Audaxing 2016

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    menthel wrote:
    We could cycle to a brewery...

http://www.surreyhills.co.uk/4606.html

Shere drop is lovely!

I guess the issue would be the wobbling back from the brewery..
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I will start a new thread so that we can organise a wobble post beer. I find a shandy very refreshing on a bike ride! (I know I should drink actual beer but my brain doesn't allow it.)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    menthel wrote:
    I will start a new thread so that we can organise a wobble post beer. I find a shandy very refreshing on a bike ride! (I know I should drink actual beer but my brain doesn't allow it.)

Is that post crash? That's scary if so. Shandy is a great recovery drink.
  • menthel
    hopkinb wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Is that post crash? That's scary if so. Shandy is a great recovery drink.

Yep, its a lottery when I have a pint (yes 1) as to whether it will make me utterly miserable with unsteadiness and feeling awful half way through or whether it will be ok. Its not much fun as I quite like a beer now and then.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    menthel wrote:

Cider in the beer garden is best in the summer
    Bitter by a roaring fire in the winter

Or if in Italy, a Cafe Coretti - espresso with a shot of sambuca!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    menthel wrote:

Shere drop is lovely!

I was politely ignoring this thread until this was linked to.
    But a trek from pompey to londonium to ride and then hit a pub might be a bit overkill - although I've done it for the L2B and then hit the darkstar brewery on the way home...
    No, I can't do this. It's not viable.
    No.
    Whos' that twisting my arm?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Shere drop is lovely!

I was politely ignoring this thread until this was linked to.
    But a trek from pompey to londonium to ride and then hit a pub might be a bit overkill - although I've done it for the L2B and then hit the darkstar brewery on the way home...
    No, I can't do this. It's not viable.
    No.
    Whos' that twisting my arm?

We could do a brewery bike crawl. Start at by the horns or the one near Veronese and then go to some of the others in the hills. There are at least 2 or 3 more!
    RIP commute...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'll be doing my clubs "great escape" and Italian Job Audaxs

I am just plotting my own route back to London from SuA for first day of spring if anyone wants to join me. its only a 100 miles.

MRS - i am now in the cotswolds too. Infact a 30 mile ride yesterday took me into Worcestershire and Glousctershire and earlier in the week i was in oxfordshire. I'd be happy to do some Audaxing around the cotswolds
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    That's me signed up for the Cogidubnus. Should be good.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The 200km ride from Surbiton on September the 11th is now in the Audax UK calendar:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-368/

Just as per my rides, do not worry overly about early entry - decide whether your legs are up to it once the summer comes!

I rode around my 200 yesterday and had a tough day out in the wind. I've not gone out of my way to make it a hard ride and the climbing is not off the scale, but it does have some really tough climbs, especially on fixed. The climbs at Bedham, Duncton Hill and Barhatch are all pretty challenging (Barhatch is beyond me on fixed!). But by the time summer fitness comes, should be much easier, right?!?!?
  • marcusjb wrote:
    The 200km ride from Surbiton on September the 11th is now in the Audax UK calendar:

Just as per my rides, do not worry overly about early entry - decide whether your legs are up to it once the summer comes!

I rode around my 200 yesterday and had a tough day out in the wind. I've not gone out of my way to make it a hard ride and the climbing is not off the scale, but it does have some really tough climbs, especially on fixed. The climbs at Bedham, Duncton Hill and Barhatch are all pretty challenging (Barhatch is beyond me on fixed!). But by the time summer fitness comes, should be much easier, right?!?!?

Thats what I am hoping for judging by my current form! :shock:
  • menthel
    marcusjb wrote:

Entered that too. Given I was moaning about no local events, I really have too! I figure there is time to get fit and work out whether my legs will take it...
    RIP commute...
  • marcusjb
    Should be a great event, and the route looks good (the organiser and I have had various discussions as our events are so close in the calendar and head roughly in the same direction - happily we use different roads almost everywhere once we are past cobham and those short bits of roads we have in common are done in opposite directions).

It has more climbing than my event (and qualifies for AAA (Audax Altitude Award)). The bits in the South Downs are in lovely countryside.

Should be brilliant! I will almost certainly be there. 3 events starting in SW London is brilliant. If my event goes well, I am tempted to put on something in early spring next year as well as high summer.
  • vimfuego
    I've entered the Surbiton one too. Nice to have a target later in the year.

Barhatch is a swine at the best of times.... just dig in & think of the tea and cheesy straws at Peaslake!
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • marcusjb
    vimfuego wrote:
    I've entered the Surbiton one too. Nice to have a target later in the year.

Barhatch is a swine at the best of times.... just dig in & think of the tea and cheesy straws at Peaslake!

Exactly!

Barhatch is a flipping hard climb, no two ways about it. The top sections are just insanely steep after what is quite a long climb.

