If i hear...

Ashbeck
Ashbeck Posts: 235
edited January 2016 in Pro race
...Dimension Data described on TV as 'Dimension ...DARTAR.." one more f**king time I'm going to kick the sh*te out of my tv.

It's 'Dimension D-A-T-A...'

DAAAAAAYYYYYTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA

There's no 'R' in the middle....there's no 'R' at the end.

Stop it now. Just stop it. FFS

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Luckily they haven't got Jagwar as the team cars.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Would that be automaytic Jagwars?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I prefer Team DD

And FWIW company is known as Di-Data in my neck of the woods...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    You should tell your father.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Isn't the pronunciation 'dar-ta' the original English pronunciation, which is why it's used in Australia?

I thought 'day-ta' was an Americanism that is now ubiquitous in the UK...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • It's 'datta', foolz.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Totally agree , grinds my gears big time! Sounds fairly normal when Robbie McEwen says it, must be the accent. Time for the chuckle brothers to retire
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Isn't the pronunciation 'dar-ta' the original English pronunciation, which is why it's used in Australia?

I thought it was the other way round.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

This is correct. When I worked in BT in the early '90s only the sandal weaving, morris dancing, scrumpy swilling throwbacks clung to the original dar-ta affectation. It was quite cute.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    None of it matters. 92% in the UK use Dayta as the pronunciation.

That's English.

Everything else is wrong. Bloody antipodeans and 'murcans bas*ardising our language.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Our?

Get out.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    964Cup wrote:
    Generally daft extended vowels are a hallmark of merkins trying to pronounce words they think are furrin. Consider "ris-oh-tow" and "par-star". Those two make me quite enraged when I hear them. Dar-tar is, I think, strine, but no more forgiveable for that. Mind you, we have people in this otherwise self-evidently superior country who think the "a" in bath is short. What can you do? [Apart from enforcing received pronunciation at gunpoint, which would be my preferred solution].

Finally, somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

As for Joel claiming any standing on communicators, given his advocacy of a catastrophically bad broadcaster, that's pretty funny.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Macaloon wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

As for Joel claiming any standing on communicators, given his advocacy of a catastrophically bad broadcaster, that's pretty funny.

True
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The CEO of Dimension Data says day-ta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.
  • joelsim
    Milton50 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

True

True indeed.

#CKFC
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.

well at least they arent Team Bombardier then :lol:

and yes its Di-Data round these parts, had some friends who work for them.
  • How will Rob 'Atch pronounce it?

I'm hoping for the full Sunday Name: Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka.

While we're on mispronunciations of teams, P&P's close relative Carlton Kirby - Matthew Corbet to their Chuckle Bros - seems to have a mental block on Bora Argon 18 - he's transported the German outfit to Spain and rebranded then Bora Aragon.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ashbeck wrote:
    ...Dimension Data described on TV as 'Dimension ...DARTAR.." one more f**king time I'm going to kick the sh*te out of my tv.

It's 'Dimension D-A-T-A...'

DAAAAAAYYYYYTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA

There's no 'R' in the middle....there's no 'R' at the end.

Stop it now. Just stop it. FFS

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

My head office is in your illustrious county and my MD pronounces it just as you described. If I give you the address you are more than welcome to pay him a visit to deal with him accordingly. I was subjected to it last week and was on the verge of throwing him from the office window........ It is bl88dy irritating.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • awavey wrote:
    as a French Canadian, who must look much racing on his laptop in English, Spanish, Belgian, Dutch or French with Thierry Adam unfortunately , pronunciation, I do not care. :wink: As far as i can see races.

well at least they arent Team Bombardier then :lol:

and yes its Di-Data round these parts, had some friends who work for them.

with the fall of the stock market, their share is less than one Canadian dollar each, there will be no Team Bombardier. But I admit that Bombardier could cause pronunciation problem. :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I still call them Qhubeka.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I still call them Qhubeka.

That's a good call...
  • I still call them Barloworld