Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Quintana vs Froome

Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,407
edited September 2016 in Pro race
I was having a discussion about who is the 'best climber' currently in the pro peleton. I think it is probably Chris Froome, but some would say Quintana. I'm not sure though.

Has anyone tallied up results of Froome vs Quintana head to heads and total wins / major results for each on important climbs? I would include smaller climbs that e.g. have an impact on stage race GC such as the Mur de Huy in the 2015 tour. I may have to check out the numbers if no one else has already.
«13

Posts

  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Alex99 wrote:
    I was having a discussion about who is the 'best climber' currently in the pro peloton. I think it is probably Chris Froome, but some would say Quintana. I'm not sure though.

    Has anyone tallied up results of Froome vs Quintana head to heads and total wins / major results for each on important climbs? I would include smaller climbs that e.g. have an impact on stage race GC such as the Mur de Huy in the 2015 tour. I may have to check out the numbers if no one else has already.

    According to the excellent CQ Rankings, Froome:

    Score is 20 - 17 (finishing in front of the other), with 3 wins for Froome (all Tour) and 2 for Quintana (1 Tour, 1 Dauphiné)

    Nbr Race date Race Rider 1(Froome) Rider 2 (Quintana)
    1 2/09/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 11 : Andorra la Vella (AND) - Cortals d´Encamp (AND) 32. 14.
    2 30/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 9 : Torrevieja - Alto Cumbre del Sol 2. 6.
    3 28/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 7 : Jodar - La Alpujarra 17. 8.
    4 23/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 2 : Alhaurin de la Torre - Caminito del Rey 7. 6.
    5 25/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 20 : Modane - L'Alpe d'Huez 5. 2.
    6 24/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 19 : Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne - La Toussuire 3. 2.
    7 23/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 18 : Gap - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne 12. 17.
    8 22/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 17 : Digne-Les-Bains - Pra-Loup 20. 18.
    9 18/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 14 : Rodez - Mende (Croix Neuve) 20. 21.
    10 16/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 12 : Lannemezan - Plateau de Beille 10. 11.
    11 15/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 11 : Pau - Cauterets 9. 11.
    12 14/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 10 : Tarbes - La Pierre-Saint-Martin 1. 3.
    13 2/05/2015 Sui Tour de Romandie, Stage 5 : Fribourg - Champex-Lac 7. 4.
    14 31/08/2014 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 9 : Carboneras de Guadazon - Estacion de Valdelinares 18. 14.
    15 28/08/2014 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 6 : Benalmadena - La Zubia/Cumbres Verdes 2. 5.
    16 27/03/2014 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 4 : Alp - Vallter 2000/Setcases 7. 5.
    17 26/03/2014 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 3 : Banyoles - Alp/La Molina 5. 3.
    18 20/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 20 : Annecy - Annecy/Semnoz 3. 1.
    19 19/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 19 : Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand Bornand 25. 22.
    20 18/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 18 : Gap - L'Alpe d'Huez 7. 4.
    21 14/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 15 : Givors - Mont Ventoux 1. 2.
    22 7/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 9 : Saint-Girons - Bagnères-de-Bigorre 14. 19.
    23 6/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 8 : Castres - Ax-3-Domaines 1. 9.
    24 8/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 20 : La Faisanera - Bola del Mundo 19. 48.
    25 5/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 17 : Santander - Fuente Dé 32. 12.
    26 3/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 16 : Gijon - Valgrande-Pajares (Cueto Negro) 14. 6.
    27 2/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 15 : La Robla - Lagos de Covadonga 23. 14.
    28 1/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 14 : Palas de Rei - Puerto de Ancares 5. 33.
    29 30/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 12 : Vilagarcia de Arousa - Mirador de Ezaro 5. 36.
    30 25/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 8 : Lleida - Collada de la Gallina (And) 4. 52.
    31 23/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 6 : Tarazona - Jaca 2. 103.
    32 21/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 4 : Baracaldo - Estación de Valdezcaray 15. 85.
    33 20/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 3 : Faustino V - Eibar (Arrate) 3. 62.
    34 10/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 7 : Morzine - Châtel 11. 41.
    35 9/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 6 : Saint-Alban-Leysse - Morzine 6. 1.
    36 8/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 : Saint-Trivier-sur-Moignans - Rumilly 31. 72.
    37 23/03/2011 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 3 : La Vall d’en Bas - Andorra (Pal) 62. 121.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,479
    In a Grand Tour it's Froome in the first two weeks and Quintana in the third week.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    I wouldn't bother with either, when Miguel Angel Lopez is around.

