Power meter selection

2»

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Any recommendations on the best batteries for Powertap pedals?

PT recommend lithium batteries but good rechargeable ones work fine as well. I have also used normal alkaline and have had no issues, although, as mentioned in my earlier post, there are reports of dropouts in data which have been attributed to the use of alkaline batteries (on forums, not by PT).
  • Escher303 wrote:

I've thought about making both bikes mid compact and getting rotor cranks (in the hope they install easier) to make moving from bike to bike less of a hassle. Do your Rotor3D24 fit in and out of shimano cups easy enough?

Doesn't directly answer your question but I have a P2M on a SRAM Force 22 crank and swap between winter and summer bike: one with BB91 press fit GXP BB and one with english thread GXP thread BB. I use the same 52-36 Q rings on both bikes so only need to swap the crank. One has 105/Ultegra mix the other SRAM Red 10 speed with Force 22 front mech. Despite having Q rings and different setups swapping the crank takes a couple of minutes, one 8mm hex bolt and no adjustment of the shifting is required at all, dead easy. Just get on and ride. Perhaps it is a problem with just FSA or the amount of spacers you are using?
    I have rotor 24mm cranks with a Power2max fitted which I swap between a BB86 pressfit BB and an 68mm English threaded outboard BB and it works with both set ups.

I've contacted Power2Max and they're confirmed that you can't upgrade from the FSA Gossamer to Rotor3D24 as the interface with the P2M spider is different. The only other option I have for cranks is the FSA K-Force Light... which has the same diameter axle so unlikely to solve the problem.

So moral of the story, the Power2Max FSA cranks won't be as readily transferable unless both bikes are fitted with FSA bottom brackets.
  • redvision wrote:
    I love my p1s.

Had a niggle with the first set I had - bearings were rough & the right pedal wasn't paired with the left (this had even PT baffled ). Anyway, they were exchanged and no probs with the replacements.

I have only had a few weeks use out of them due to injury but have been very impressed.

The ease in which you can swap between bikes is fantastic. The readings are consistent (a bit depressing as well :oops:) & there is so much data produced that it really does help you improve, even in just a short period of time - IF you are prepared to look at the data & understand it.

Is probably worth noting there have been one or two reports of data drops/inconsistencies on long climbs, although I have experienced no such issue.
    From the forums it looks like these readings were likely caused by the use of 'ordinary' aaa batteries (alkaline) so make sure you stick to lithium or good rechargeable ones.

I do have a couple of criticisms though. The first is the cleats. They wear very very quickly, so try to avoid walking on them where possible.

The second is the lack of an android app. At the moment you can only update the pedals with an apple device. PT have been promising an android app for months now but there is still nothing.

Summary, if you can afford them & are prepared to look at & use the data then get them! You won't be disappointed.

Just fitting mine snd I see that the cleats are proprietary, and not Look Keo. The instructions say you have to use Powertaps cleats. Is this true? If so where do you buy them from?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    Just fitting mine snd I see that the cleats are proprietary, and not Look Keo. The instructions say you have to use Powertaps cleats. Is this true? If so where do you buy them from?

Reviews (Including DCR's) seem to suggest you can get away with Look Keo cleats, but a google turns up the official items easily enough:
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Powertap/P1-Pedal-Cleat-Set/BIN6?gclid=CJCvs-C0ysoCFRSeGwodEDICsA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Be interested to hear how you get on, I'm on Vector 2's myself.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:
    I love my p1s.

Had a niggle with the first set I had - bearings were rough & the right pedal wasn't paired with the left (this had even PT baffled ). Anyway, they were exchanged and no probs with the replacements.

I have only had a few weeks use out of them due to injury but have been very impressed.

The ease in which you can swap between bikes is fantastic. The readings are consistent (a bit depressing as well :oops:) & there is so much data produced that it really does help you improve, even in just a short period of time - IF you are prepared to look at the data & understand it.

Is probably worth noting there have been one or two reports of data drops/inconsistencies on long climbs, although I have experienced no such issue.
    From the forums it looks like these readings were likely caused by the use of 'ordinary' aaa batteries (alkaline) so make sure you stick to lithium or good rechargeable ones.

I do have a couple of criticisms though. The first is the cleats. They wear very very quickly, so try to avoid walking on them where possible.

The second is the lack of an android app. At the moment you can only update the pedals with an apple device. PT have been promising an android app for months now but there is still nothing.

Summary, if you can afford them & are prepared to look at & use the data then get them! You won't be disappointed.

The pedals should come with PT cleats (if buying new from a store).

If you need a second set they are really hard to find but turns out these are the exact ones and far cheaper than the originals!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod110505
  • redvision wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    I love my p1s.

The pedals should come with PT cleats (if buying new from a store).

If you need a second set they are really hard to find but turns out these are the exact ones and far cheaper than the originals!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod110505

Yes, those look like them. The Look Keo ones look the same ,almost, but are different on the critical rear egde that clips in. Makes them almost impossible to get out of the pedal.
  • redvision

Yes, those look like them. The Look Keo ones look the same ,almost, but are different on the critical rear egde that clips in. Makes them almost impossible to get out of the pedal.

I found new keos could work, but a set which had been used for about 300miles kept slipping/unclipping from the pedal (DCR was spot on with his claims about this).

The Wellgo's are identical to the originals (probably are the same just rebadged) and work perfectly. Plus they are a fraction of the price :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    redvision wrote:

The Wellgo's are identical to the originals (probably are the same just rebadged) and work perfectly. Plus they are a fraction of the price :D

Nice! Someone should message DCR so he can update his review!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Anyone got experience of the break out force on the P1 pedals. ? My 12nm Keo Blades require ankle dislocation to dismount.
    My p1 pedals arrived yesterday and they feel great,not to much force to break out compared to my keo blades.
    You can also adjust the tension.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    Anyone knows that STAGE pwoermeter for SRAM GXP is no the market yet?