Shelby GT500 1:8

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited February 2016 in The hub
Just wondering is anyone else building the Deagostini Mustang?

Already started modifying it to keep it more original to the original.

I'm very impressed with the quality of it and it is going to be big.

Just hope they don't stop it, started 2 previous builds with them, RC Spitfire and an RC bike and they both stopped.

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    It'll stop, just like the others
  • It'll stop, just like the others

Hope it doesn't as I think this is the closest I will get to owning a mustang.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aren't those a giant rip - end up buying overpriced bits for a few years?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Near enough £900 by the time you have bought the 100 episodes at £8.99 each (less the £7 opening offer for the first one), so £892 for the pedants. Takes near as dammit 2 years.....

DeAgg have a decent enough reputation for keeping going....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DeAgg, canceled two that I started before.

I know it is an expensive way to go, but quality and detail seems very good so far. Plus it is my dream car.

I've spent £100 plus just on an "airfix" kit before. And they always break somehow. So having a mostly metal one seems good.

Will have to wait and see.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Itll keep going they are plenty big enough to keep going. I keep debating getting a Pocher kit £650 for a 1:8 Lambo Aventador, OK not a classic but a gorgeous kit.
  • I'm going to keep going, but the last two I wanted to do they canceled due to lack of sales. Both very nice. I was even impressed by a 1:8 scale Fiat 500 Abarth that wasn't released here.

Yes it will be expensive, but it seems offset by the quality/materials and size.

In a sense I wish "airfix" kits were similar so you could gain a high quality detail regardless of your skills.
  • step83
    Youd be surprised how easy it can be to add detail to an airfix model, especially with cars lots of companies do addon parts to detail things like the interior, engine bay adding realistic brakes. I have a half built harrier, didnt like the stock controls or seats so picked up a super detailed resin version an fitted that instead.

May not be your cup of tea the actual car but this is the stock kit detail for a Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren MP4/6

photo36.jpg
  • The McLaren is my cup of tea, I have had some good bike kits from Tamiya.

Maybe it is a lack of skill on my end, the last half decent build I did was a Huey but then I was unhappy when I painted the windows as could see brush marks.

Want to do a large scale F-14 in super high detail with weathering etc, but think my skills might lack plus think I will need an air brush kit. I can get my build to look good in "new" condition but when I start making it look weathered or used it all goes pete tong.

Surprised you haven't sanded the mold mark on the tires, but still looks great.

Think what I am impressed about most, is that things just fit. The Revell Space Shuttle is a pig to get right and I am now on my third kit. One I binned out of frustration, the second the cat thought it was a fun thing to chew on and the third I havent attempted yet. The shuttle just won't fit, too much filling and sanding.
  • step83
    Not my kit that cant take any credit for it I tend to do AFV's doing a couple of gifts which will be a challenge two bikes and a mini.

Airbrushes are great the solve a lot of problems but take a bit to master. You can use a thinner to help brush the paint, does help last kit I did I brushed after finding my compressor needed a service. In terms of weathering aircraft your best bet is a pinwash dead easy to apply you gloss coat so it means if you mess up you can wipe it off. grab a couple of small cheap kits. New mould airfixes are cheap an nicely moulded ;)

Mud, sand an rust on the other hand is quite easy

IMG_2462_zpsooksarv5.jpg
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Step83 is right; practice your skills on cheap kits. Always try new stuff on something cheap, master it, then use on a real model

I've no interest in car or DeAgg models but....

I do a little bit of commissioned modelling work, usually scratch built from plastic sheet, rods and brass or whatever other material will work.

Here's some pics of an A10 Cruiser (based on one of the last surviving tanks at Bovington) that I'm working on. It's 1/48 scale, about 4 to 5 inches long. Pretty much everything scratchbuilt (except the wheels - nicked from a kit, and a few of the minor detail parts) including tracks. Probably around 60 hours work so far but plenty still to do. I'll have to add a couple of hundred tiny rivets before it's complete!