I will put a alternative route to avoid barhatch on the route sheet (known as a Larrington Manouvre after a Mr. Larrington who rides a recumbent, so prefers to dodge hills even if it means more distance). The alternative route adds a couple of km and doesn't quite climb much less, but is far less vicious than Barhatch.

I am possibly going to take the village hall at peaslake for a refreshment stop if the numbers stack up, but sitting in the little shelter eating cheese straws and drinking a mug of tea, surrounded by muddy mountain bikers is the best Surrey hills experience!
  • menthel
    You can't beat getting to Peaslake and hitting the shop for refreshments. It is a rare junction between the worlds of road and mountain biking! I personally like to get there from Shere and head up Radnor Road and past the observatory! Wonderful.
    RIP commute...
  • vimfuego
    That's a nice route indeed. Or the climb up from Ewhurst then across to Peaslake via Walking Bottom.

That and plugging around Holmbury Hill before smashing down Barry Knows Best for a cuppa (giving away my MTB tendencies...)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • marcusjb
    I rode the Cogidubnus route on Saturday for the first time since January. Such a better experience with persistent rain, relentless wind and flooded roads!

All shaping up nicely and entries have steadily been coming in since January (plenty of space still).

Be great to see as many there as possible.

Don't forget the Ditchling Devil (I rode that route yesterday) on 5th June. About a month to get your legs in shape! Always a great event with loads of riders and more cake than you can shake a stick at. I won't be riding as I should hopefully be finishing a 2600km audax that day - but I may make an appearance at the pub for the latter finishers.
  • menthel
    marcusjb wrote:
    I rode the Cogidubnus route on Saturday for the first time since January. Such a better experience with persistent rain, relentless wind and flooded roads!

All shaping up nicely and entries have steadily been coming in since January (plenty of space still).

Be great to see as many there as possible.

Don't forget the Ditchling Devil (I rode that route yesterday) on 5th June. About a month to get your legs in shape! Always a great event with loads of riders and more cake than you can shake a stick at. I won't be riding as I should hopefully be finishing a 2600km audax that day - but I may make an appearance at the pub for the latter finishers.

Don't remind me! 1 month until the Devil and I barely have any miles on my legs! Time to hit the bike hard once I finish work on the 17th...
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    I got an email reminding me about the Devil and panicked thinking I'd entered. There's no way I'm doing it in the state I'm in and that's not going to improve much between now and then. I wish I could afford to retire as well ;-)
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I got an email reminding me about the Devil and panicked thinking I'd entered. There's no way I'm doing it in the state I'm in and that's not going to improve much between now and then. I wish I could afford to retire as well ;-)

If only I was retiring! Got offered a new job on Friday just gone which has cut down my time off. ;)

Do Marcus' Cheesy Peas- its only 100k and not until August.
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    menthel wrote:
    Should I congratulate you on the job or sympathise. Pease accept whichever sentiment you would rather.
    Marcus' ride would be much better, but it's a long way from Tuscany. 8)
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Should I congratulate you on the job or sympathise. Pease accept whichever sentiment you would rather.
    Marcus' ride would be much better, but it's a long way from Tuscany. 8)

Well that is just cheating! Think of me as I slog up a English hill in unseasonable cold rain. ;)

And as for the job, I will tell you by the end of the year whether its a good or bad thing!
    RIP commute...
  • marcusjb
    Oi!

Don't you be tempting fate with this talk of unseasonable cold rain.

Going to be beautiful sunshine for the rides in August. Should be at least a two ice cream day I reckon!

I've ridden the routes in some very crappy weather over winter - Saturday was the first time I have ridden the 200 in pretty decent weather. Saw some new views for the first time. Fantastic stuff!
  • menthel
    marcusjb wrote:
    Oi!

Don't you be tempting fate with this talk of unseasonable cold rain.

Going to be beautiful sunshine for the rides in August. Should be at least a two ice cream day I reckon!

I've ridden the routes in some very crappy weather over winter - Saturday was the first time I have ridden the 200 in pretty decent weather. Saw some new views for the first time. Fantastic stuff!

Don't worry, I am using reverse psychology on the weather. It always works! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    does this count as audaxing?

Friday Night Rides to the Coast or FNRttC for short

It's run by a couple of old blokes that I met on the ferry to Dunkirk (one in his 60's with an ancient GPS and a bar mounted OS map and the other one was 72) and they have lots of rules about who can and can't ride and what preparation you are required to do which is fair enough.

Seems to fit the bill but they look like good rides
    FCN = 4
  • marcusjb
    Similar but different.

Slightly funny lot with lots of rules (but the same can be said of Audax), but they have a good following and people seem to love it.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Weather looks good for tomorrow :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Weather was glorious!

I rode to Devil's Dyke, a bit further past for some pasta, then had to train home to meet a poorly girlfriend.

Rode with some KW guys for a lot of it. The bald chap has the most hilarious tan lines!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    ^
    I'm imagining those left by a sweat band and well-vented helmet.