Average commute

2»

Comments

• My commute (direct route) is about 9.5km, although I will regularly extend that a bit - most days, each way, I tend to ride 12-15km, and some days will do 20-30k just to get some extra riding in. My job also involves visits during the day, and I use my bike for these, so in total, for commuting/work travel, will generally ride between 90km and 150km per week, all year round.

For me, it is the chance to build in some exercise into an otherwise busy life; with small children, the opportunities to go out for half-day / full day rides at the weekend are pretty rare. Great way to unwind and switch off ...

I can wear pretty casual clothes for work, so usually just cycle in jeans / 'chino's and a tech (ideally Merino) layer. I don't hammer it, but don't hang about either, so sweat a bit, but can sponge down (or shower if need be) at work.

I ride a CX bike mostly, currently fitted with 28c slicks. Most of the year it wears 35c landcruisers which (whilst heavy) roll well, are pretty puncture-proof, and most importantly allow a mix of on and off-road riding between home and work, or work visits. Occasionally, (from Spring to Autumn) I'll take the MTB and string together an almost complete trail loop into work (or home) which is a 20-25k fun commute.
  • Slicks are as good as nobblies in the wet. You'd have to get up to around 80mph before you need a tread pattern to clear the water with such skinny tyres.
    Car tyres need tread to clear water because of the size of their contact patch.

You are probably correct, think it is just a mental thing of going from a wide nobbie to a thin slick tire.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I used to commute 12 miles each way on a road bike, then I moved and got lazy... I am now regearing up for a 14 mile commute a few days a week.

It would make a huge difference with the type of bike you plan to use. 18 miles on the road with a mtb, I'm tired just thinking about it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slicks are as good as nobblies in the wet. You'd have to get up to around 80mph before you need a tread pattern to clear the water with such skinny tyres.
    Car tyres need tread to clear water because of the size of their contact patch.

You are probably correct, think it is just a mental thing of going from a wide nobblie to a thin slick tire.
    The only thing the tread pattern is good for is telling you when the tread rubber is nearly worn out!

I use a Continental Sport contact that has (to all intents and purposes) no tread at all, 1.5" width, no issue. the slick will grip better than a nobbly as you put more rubber on the road despite the narrower width, and no nasty squirming tread blocks either.

The only benefit of more tread pattern is that the water droplets coming off the tyre on wet days are smaller as they have coalesced from a smaller surface patch, the Sport Contact does though some hefty water droplets compared to me previous Slickasaurus (aka Detonator) which had much more patterning.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah absolutely correct when you think about it, bigger contact patch compared to nobbly. I use the same Continental Sport Contacts. Like I said it is just a mental issue and not a physical one. They do grip good. Only had one off on them, but sure it would have happened on knobbies (turned to fast/harsh on wet Yorkshire paving and front end washed out).