Toughest climbs in Glasgow

Barca1
Barca1 Posts: 7
Does anyone have any recommendations for toughest road climbs in Glasgow?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As a starter for 10, I think the Crow Road takes a bit of effort - it's 5 years since I did it and my son was having an 11-hour operation at Glasgow Royal to deal with a tumour in his pelvis so my mind was elsewhere when I was riding but it might be worth a look.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Crow Road from Lennoxtown over Campsies and Tak Ma Doon Road from Kilsyth over Campsies are two of the longest in that area. Plenty of short sharp climbs in the actual city, e.g Gardner Street in Partick, Montrose Street near Strathclyde Uni. On the south side, there's Gleniffer Braes from Paisley, Ferenze Road from Neilston, Bonnyton Moor Road from Waterfoot, Eaglesham Moor Rd, Ardochrig Road Auldhouse, Darvel Mast Climb at Priestland. Also plenty of climbing around the Clyde Valley/Braidwood/Lanark area. Further afield there's the Menock Pass in the Leadhills, Beef Tubs at Moffet etc.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    bobones wrote:
    Crow Road from Lennoxtown over Campsies and Tak Ma Doon Road from Kilsyth over Campsies are two of the longest in that area. Plenty of short sharp climbs in the actual city, e.g Gardner Street in Partick, Montrose Street near Strathclyde Uni. On the south side, there's Gleniffer Braes from Paisley, Ferenze Road from Neilston, Bonnyton Moor Road from Waterfoot, Eaglesham Moor Rd, Ardochrig Road Auldhouse, Darvel Mast Climb at Priestland. Also plenty of climbing around the Clyde Valley/Braidwood/Lanark area. Further afield there's the Menock Pass in the Leadhills, Beef Tubs at Moffet etc.

Plenty to choose from there.

I'd also add the Queens view from Drymen side, the Pipe Track road either side of Drymen and the Dukes Pass at Aberfoyle. all outside Glasgow but within an hour/ 90 mins of the City.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Tak Ma Doon Road has to be ridden just for the name - as does The Crow Road (just glad I didn't know the expression the day I was riding it)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Depends how you define tough. Short and steep, I'd add Montrose St from George St to Cathedral St (part of the Commonwealth Games RR circuit) and Scott St (off Sauchiehall St up to the art school).

Longer: the East Kilbride Rd from Burnside Rd towards EK (I once measured it as almost exactly 2 miles) and Carmunock Rd from Kings park up to Carmunock (haven't measured it, but probably 1-1.5 miles).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Crapaud wrote:
    Depends how you define tough. Short and steep, I'd add Montrose St from George St to Cathedral St (part of the Commonwealth Games RR circuit) and Scott St (off Sauchiehall St up to the art school).

Longer: the East Kilbride Rd from Burnside Rd towards EK (I once measured it as almost exactly 2 miles) and Carmunock Rd from Kings park up to Carmunock (haven't measured it, but probably 1-1.5 miles).

I can confirm Montrose St is rock hard, certainly glad once you get over it
  • Barca1
    Barca1 Posts: 7
    Thanks guys, some of those climbs too seriously tough! Has anyone managed to climb Scott St? Looks almost unrideable, steepest I've done was Wrynose Pass in Lake District which was an agonising 29%. Scott Street hits 33%
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Scott Street is alot easier than Wrynose, its short enough to power up it rather than have to pace yourself. Still hurts a bit towards the top though!

Toughest climb close to Glasgow is probably Humphrey road starting in Old Kilpatrick on the north side of the Erskine bridge. The top part is gravel but that bit is still rideable with road tyres (at least it was last summer), its over 300 metres elevation gain averaging about 10% but with a section double that or more