Quintana vs Froome

13»

Comments

• philbar72 wrote:
    I actually like both of them, but they are not yet at loggerheads or have any real issues with each other. that kind of needs to happen....

Totally... the most interesting thing of the TdF 2009 was the relationship between Contador and Armstrong... the most interesting thing of the 2011 TdF was when Contador attacked Schleck while the latter had a mechanical.

The racing between the two is already fairly boring most of the times, if at least there was some rivalry, that would make up for it
    left the forum March 2023
  • professeur wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    Resurrecting this one as they've both had good years and I think they're done for 2016. Not stellar for Froome but the bar is set very high for him! I've only bothered with stage races + Froome's Olympic ITT. Head-to-head it's Quintana 3 : 1 Froome... but Froome bagged the biggest prize.

Quintana (73 race days, 2392 CQ points):
    San Luis 3rd
    Catalunya 1st
    Pais Vasco 3rd
    Romandie 1st
    Route du Sud 1st
    TdF 3rd
    Vuelta 1st

Froome (72 race days, 2552 CQ points):
    Herald Sun Tour 1st
    Catalunya 8th
    Romandie 38th
    Dauphine 1st
    TdF 1st
    Olympic ITT 3rd
    Vuelta 2nd

EDIT: on second thoughts, it is stellar for Froome in points terms, beaten only by 2013.

not stellar for Froome? i want the same thing you smoke

Froome's season is the best season for cyclist since the last double (Pantani i think)

Haha - I did backtrack on that. It's all relative and my gut reaction to those results was that he may be disappointed with some of it, I.e. he really could have done a GT double this year, got Olympic Gold... Still, pretty decent tho!

Pretty decent though? Its the most dominant 3 month stretch a cyclist has had in decades! Puts him firmly in the discussion of top 5 cyclists of all time

Oh yeah, definitely decent :D . My thought process was along the lines of he'd expect to win the TdF and Dauphine and would he really be happy with the Vuelta and Olympic result? I was being unduly negative because of that.

In recent years, I'd say Wiggins' 2012 run beats Froome's 2016 it but it depends on what you value more, e.g. Froome's Vuelta against Wiggins' Paris-Nice and Romandie. There's also Contador's 2008 courtesy of his team's TdF exclusion.

A also think 'over-rated' Quintana's results are not bad at all. Basically, if he turns up to a stage race he ends up on the podium, throughout the year.

Wiggins wasn't even the strongest rider on his own team in 2012.

If you put Contador's mentality into Quintana's body then he might win the Tour, but he just doesn't seem to have that mongrel in him like Froome and Contador. Maybe its just the way his face looks climbing, im sure he is going full gas but sometimes you gotta risk losing the podium to come 1st (Contador this Vuelta).

Froome had a bout of his exotic illness in 2012, wasn't at Paris Nice and wasn't exactly visible at Romandie. But I'm sure you being an expert an' all would know that
  • professeur wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    Resurrecting this one as they've both had good years and I think they're done for 2016. Not stellar for Froome but the bar is set very high for him! I've only bothered with stage races + Froome's Olympic ITT. Head-to-head it's Quintana 3 : 1 Froome... but Froome bagged the biggest prize.

Quintana (73 race days, 2392 CQ points):
    San Luis 3rd
    Catalunya 1st
    Pais Vasco 3rd
    Romandie 1st
    Route du Sud 1st
    TdF 3rd
    Vuelta 1st

Froome (72 race days, 2552 CQ points):
    Herald Sun Tour 1st
    Catalunya 8th
    Romandie 38th
    Dauphine 1st
    TdF 1st
    Olympic ITT 3rd
    Vuelta 2nd

EDIT: on second thoughts, it is stellar for Froome in points terms, beaten only by 2013.

not stellar for Froome? i want the same thing you smoke

Froome's season is the best season for cyclist since the last double (Pantani i think)

Haha - I did backtrack on that. It's all relative and my gut reaction to those results was that he may be disappointed with some of it, I.e. he really could have done a GT double this year, got Olympic Gold... Still, pretty decent tho!