    “It was difficult because it is the first race that I have ever gone head to head with both Quintanas,” Lopez said in his post-race press conference. “It was not a surprise to see them there and it was very difficult because both Nairo and Dayer are very strong. I was alone with the two of them so I had to pay a lot of attention. I am still young and I need to learn a lot but I think that I can continue to beat them.”

    Confident huh.
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 11,187
    RichN95 wrote:
    In a Grand Tour it's Froome in the first two weeks and Quintana in the third week.

    Correction.

    In a GT, it's Froome on the first mountain stage (especially if it's a hockey stick), then they're pretty much even until the third week. ;-)
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Timoid. wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    I was having a discussion about who is the 'best climber' currently in the pro peloton. I think it is probably Chris Froome, but some would say Quintana. I'm not sure though.

    Has anyone tallied up results of Froome vs Quintana head to heads and total wins / major results for each on important climbs? I would include smaller climbs that e.g. have an impact on stage race GC such as the Mur de Huy in the 2015 tour. I may have to check out the numbers if no one else has already.

    According to the excellent CQ Rankings, Froome:

    Score is 20 - 17 (finishing in front of the other), with 3 wins for Froome (all Tour) and 2 for Quintana (1 Tour, 1 Dauphiné)

    Nbr Race date Race Rider 1(Froome) Rider 2 (Quintana)
    1 2/09/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 11 : Andorra la Vella (AND) - Cortals d´Encamp (AND) 32. 14.
    2 30/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 9 : Torrevieja - Alto Cumbre del Sol 2. 6.
    3 28/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 7 : Jodar - La Alpujarra 17. 8.
    4 23/08/2015 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 2 : Alhaurin de la Torre - Caminito del Rey 7. 6.
    5 25/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 20 : Modane - L'Alpe d'Huez 5. 2.
    6 24/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 19 : Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne - La Toussuire 3. 2.
    7 23/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 18 : Gap - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne 12. 17.
    8 22/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 17 : Digne-Les-Bains - Pra-Loup 20. 18.
    9 18/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 14 : Rodez - Mende (Croix Neuve) 20. 21.
    10 16/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 12 : Lannemezan - Plateau de Beille 10. 11.
    11 15/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 11 : Pau - Cauterets 9. 11.
    12 14/07/2015 Fra Tour de France, Stage 10 : Tarbes - La Pierre-Saint-Martin 1. 3.
    13 2/05/2015 Sui Tour de Romandie, Stage 5 : Fribourg - Champex-Lac 7. 4.
    14 31/08/2014 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 9 : Carboneras de Guadazon - Estacion de Valdelinares 18. 14.
    15 28/08/2014 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 6 : Benalmadena - La Zubia/Cumbres Verdes 2. 5.
    16 27/03/2014 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 4 : Alp - Vallter 2000/Setcases 7. 5.
    17 26/03/2014 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 3 : Banyoles - Alp/La Molina 5. 3.
    18 20/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 20 : Annecy - Annecy/Semnoz 3. 1.
    19 19/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 19 : Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand Bornand 25. 22.
    20 18/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 18 : Gap - L'Alpe d'Huez 7. 4.
    21 14/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 15 : Givors - Mont Ventoux 1. 2.
    22 7/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 9 : Saint-Girons - Bagnères-de-Bigorre 14. 19.
    23 6/07/2013 Fra Tour de France, Stage 8 : Castres - Ax-3-Domaines 1. 9.
    24 8/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 20 : La Faisanera - Bola del Mundo 19. 48.
    25 5/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 17 : Santander - Fuente Dé 32. 12.
    26 3/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 16 : Gijon - Valgrande-Pajares (Cueto Negro) 14. 6.
    27 2/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 15 : La Robla - Lagos de Covadonga 23. 14.
    28 1/09/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 14 : Palas de Rei - Puerto de Ancares 5. 33.
    29 30/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 12 : Vilagarcia de Arousa - Mirador de Ezaro 5. 36.
    30 25/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 8 : Lleida - Collada de la Gallina (And) 4. 52.
    31 23/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 6 : Tarazona - Jaca 2. 103.
    32 21/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 4 : Baracaldo - Estación de Valdezcaray 15. 85.
    33 20/08/2012 Esp Vuelta a España, Stage 3 : Faustino V - Eibar (Arrate) 3. 62.
    34 10/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 7 : Morzine - Châtel 11. 41.
    35 9/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 6 : Saint-Alban-Leysse - Morzine 6. 1.
    36 8/06/2012 Fra Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 : Saint-Trivier-sur-Moignans - Rumilly 31. 72.
    37 23/03/2011 Esp Volta a Catalunya, Stage 3 : La Vall d’en Bas - Andorra (Pal) 62. 121.