What's my point? Nothing more than it takes practice to get better (just like skills on a bike). I'm no 'master modeller', a competent amateur, no more. My first attempts at scratch building were awful. But you learn what works with each attempt.

And do get an airbrush if you want to turn out real quality results. Not one of the cheap Revell jobs with a glass bottle either. Look at Badger for budget (£50) or Harder & Steenbeck / Iwata for more spendy. You'll need to budget for a small compressor too

P1020621_zpsuljh4brk.jpg

P1020640_zpsun38scd2.jpg

P1020639_zpspxklf0sv.jpg

P1020622_zpsk7gbjxhq.jpg

P1020625_zpsdbffguqa.jpg

P1020606_zpsayxbdmy5.jpg
  • Impressive builds.

My downfall is I see the model I want buy all the gear and just assemble, then disappointing afterwards.

As you have said, I should practice on something first before commuting it to the "build".

I'm going to carry on with this build but am going to be modifying parts to make them more realistic.

My dream build is a diorama of the space shuttle on the launch tower, but think most of that would need to be scratch built, or a F-14 on the deck ready to launch again scratch built.

For now the shuttle is in the box, I used spray tins for the main body before then hand painted details and hated the look of the brush marks.

Will look in to a airbrush kit as I would like to finally make a "realistic" model.

Seems like we have quite a few modellers here, could we have a thread?
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    To be honest, when it comes to model making, a lot of the time you get out what you put in. I've resurrected ancient tooling kits and turned them into shelf-worthy pieces with a handful of raw materials, a lot of patience and liberal use of Google images.
    If you're not currently using an airbrush; "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up". My current gravity feed and compressor set me back £70 all in from my LHS and you won't believe the difference.

It saddens me that I no longer have the facilities or time to build, but hopefully the move out of shared accommodation at the end of the course will see me set up a new work bench.
    My dream build is a diorama of the space shuttle on the launch tower

If you start now you may be finished by the end of the universe.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be a discussion about fast cars.
  • Can't talk about a fast car that I will never own and never get a chance to ride in one. Love the 67' GT500 and the BOSS mustangs from the same period.

Don't like them from the 70's onward until the new 2016 Shelby WOW one of, if not the best sounding cars, sound's even better than Superbikes.
  • step83
    RC, no fast cars her but I do have a bike on the workbench slowly started a Team Fiat Yamaha 2009 YZR-M1 that may tickle your fancy just waiting on some detail parts an a carbon decal sheet. Paints on back order from Zero as well

Also doing a R53 Cooper S which im going to have to modify for a friends birthday present. Not very fast but hey faster than the AFV's ive been doing

Al thats some dam impressive scratching there! wish I was nearly as good :(
  • Step83, the YZR-M1 tickles my fancy, any chance of some pics and what detail parts are you using? Also who's is it going to be, Rossi or Lorenzo?

I agree it is impressive scratch building all the dioramas I have seen are mainly scratch built, naturally gifted springs to mind.
  • step83
    Ill grab some photos when I get home, its about half done bits need re doing im waiting on a delivery from Hiroboy with some proper silver paint.
    Extras wise not much is going on. Ive got a PE chain to build which will be "fun" but really helps the model along with the carbon decals, Annoyingly the detail kit I wanted is no longer made as the kits classed as an old one. There is one but at £130 I declined! Couldnt get a Resin/etch clutch either but to be fair theres enough detail on it to make it passable.

Did a rather lazy fix on the spring for the rear shock last night as well even primed, it was being a turd to paint. So I put a cocktail stick through two compressed parts an dunked it, after letting the excess run off its now perfect!

Rider wise im not sure was an epic year especially Catalunya. Lorenzzo actually means more work as he has a shunt pad on the rear of the seat where Rossi's doesnt. Either will look cracking if I can nail the decals right. That an the paint, Pearl white and a deep electric blue.
  • Looking forward to seeing it and I'm half tempted to it.

Are you going to be leaving it "new" condition or making it look used?