Pretty decent though? Its the most dominant 3 month stretch a cyclist has had in decades! Puts him firmly in the discussion of top 5 cyclists of all time

Oh yeah, definitely decent :D . My thought process was along the lines of he'd expect to win the TdF and Dauphine and would he really be happy with the Vuelta and Olympic result? I was being unduly negative because of that.

In recent years, I'd say Wiggins' 2012 run beats Froome's 2016 it but it depends on what you value more, e.g. Froome's Vuelta against Wiggins' Paris-Nice and Romandie. There's also Contador's 2008 courtesy of his team's TdF exclusion.

A also think 'over-rated' Quintana's results are not bad at all. Basically, if he turns up to a stage race he ends up on the podium, throughout the year.

Wiggins wasn't even the strongest rider on his own team in 2012.

If you put Contador's mentality into Quintana's body then he might win the Tour, but he just doesn't seem to have that mongrel in him like Froome and Contador. Maybe its just the way his face looks climbing, im sure he is going full gas but sometimes you gotta risk losing the podium to come 1st (Contador this Vuelta).

Froome had a bout of his exotic illness in 2012, wasn't at Paris Nice and wasn't exactly visible at Romandie. But I'm sure you being an expert an' all would know that

He could have put minutes into Wiggins in the 2012 TDF. Somewhat invalidates Wiggins' 2012 being superior to Froome's 2016. Not saying Froome's 2012 palmares was better than Wiggins obviously.
  • Yeah, didn't think your knowledge was too hot
  • Yeah, didn't think your knowledge was too hot

It's a fact mate. Not my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9lgORl_zA.

How can you watch that and say Wiggins was stronger, Froome looks like he's on a training ride
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Yeah, didn't think your knowledge was too hot

How can you watch that and say Wiggins was stronger, Froome looks like he's on a training ride

I call BS.

Froome never looks like he's on a training ride, even when he is on a training ride.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Yeah, didn't think your knowledge was too hot

That's the last kilometre of the final mountain stage, where Wiggins realises he's, barring accidents, wrapped the Tour up. Do you really think Froome could've put the 3 minutes he needed into Wiggins in 1 km?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I didn't realise there were still people out there that believed that 'Froome was best in 2012' crap.
  • Pross wrote:
    I didn't realise there were still people out there that believed that 'Froome was best in 2012' crap.

After reading Froome's book, I'm convinced there's at least one person and probably his now wife.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Pross wrote:

hahaha

it's obvious for everyone bar the few Wiggo supporters that Froome > Wiggins in 2012 and only team orders, like in Vuelta 2011, made Froome's final position 1 step lower than normal.

add in 3 TUE injections for Brad and Froome has now 4 TdF's. Only 1 to join the 5 club.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    1 min 50 brad put into froome in the time trials.

It would not have been enough IMO if Froome was let off the leash on those climbs.

I know there was a larger gap by the end, but Froome looked certainly the stronger rider.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ^2 mins including the prologue FTR
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    okgo wrote:
    1 min 50 brad put into froome in the time trials.

It would not have been enough IMO if Froome was let off the leash on those climbs.

I know there was a larger gap by the end, but Froome looked certainly the stronger rider.
    I'm not in the "Froome would definitely have won" camp, but he did also lose 1m 25s (I think) to Wiggins after a puncture on one of the early stages, a bit like what happened with Porte and TJ this year. Take that away and considering he finished with or ahead of Wiggins on every MTF... it would have been interesting to see what happened. Even more interesting might have been Froome on another team vs Wiggins and Sky! That might have satisfied Ugo's craving for some more intense rivalry at least :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    EnacheV wrote:
    it's obvious for everyone bar the few Wiggo supporters that Froome > Wiggins in 2012 and only team orders, like in Vuelta 2011, made Froome's final position 1 step lower than normal.
    But team orders don't become team orders by playing rock paper scissors - they get sorted out before the race even starts according to form that season and before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:
    But team orders don't become team orders by playing rock paper scissors - they get sorted out before the race even starts according to form that season and before.

The complete meritocracy without politics. Where do I sign up? It sounds nice.

Separately, I wish Froome had just joined another team.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

The complete meritocracy without politics. Where do I sign up? It sounds nice.

Separately, I wish Froome had just joined another team.

why?

they should had made Wiggins a domestique , it's clear that even on TUE's he was worse than Froome