Wheels with a sexy click sound

blahblahblah
blahblahblah Posts: 11
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new set of wheels and have a budget of £250 max. Ideally I would like the rear hub to make the lovely clicking noise that my current FSA RD420's make. Can anyone make any recommendations please?
11 speed btw.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Campag or Shimano?

Fulcrum Racing Zeros are the noisiest i have had.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Shimano have some of the quietest hubs
  • Apparently Hope hubs will make the "sexy click" at high volume.... Budget might be an issue though....
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dunno but all my campag hubs have a lovely clicking including the fulcrums, shimaNO totally silent
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I have Shimano Ultegra groupset and had been looking at the Ultegra 6800 wheelset but have heard they were rather quiet. I ideally wanted a ready built wheelset rather than buying separate hubs.
    They don't have to be excessively loud but just have the reassuring 'sexy click' that I've grown used to. I have heard campags and love the sound but would these be compatible?
    I am new to cycling and really appreciate all the advice so far - thank you.
  • Campag would be compatible as long as you fit a campag cassette.

Geoff
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Campag would be compatible as long as you fit a campag cassette.

Geoff

Campag wheels and hubs are also widely available for Shimano cassettes
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Campag can come with shim/sram freehubs. Fulcrum are campag and the hubs are the same. However, some can be quiet until the grease wears around a bit.

I have a set of Halo Mercury wheels and they have similar sounding hub. Hope are the ones though.
  • Have found these and wondered if they would suit?
    http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/fulcrum-racing-quattro-special-edition-road-bike-wheelset-front--rear-2983-p.asp

I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the description though hence asking for advice....
  • It's a pointless request, but so be it.

Most freehub can be made louder, by using light oil instead of grease as pawls lubricant.

Freehubs with larger pawls individually sprung are inherently noisier than those having a retainer ring acting as a spring

Noisy
    hope_xd_driver_pawls.jpg

Quiet
    cassette-body-sram-11-xx1.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    My DT Swiss R23 splines are noisier than my Campags, the R24s use the same hubs and are about £200
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Ideally I would like the rear hub to make the lovely clicking noise
    CUT

Do you have problems at home?
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    This reminds me of the days of the XR2 and Nova GTE etc. with a loud back box fitted.
    In my opinion it's not pointless but thanks for your 'pointless' reply.
    The request wasn't pointless because cycling in London along many shared use paths, noisier hubs tend to alert pedestrians and make them more aware of my presence. This can only be a good thing IMO.

Your reply however WAS pointless as I wasn't asking about the whys and wherefores of hubs being noisy or quiet - I can find this out from Google. I wanted to determine which readybuilt wheels came with nosier hubs - this often isn't referred to in the item description hence my request.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Do dolphins arouse you?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Campag would be compatible as long as you fit a campag cassette.

Geoff

Or an Ambrosio/Miche Campy splined Shimano spaced cassette that are £30 - I'm popping a Shimano splined Campag spaced one on Dirk.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I actually don't think this is a pointless request. A loud freewheel is a useful tool to let people know you are there. I often freewheel for a short period to make enough racket so the dozy git that is about to wander across the road without looking realizes I'm there. A silent freewheel means I would have to resort to yelling which I find tends to alienate said dozy gits. As I tend to pedal for 99.9% of my rides it does not distract from the peace and quiet of the countryside.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Cero AR30's. They are currently £380 but were £260 before Christmas and will go down again I would imagine at some point. Probably the best wheel you can buy for £380 nevermind £260.

Oh and they make a lovely clicky sound.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I actually don't think this is a pointless request. A loud freewheel is a useful tool to let people know you are there. I often freewheel for a short period to make enough racket so the dozy git that is about to wander across the road without looking realizes I'm there. A silent freewheel means I would have to resort to yelling which I find tends to alienate said dozy gits. As I tend to pedal for 99.9% of my rides it does not distract from my pace and speed in the countryside.[/quote]

FTFY :wink:
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    It's a pointless request, but so be it.
    The request wasn't pointless because cycling in London along many shared use paths, noisier hubs tend to alert pedestrians and make them more aware of my presence. This can only be a good thing IMO.

Your reply however WAS pointless as I wasn't asking about the whys and wherefores of hubs being noisy or quiet - I can find this out from Google. I wanted to determine which readybuilt wheels came with nosier hubs - this often isn't referred to in the item description hence my request.

I don't think ugo's reply was pointless as he explained how the difference in freehub design affects the sound it will make.

• To shine some light over what seems a "magic feature" of some wheels rather than others

If you are not interested in the mechanics, I won't bother giving you any more advice.

As for your argument... it is pointless regardless, you will find that half the people on the pavement have headphones, are too busy with their smartphone, the environment is too noisy to hear your freewheel coming etc. I do have a noisy 6 individually sprund pawls freewheel, not that anyone notices it, to be honest
  • From my experience more people are aware of me when I am on the bike with the loud freewheel than the silent one. In my opinion this is a good thing and why I want my next wheelset to also make some noise.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Ugo is the quintessential expert on wheels, constructing them, and their inner workings. To turn away his contribution to any forum on them is ill-advised to say the least.
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Ugo is right. The way to get a noisy freehub is to clean the pawls and ratchet teeth of any trace of grease and dirt and then to lubricate with oil. The way to get a quiet freehub is to clean the pawls and ratchet teeth and then to put a light dab of grease on the pawls and a smear on the ratchet teeth.

For example, this applies with the Record freehubs on two of my bikes (the same freehub as fitted to Fulcrum Racing Zero mentioned above). They are both virtually silent because I use grease. The same applies to my Shimano freehubs. Some manufacturers such as White Industries, which I have on another bike, recommend lubricating with oil, not grease, so you accordingly have more noise when freewheeling.

Hope are well known for being about the noisiest freehubs around. A quick search of the internet shows people do quieten them down by lubricating with grease because the noise drives them nuts. However, it appears this may have to be done regularly to keep the noise down.

Some people like a lot of noise. Remember Spokey Dokes? Or attaching a playing card to stay or fork so it catches on the spokes?
  • Ugo is the quintessential expert on wheels, constructing them, and their inner workings. To turn away his contribution to any forum on them is ill-advised to say the least.
    I appreciate all contributions to my thread and incidentally am a regular reader of Ugo's blog. It was he who replied initially to my thread that it was 'pointless'. It is not pointless to me which was why I asked the question.
    He may be an expert on wheel building etc and I respect him for this - I don't feel it necessary for him to answer
    my first post on the forum in such a dismissive way by telling me it's pointless. It may be to him but it isn't to me.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    It's a pointless request, but so be it.

Welcome to the forum mate, you'll fit in well
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    From my experience more people are aware of me when I am on the bike with the loud freewheel than the silent one. In my opinion this is a good thing and why I want my next wheelset to also make some noise.

Just buy a bell...
  • Clearly dealing with a few sycophants here..