Seen a super detail kit for it last night but couldn't find a price, wonder if it is the £130 one, it is http://www.topstudiohobby.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=2&product_id=61
  • step83
    Thats the one, replaces almost every component, there is another thats about £45 but im just going to stic with the chain. It doesnt look too bad. Wear wise ill leave it shiney the exhaust will get some colouring from use so kind of Race morning look Seats a little saggy as its not bolted.

IMG_2463_zpsqcg0wu55.jpg

IMG_2465_zpsudfcyjxl.jpg
  • Looking good,

think I need to order one. At that price I think I would leave it too, looks amazing but I will be having fairings on. Have you seen the foam seat covers from Hiroboy?

Other than sanding the tires and making the exhaust look race conditioned how else could you make the bike look like it has finished a race?
  • step83
    Ive not seen those no, that site is dangerous though spend a load on AK metal an Zero paints amongst other bits. Post race would be worn brake rotors, brake dust, insect splatters bits of rubber an depending on the track maybe some dust? Post race tyres would be a challenge.

Bridgestone-asymmetric-rear-slick-tire-valencia-2014-S.jpg
  • Yeah the foam seat was cheap was having a browse.

Post race tyre defiantly a challenge, every bike model I see is always "shiney" or with a rider. Would love to see one in post race condition. I like my models to look used.

Like this shuttle not mine but level of detail is amazing. http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/8/t/82299.aspx?sortorder=desc
  • step83
    That is really nicely done that. I need to stop buying an get building :s heres my kit pile before I added another big kit, the Ducati got killed by a small child/nephew.

20160110_202532_zpsamiidf9l.jpg

Added this kit to it as well, stupidly over detailed gun on it.

cb35062.jpg
  • Done the Ducati before builds up nice, got damaged in a move before so ended up in the bin.

I only have the Revell 1/144 Shuttle with boosters and this Mustang. But I am tempted by the Yamaha and was looking at the Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki RGV-G 00.

Would like to do some bikes as haven't done one since I got some Minichamps.
  • step83
    That is a nice kit odd exhaust setup though two tail two side exit :s The PE chain turned up today think ill go blind soon doing it!
  • This one http://www.hiroboy.com/112_Chain_Set_for_Yamaha_YZR_M1_Silver--product--2501.html

500cc that's how they all used to be, going to have a look in my local model shop at the weekend. Need something else to be on with whilst doing this Mustang. Not attempting the Shuttle with boosters again yet. But I am tempted by the 1/100 Tamiya Shuttle depending on fit.

Came across this site last night and wondering if you have used it know of any other similar sites, looks interesting but you have to pay to get the PDFs, its like a how to detail models, good collection too

http://www.modelersite.com/en/269/detailing-a-suzuki-rgvg--00-tamiya-1-12-scale-parts-i--ii
  • step83
    That chains pre made, this ones literally a kit, two inner parts are for the inside then you have 122 links to make up!

hydhd02-0318_0_1439866017.jpg?v=1439866017

Ive seen that site was tempted but maybe when im better at it than I am now!
  • I don't envy you then haha. Think if I can get the kit at the local shop I will and order the premade chain.

I'm not the best modeler and try to pick up on ideas by researching, had a look at the builds and they seem very good.

Think I'm going to purchase a kit and the PDF from the site, can only be a good thing I think.

I'm interested in the airbrush kits atm so looking in to them, always use brush or spray cans. Had mixed results with spray cans.

Will see what I can find this weekend and try to see if I can make it super detailed. This Mustang will take too long but the detail is there and with slight tweaks it can be more realistic.
  • step83
    Yeah im regretting not just getting the pre built one but itll be a challange, just waiting on my hold an fold tool for the etch parts ive had come for an armour kit so I can get cracking on that.

May be worth the PDF, I wouldnt until you get the kit as the kit I got came with a lovely double sided colour set of images showing detail areas on the bike.

Airbrush wise they are great once you get used to them ive a couple of kits ive done and it gives you much better control over things, got some AK extreme metal to play with its polished aluminum with a very fine pigment going to try brushing it on them fire it into the airbrush see if i can lightly polish it.should make the exhaust look good.