Audaxing 2016

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, but he does have a wiggly one at the back of his head from his helmet.

Sadly no tiger stripes on his head.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Someone remind me: difference between an Audax and a Sportive? (Surely the singular is "Sportif"???)

And...mudguards?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Audaxes are cheaper, better stocked and aren't taken as seriously. People tend not to smash it (although the option is there).

I got ratarsed on sat so wasn't gonna be smashing it!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    coriordan wrote:
    I got ratarsed on sat so wasn't gonna be smashing it!
    Is that why the gf was poorly?
    Lovely day for it, unfortunately no way I could have done it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    SecretSam wrote:
    Someone remind me: difference between an Audax and a Sportive? (Surely the singular is "Sportif"???)

And...mudguards?

The oft-quoted answer:
    "Sportivers pretend they're racing, audaxers pretend they're not racing"

The key difference is that a Sportive is more organised: signs, marshalls, feed stations etc. wheeras an Audax has a greater emphasis on self reliance, following a directions sheet (although this is being eroded by the use of GPS navigation) and finding your own source of food. Sportives are much more expensive as a result. Audaxers have various awards they can get for completing so many in a year etc, leading up to Super Randonneur status etc. Audaxes have various checkpoints (often in a cafe) which might involve getting a stamp on a card or answering a question from a signpost etc - to prove you have completed the ride.

Audaxes it is mandatory to have a pannier rack or Carradice saddle bag, beard and sandals (SPD sandals of course!)!
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Where was the number at Devil's Dyke? Saw the one at Ditchling Beacon but not the one at DD.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    Where was the number at Devil's Dyke? Saw the one at Ditchling Beacon but not the one at DD.

It was on the meter for the car park to the right of the ice cream van.

I think it confused a lot of people as it was on a post on the left of the car park last year.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Managed 150km but my lack of fitness and my right hand going numb meant that I stoppedat the final check. Still, not a bad day on the bike and my 2 chums got to the end!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Just a reminder that I have two events out of Richmond-upon-Thames on Saturday 6th August. The 200km event in particular, is filling up nicely, so don't put it off too much longer before entering.

More info and links for entry:

http://www.marcusjb.com/cogidubnus-200
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    I'm not going to be able to do this one because some people have inconsiderately selected that day to get married. Grumble grumble. Shame as the 200k route lools great.

Any chance of deferring entry until next year? /notaseriousrequest
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    marcusjb wrote:
    Just a reminder that I have two events out of Richmond-upon-Thames on Saturday 6th August. The 200km event in particular, is filling up nicely, so don't put it off too much longer before entering.

More info and links for entry:

http://www.marcusjb.com/cogidubnus-200

Just signed up for this one. Roll on batchelor summer, mrs and kids in America for 6 weeks 8). Thanks Marcus! (I think I'll be using gears though).
  • marcusjb
    Cool - many thanks!

I've ridden the 200 twice on fixed and there's a couple of points I've had to walk. Barhatch Lane is way beyond me on fixed, the final 20+% ramp after what is already a long climb makes it properly tough. I've screwed up pacing on Bedham Hill as well.

But, with gears, all good (though Barhatch is still no walk in the park!).
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I'd really like to give the CC 200 a go. I haven't ridden that far before but I'll see if I can get a few friends along.
  • marcusjb
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I'd really like to give the CC 200 a go. I haven't ridden that far before but I'll see if I can get a few friends along.

As with all Audax events, the distance is the challenge, not the time.

You have from 8am until nearly 10pm to do the 200km. Take it steady and as long as you're comfy on the bike, you've got a good chance of getting around.

The route is challenging, but not insane. The start and end are gentle for sure (the end is mainly downhill from around 35km out!) and the climbing is well spaced out and fair. There are 3 tough climbs on the route, but again, take them steady and you'll be fine.

If you're still not up for the 200km, then the 110km takes in some great bits of the Surrey Hills and the cheese on toast at the cafe at the turn is just the best!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    See you on 6th
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Enjoyed that. Long day in the saddle, but a great route & lots of shade in the lanes so it never felt too hot. Made it over Barhatch & Coombe without any drama (more than one cold drink taken in Peaslake though). Well done all.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?