no 'R' in the middle....there's no 'R' at the end.

Stop it now. Just stop it. FFS

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Posts

  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    Luckily they haven't got Jagwar as the team cars.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,637
    Would that be automaytic Jagwars?
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,986
    I prefer Team DD

    And FWIW company is known as Di-Data in my neck of the woods...
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 11,841
    You should tell your father.
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,544
    Isn't the pronunciation 'dar-ta' the original English pronunciation, which is why it's used in Australia?

    I thought 'day-ta' was an Americanism that is now ubiquitous in the UK...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • It's 'datta', foolz.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ShutupJensShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Totally agree , grinds my gears big time! Sounds fairly normal when Robbie McEwen says it, must be the accent. Time for the chuckle brothers to retire
  • milton50milton50 Posts: 3,856
    salsiccia1 wrote:
    Isn't the pronunciation 'dar-ta' the original English pronunciation, which is why it's used in Australia?

    I thought 'day-ta' was an Americanism that is now ubiquitous in the UK...

    I thought it was the other way round.
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    salsiccia1 wrote:
    Isn't the pronunciation 'dar-ta' the original English pronunciation, which is why it's used in Australia?

    I thought 'day-ta' was an Americanism that is now ubiquitous in the UK...

    This is correct. When I worked in BT in the early '90s only the sandal weaving, morris dancing, scrumpy swilling throwbacks clung to the original dar-ta affectation. It was quite cute.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    None of it matters. 92% in the UK use Dayta as the pronunciation.

    That's English.

    Everything else is wrong. Bloody antipodeans and 'murcans bas*ardising our language.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,688 Lives Here
    Our?


    Get out.
  • 964cup964cup Posts: 1,359
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    964cup wrote:
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].

    Finally, somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

    As for Joel claiming any standing on communicators, given his advocacy of a catastrophically bad broadcaster, that's pretty funny.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Macaloon wrote:
    964cup wrote:
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].

    Finally, somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

    As for Joel claiming any standing on communicators, given his advocacy of a catastrophically bad broadcaster, that's pretty funny.

    True
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,284
    The CEO of Dimension Data says day-ta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    milton50 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    964cup wrote:
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].

    Finally, somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

    As for Joel claiming any standing on communicators, given his advocacy of a catastrophically bad broadcaster, that's pretty funny.

    True

    True indeed.

    #CKFC
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.

    well at least they arent Team Bombardier then :lol:

    and yes its Di-Data round these parts, had some friends who work for them.
  • How will Rob 'Atch pronounce it?

    I'm hoping for the full Sunday Name: Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka.

    While we're on mispronunciations of teams, P&P's close relative Carlton Kirby - Matthew Corbet to their Chuckle Bros - seems to have a mental block on Bora Argon 18 - he's transported the German outfit to Spain and rebranded then Bora Aragon.
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,755
    Ashbeck wrote:
    ...Dimension Data described on TV as 'Dimension ...DARTAR.." one more f**king time I'm going to kick the sh*te out of my tv.

    It's 'Dimension D-A-T-A...'

    DAAAAAAYYYYYTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA

    There's no 'R' in the middle....there's no 'R' at the end.

    Stop it now. Just stop it. FFS

    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

    My head office is in your illustrious county and my MD pronounces it just as you described. If I give you the address you are more than welcome to pay him a visit to deal with him accordingly. I was subjected to it last week and was on the verge of throwing him from the office window........ It is bl88dy irritating.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • awavey wrote:
    as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.

    well at least they arent Team Bombardier then :lol:

    and yes its Di-Data round these parts, had some friends who work for them.


    with the fall of the stock market, their share is less than one Canadian dollar each, there will be no Team Bombardier. But I admit that Bombardier could cause pronunciation problem. :lol:
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 10,104
    I still call them Qhubeka.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 4,986
    I still call them Qhubeka.

    That's a good call...
  • I still call them Barloworld
    My Men 2020 - Mark Cavendish, Ben Swift, Fernando Gaviria, Alejandro Valverde, Edvald Boassen Hagen, Zdenek Stybar, Vincenzo Nibali, Geraint Thomas.
Sign In or Register to comment.