Average commute

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited February 2016 in MTB general
Just wondering what peoples average commutes to work are,

Going to be moving shortly, and am contemplating train to work and commuting back. When I finish trains don't start until an hour an half later. By that time I could be home by riding. Commute will be roughly 18 miles one way, does anyone do this daily? And how does it affect you?

Trying to see if it is going to be possible to work a 10 hour shift (physical), travel by train going and cycle back daily for 5 days a week. Or is that just going to be too much to do day in day out?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to do 16.5 miles each way, pretty hilly as well.
    It wasn't easy, especially when it's windy and motivation was a problem in winter. I rarely managed more than four days a week.
    I'm doing 11 miles each way now and it's a lot easier. The forecast 45mph wind tomorrow will have me driving.
  • What sort of time did it take?

I know the weather doesn't help I got used to a 8 mile each way commute before and depending on wind it would vary between 22-45 minutes.

The route seems to be 50/50 up/down using the canal system.

Work is very physical atm so trying to see if it could be an option, rather than using the train and spending 3 hours to get home. These are the only options I have atm so want to try and be some what realistic.

Looked in to car sharing etc, but no one on my shift is going the same way and the same with other car sharing sites. So atm it is either a 3 hour public transport commute or half for bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't really help, my commute is a five minute ride, if I go slowly.

Living and working in the same village is good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    7.5 mile each way not easy after a 12 hour day and even worst after a 12 hour not but I do enjoy it down side is having to get up at silly o clock 4.20am and set off at 4.45am I say go for it you will only grow fat behind the wheel...
  • I managed 14 miles a day before 7 miles each way with ease. In the rain and cold it was harder, but didn't stop me.

But now I am contemplating a much longer route and wondering one way and wondering if it could be sustainable. Getting there would be no problem (train).

The problem is getting back. Long wait for public transport or try to commute back every day,
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    Can't really help, my commute is a five minute ride, if I go slowly.

Living and working in the same village is good.

Do you ever go quickly? But I do envy your short commute.

I live too far from work now to bike it. But in the past I've done around about 10 mile each way. I wouldn't fancy doing much more. But then I'm an old bugger
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I did 11 miles each way for a year and by some co-incidence only got rained on a few days. I found it tough but got me fit and strong.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I do 6.7 miles each way, despite frequent travelling overseas with work I managed 1345miles last year commuting.

I would say about 6-10 miles is ideal, far enough to be a decent workout, not far enough to be a bind.

2 works colleagues commute circa 2 miles, as its not far enough for a workout they just trundle in slowly in works clothes.

Routine is key, for me I have specific commuting clothes (Base layer T-shirt and shorts for 11 months of the year), I don't bother with padded shorts, wear office socks and use my old MTB shoes so I don't have to use the ones I got muddy/wet on the previous days MTB ride. I bring in a shirt every other day (iron and fold warm, roll it up in a bag just before I leave) and swap my trousers on a day I'm not carrying a shirt - this works FOR ME.

Facilities at work are minimal so if its chucking it down I don't ride in, (I do keep clean skiddies and socks at work anyway just in case) but if its going to be raining on the way home I just man up.

18 miles each end of a 10 hour day is of course possible, but motivation will be an issue, so you need to find something that works for you, that may be 2/3 days a week or a routine of travel half way and cycle the rest can work (A colleague does that, drives 9miles to a convenient village and cycles the remaining 8 miles - in summer he will do a day or two a week full distance).

It also depends on how long alternative transport will take compared to 18 miles on a bike (which could take between 1hr 40 in a city and about 1hr 10 cross country.)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 8 miles each way, takes me about 25-30 mins and really helped with my fitness!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    What kind of bike will you be using? I found riding a cx bike for my 10 mile commute took less out of me than the same commute on my hardtail.

If you're only riding back then I say go for it. Aim for using the bike alternate days then build up to everyday. A single ride will be less exhausting than riding each way.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    oodboo wrote:
    What kind of bike will you be using? I found riding a cx bike for my 10 mile commute took less out of me than the same commute on my hardtail.
    You definitely want a road orientated bike, Road, CX or skinny tyred Hybrid, I've done a few 20+ mile rides on my Hybrid commuter and can average just under 20mph (Not that 20 miles is the limit, just never needed to go further!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mines only about two miles each way so time wise it works out about the same driving as cycling in. Bike does play a big part I would say. I've used all mine an the road bike was not only quicker but less tiring though more jarring from the lack of suspension but not everyone has cobbles to negotiate.

You could probably get away with skinny tyres on most hard tails for commuting, or like ive done a pair of 2.1 semi slicks an no suspension which so far is working a treat
  • rockmonkeysc
    When I was doing 16 miles each way it took 55 minutes but it was quite hilly. My current 10 mile commute takes 30 minutes.
    I use a road bike for commuting and completely neglect it.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Mines only 7 miles each way and I just use my hardtail bike takes about half hour as I don't pedal fast lol. I swapped tyres to some race kings which are better, did try some slick tyres but hated them.

In summer months my way home is off road via trans pennie trail and is longer 13.5 mile.

I have been recently looking into cycle to work scheme and thinking of getting a hybrid or cx bike but not sure what to do.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    I commute in the summer 10 miles each way. I drive the van to work on a Monday morning, Commute by bike Mon eve - Thursday morning, and drive home on Thursday night, ready to go out quoting jobs on a Friday.

My routine is generally lazy and disorganised. Last minute panic to chuck stuff in a bag and go. Always late to work, but hey - I'm the boss

This year I WILL get prepped the night before.....