    Awesome. Many thanks. I didn't know about that CQ ranking site.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!


    I think in Le Tour they are not putting long flat TT in the route so Froome doesn't get a massive advantage, it's a bit unfair on Froome
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,947
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!


    I think in Le Tour they are not putting long flat TT in the route so Froome doesn't get a massive advantage, it's a bit unfair on Froome

    They can't keep not putting in long TTs in an attempt to scupper him.
    Besides, his opponents should be more concerned that after 2 Tours of bad luck* he's on for a corker this year.



    *I'm classing him getting ill last year as bad luck, rather than him hanging on as good luck.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!


    I think in Le Tour they are not putting long flat TT in the route so Froome doesn't get a massive advantage, it's a bit unfair on Froome

    They can't keep not putting in long TTs in an attempt to scupper him.
    Besides, his opponents should be more concerned that after 2 Tours of bad luck* he's on for a corker this year.



    *I'm classing him getting ill last year as bad luck, rather than him hanging on as good luck.


    Sheesh, OCDP, that's stretching the definition of bad luck more than a bit. He won the bloody thing

    By rights, he's on for a bad one this year (sulky in 2012, won in 2013, abandoned 2014. won in 2015)
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,715
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!


    I think in Le Tour they are not putting long flat TT in the route so Froome doesn't get a massive advantage, it's a bit unfair on Froome

    They can't keep not putting in long TTs in an attempt to scupper him.
    Besides, his opponents should be more concerned that after 2 Tours of bad luck* he's on for a corker this year.



    *I'm classing him getting ill last year as bad luck, rather than him hanging on as good luck.


    Sheesh, OCDP, that's stretching the definition of bad luck more than a bit. He won the bloody thing

    By rights, he's on for a bad one this year (sulky in 2012, won in 2013, abandoned 2014. won in 2015)

    Harsh. Coming 2nd on team orders is hardly a bad year!
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,947
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The big difference is that Froome's TT is vastly superior. Not been so much of an issue recently as the TTs seem to be getting shorter!


    I think in Le Tour they are not putting long flat TT in the route so Froome doesn't get a massive advantage, it's a bit unfair on Froome

    They can't keep not putting in long TTs in an attempt to scupper him.
    Besides, his opponents should be more concerned that after 2 Tours of bad luck* he's on for a corker this year.



    *I'm classing him getting ill last year as bad luck, rather than him hanging on as good luck.


    Sheesh, OCDP, that's stretching the definition of bad luck more than a bit. He won the bloody thing

    Not at all - you don't win the Tour by good luck alone, but you can lose from bad luck.
    What ailed him last year was well contained- or not quite severe enough - to prevent him from hanging on. He was relieved, no doubt: but in performance terms, I doubt that he's happy with how things hanged in the balance for that last week.
    If you get to the point you're in yellow in the last week of the Tour, you want to be crushing your rivals on the showpiece stages, not mincing about hoping to cling on.
  • He won

    He had luck in the form of Poels and Titchie to see him through the Alpe

    He was FINE
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    LOL @ 'Sulky in 2012'. He was 'lucky'* last year because of the wind split and was hanging on in the end, as he was in 2013, as you would expect with the extreme preparation he needs to beat Quintana. It's a cracking match-up. Shame (massive tragedy for cycling fans worldwide) we don't get to see the odd one-off on a hockey-stick and have to make do with one encounter every 2 years. I'll be surprised if he's anything like as good this year. GT's are too hard.

