Tacx Neo or wahoo kickr

2»

Comments

• jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I had problems connecting my neo when i first got it. Downloaded the tacx utility app and cycling app on my iPad, used the utility app to update firmware but couldn't get it to connect to the cycling app via bt. Once i realised i had to close the utility app in the background ( took me a while to work out) then it found the cycling app straight away. I've been using mine with bkool simulator and all seems to work fine. Happy so far although there was a knocking noise last time i used it so will have to keep an eye on that, you could feel it to on the pedal stroke, anyone else had that?
  • Good point. A lot of the "I can't connect" issues with Tacx devices come from being connected from two places at once. You can't be connected via BT then try to establish an ANT+FEC connection, for example.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Missed that Royles sale on the neo so went for a kickr instead.

I think Veloreality is the app I'm looking for. Real video of famous routes that set the resistance to match and you can ride against your past performances and other riders on the course. Sounds good if it works.
  • Not tried veloreality but CycleOps Virtual Training is pretty good. It's got real video of passes as well as workouts including Sufferfest (you need the videos though). Works well with a KICKR and an iPad
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Yeah that looks good too.I'll give the trial a go, cheers.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    For anyone interested, Amazon UK have just reduced the Tacx Neo to £833. It's a little cheaper at around £800 at the Dutch online retailer Hollandbikeshop.com (strangely not referenced by the price comparison sites that I tried) but went out of stock within hours of becoming available again last week. I don't suppose these sites lose money when they sell it at these prices so all the other retailers who charge £1000 upwards must have a comfortable margin. I am guessing that Tacx can sell these trainers as fast as the factory can ship them, so most retailers are happy to keep the price high.

The Wahoo Kickr is around £950 in the UK so I reckon the Neo will be a healthy competitor if its general price falls to around the £800 level. I see cmcdonnell got his Kickr for a bargain £700, so you have to weigh the features of the two machines against the current offers. As spring approaches, bargains are more likely to be had for any turbo trainer.
  • That's quite a hefty reduction in price considering it hasn't been out for that long!
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    It's back in stock, as I write, at hollandbikeshop.com for around £802. But from past experience, it will be out of stock within a couple of hours :( .
  • Kivi
    Kivi Posts: 1
    We bought both a kickr and a Neo in November. My wife is set up on the neo while I am on the kickr. You really can't go wrong with either one. They both work great. We both ride Zwift. If I had to choose only one to buy I would pick the Neo because it is definately quieter. It handles the downhills in a more realistic fashion, and I do like that it allows for a little bit of side to side rocking of the bike as you ride, whereas the kickr holds the bike completely rigidly. However the kickr is still great, and makes for an enjoyable way to ride on Zwift, which incidentally is fantastic for indoor training. It makes indoor biking actually fun and engaging.
  • It's a feature that I will probably not use but it might be the clincher for somebody.

What I do like is running the Tacx videos from my iPad - though, as I already had 3 or 4 on DVD, I object to having to buy the same ones again.

Too late for that batch but next time search for and download MakeMKV. This is a free video grabber. It will rip the media files off your DVD and save them as an MKV file. Because it doesn't recode, its very quick. But, the MKV is a large file and not widely played. So the next step is to search for and download Handbrake. This a free video coder. With this you can compress your MKV file to a much smaller different version which will play on your Ipad.

I did this for my childrens films to put them on a tablet for travelling. We use Android, but Handbrake comes with built in presets to convert to films that will play on Ipads.