I WILL
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    8 miles each way, takes me about 25-30 mins and really helped with my fitness!

I started off using my hardtail with city jet tyres fitted, this was ok but then was offered a Specialized TriCross for a bargain, its made it a quicker journey thats for sure!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Late reply as always (I have no life when at work),

I think motivation to do this every day is going to be the biggest factor.

Have been doing some recce on Goggle maps, and I have two routes available from what I can see so far. One is on the road, done this before and know for a fact 60% is up some very steep hills on the road (maybe too steep after 10 hours), and the other would be on the canal, so two different bikes.

Not attempted the canal route yet (think I might have to do a practice run), but that would be on the XC HT. Given it would be at 5am I would have to look in to some proper lights. But it would be fairly flat all the way albeit slightly longer.

Because of when I finish, and when public transport starts. If I went to work by bike and train, this would limit me to leg power or getting a train back. But I would have to wait 1 hour and half for the first train (still need to get from work to train station, then station to home). Or I could get back in the same time using bus and train, but that is like 3 changes and depends on them all running on time.

This is why I am contemplating cycling. Couldn't travel and cycle part way as no one else travels that way.

And it is going to be until I get in the RN, Get a new temp job closer or get some wheels with a motor, electric bike seems appealing now.

Any ideas as I am becoming stuck, either it is make the commute and be tired, or put up with public transport and it takes the time if not longer. Got a month to pick one or the other. Doing 7 miles each way by bike was just right before even if the heavens opened up.

Have both bikes and they are machines, I am the weakest link in this chain here. For 5 days I am going to be pushing the time, work travel home 8 hours sleep get ready and then set off again.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I think motivation to do this every day is going to be the biggest factor.

My girlfriend does 4 miles each way to the train station and back, 5 days a week, along some very crummy country roads and only the absolute foulest weather puts her off. She leaves at 6:45 am and arrives back at 7:10 pm (dark both ways at this time of the year) so there's a long day and two long train journeys to crush the enthusiasm in between, not to mention a pretty shitty bike to deal with. To help motivate herself she's pledged that she's going to do London to Paris this year (so her daily commute counts as training) and she charts her milage on an imaginary cycle across Europe. She's just gone out of the far side of Germany. She's doing amazing for someone who's not been cycling for very long.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • FishFish
    A pal of mine had a 16 mile commute and so what he used to do was to drive in on Monday with the bike in the boot. Go home that evening leaving the car at work. Bike in on Tue am, work, leave the bike and drive home etc so he cycled once a day. He liked that routine even though it completely removed choice. Did it for 6 months during the summer months. Rather sadly he married a Welsh girl.

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    FishFish wrote:
    . Rather sadly he married a Welsh girl.

what's that got to do with his commuting options? :shock: :lol:

I used to do 14 miles a day. I lived 35 miles from work, but would drive to the edge of Cardiff and cycle in to town. it was cheaper as I didn't have to pay for parking and it worked out roughly the same time as sitting in traffic.
  • FishFish
    Well in answer to...

I'd cycle a thousand miles each way if I were to have a Welsh girl within the journey. Especially one who wore the Welsh National Dress with the pointed hat and the kit made out of a skinned narwall.

mmmmmm My fantasy.

• I must be blessed having a total commute to work and back at less than 1 mile :O

For me it would be more hassle to get the bike out and find somewhere to store it each day.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Had 3 jobs in my life, all three of them have fortunately been with a mile of where I stay, so about 5 minutes by bike, 10 minutes if there is busy traffic (rare) or bad weather (common!).
  • I like the commute on the bike wakes you up and relieves the night before.

Well the problem sorted itself out in the end with a now acceptable commute of 5 miles on the road, but I see some reservoirs and canals that link to it adding a mile and a half. Its going to be a good 6.5 mile commute :)
  • The Rookie
    Similar to mine, I reckon 6.5 is the minimum to get some value from the workout.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Similar to mine, I reckon 6.5 is the minimum to get some value from the workout.

I was wondering this as I do 7.5 mile each way if I go by road and got so used to doing it maybe I'm not feeling any benefit anymore?

Once its lighter day/evenings, I can go an off road route down canal paths and along trans pennie way trail but this is 13.5mile to home so another 6mile on top which I was some weeks doing 4 or 5 times a week so 27mile each day ended up doing over 100mile a week.

Is that too much for a ride to work and back?
  • Hmm, I've never done the commute on bike for a workout. Just done it as I enjoy it. Strava did spice things up though always trying to beat my personal best or beat the roadies on certain segments.
  • My commute is about 4 miles each way. I do this 4 times a week through all weathers. I think if it was 4 times the distance motivation would be my biggest problem. Having the right bike/tyres for the journey is key as is having the right clothing.

If your job is physical as well then that is a long day. I do find though that after commuting home (even though it's a short distance) I feel physically and mentally as if I haven't been to work. It seems to be my equivalent of a reboot.

I commute to save money and for the exercise, but the added benefit of all the stresses and strains being wiped out is a big bonus.
  • Thats one of the reason's I commute by bike, it is just you and your thoughts and it does take away the stresses of the day.

But my problem resolved itself so all is good now. Yeah the right clothing does help, and tires I only got slicks last year after using knoblies for the past few years. Massive difference although I don't trust them entirely in the wet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Slicks are as good as nobblies in the wet. You'd have to get up to around 80mph before you need a tread pattern to clear the water with such skinny tyres.
    Car tyres need tread to clear water because of the size of their contact patch.