    *Not so much that Froome had good luck. He & the team rode the cobbles and the wind like bosses, but that Quintana was caught behind the split. Without that time loss Quintana may have risked more and with earlier exposure, Froome may have run out of resources sooner.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • I do think acknowledgement is overdue of Rich's role in adding 'hockey stick' to the permanent BR lexicon
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    He's a one-trick pony that lad. Unlike my multi-faceted Camargue horse.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,479
    I do think acknowledgement is overdue of Rich's role in adding 'hockey stick' to the permanent BR lexicon
    I can't claim it as wholly original though - I adopted it from climatology https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_graph
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    *Adds climate change JCL to the charge sheet.*
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,947
    Not getting to see Obree ride in the pro peloton is one of the great disappointments of my cycling fandom.
    There are parallels with Froome. There's the athletic "otherness"... but if I'm honest, it was the potential for haplessness that I found exciting.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Not getting to see Obree ride in the pro peloton is one of the great disappointments of my cycling fandom.
    There are parallels with Froome. There's the athletic "otherness"... but if I'm honest, it was the potential for haplessness that I found exciting.



    And speculating about whether he'd delve into his musette after the feed zone and EVER find marmalade sandwiches therein
  • Looks like Catalunya, TdF and Rio could be the only head-to-heads this year.
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    And Romandie
  • AshbeckAshbeck Posts: 235
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Not getting to see Obree ride in the pro peloton is one of the great disappointments of my cycling fandom.
    There are parallels with Froome. There's the athletic "otherness"... but if I'm honest, it was the potential for haplessness that I found exciting.


    Obree? is he that Scottish nut job who eats jam sandwiches and builds bikes out of old toilet cisterns?

    The parallels to Froome are striking.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    And Romandie

    Ta - missed that one
  • professeur wrote:
    Looks like Catalunya, TdF and Rio could be the only head-to-heads this year.


    Cue Maca....
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ We'll never see the glorious spectacle of Bertie baiting Froome in a training race again.
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Obree? is he that Scottish nut job who eats jam sandwiches and builds bikes out of old toilet cisterns?

    The parallels to Froome are striking.

    Oi. Out of order.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Macaloon wrote:
    LOL @ 'Sulky in 2012'. He was 'lucky'* last year because of the wind split and was hanging on in the end, as he was in 2013, as you would expect with the extreme preparation he needs to beat Quintana. It's a cracking match-up. Shame (massive tragedy for cycling fans worldwide) we don't get to see the odd one-off on a hockey-stick and have to make do with one encounter every 2 years. I'll be surprised if he's anything like as good this year. GT's are too hard.

    *Not so much that Froome had good luck. He & the team rode the cobbles and the wind like bosses, but that Quintana was caught behind the split. Without that time loss Quintana may have risked more and with earlier exposure, Froome may have run out of resources sooner.

    2015 tour... Quintana struggled early on, Froome later. I think they both took their opportunities to put the boot in. As others have mentioned, not much TT, so it was more of a Quintana parcours. Still Froome won, so it says a lot.
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Macaloon wrote:
    ^ We'll never see the glorious spectacle of Bertie baiting Froome in a training race again.
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Obree? is he that Scottish nut job who eats jam sandwiches and builds bikes out of old toilet cisterns?

    The parallels to Froome are striking.

    Oi. Out of order.

    Aye, show some respect.
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    Alex99 wrote:
    2015 tour... Quintana struggled early on, Froome later. I think they both took their opportunities to put the boot in. As others have mentioned, not much TT, so it was more of a Quintana parcours. Still Froome won, so it says a lot.

    It was a very impressive win on a Quintana parcours. No doubt. Hope I'm wrong again about the improbability of Froome (especially) being in the same shape this year.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • professeur wrote:
    Looks like Catalunya, TdF and Rio could be the only head-to-heads this year.
    Froome been confirmed for Catalunya?
  • professeur wrote:
    Looks like Catalunya, TdF and Rio could be the only head-to-heads this year.
    Froome been confirmed for Catalunya?

    He was intending to make it his first European race:
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/froome_to_return_to_catalonia_in_2016/

    I've also seen Paris-Nice mentioned for him, but I don't think that's right.
Sign In or Register to comment.