Tacx Neo or wahoo kickr

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
So which one should I get?
Looking for a smart trainer preferably wheel off.
Power meter on my Ali bike is a power rap hub so trainer needs to be repeatable and accurate on the power.

Anything else out there??

Comments

• So which one should I get?
    Power meter on my Ali bike is a power rap hub so trainer needs to be repeatable and accurate on the power.

If you can run to the extra cost then the Neo is better if only because of the noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2iGV6VYBKY

Both are pretty accurate when it comes to power measurement. Both are almost identical as to which applications they support.
  • My Tacx Vortex Smart is working well. Despite the alleged quietness and the undeniable cool factor, I don't think I could justify the extra cost of the Neo.
  • My Tacx Vortex Smart is working well. Despite the alleged quietness and the undeniable cool factor, I don't think I could justify the extra cost of the Neo.

So is my Bushido. But even then a Neo would be awesome.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Where the Neo excels over other Tacx devices is in power range - and its ability to generate low rpm torque. If you want to simulate sleep, slow, climbs, the Neo is far better than the other Tacx products. Vs the KickR I think you pay your money and make your choice. The Neo is quieter, packs smaller and doesn't need a power supply to function. There's also a bit of "give" when riding standing so it feels nicer. They're the key differences. I have a Neo and I'm very happy with it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Can Neo be found for less than £1k ?
  • meanredspider
    I used the BC discount on CRC and had Wiggle price match - I think it was finally around £976
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    So which one should I get?

If you can run to the extra cost then the Neo is better if only because of the noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2iGV6VYBKY

Both are pretty accurate when it comes to power measurement. Both are almost identical as to which applications they support.

Noise isn't an issue with the Kickr if you use the small chainring and a corresponding cog on the cassette to get a straight chainline, ERG mode works fine like that in TR.

Also bare in mind that Tacx online support is the the worst ever.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Where the Neo excels over other Tacx devices is in power range - and its ability to generate low rpm torque. If you want to simulate sleep, slow, climbs, the Neo is far better than the other Tacx products. Vs the KickR I think you pay your money and make your choice. The Neo is quieter, packs smaller and doesn't need a power supply to function. There's also a bit of "give" when riding standing so it feels nicer. They're the key differences. I have a Neo and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/trainer-everything-wanted.html

seems to require a power cord?

Just read the review in full apparently power cord only needed for some of the features.
  • Where the Neo excels over other Tacx devices is in power range - and its ability to generate low rpm torque. If you want to simulate sleep, slow, climbs, the Neo is far better than the other Tacx products. Vs the KickR I think you pay your money and make your choice. The Neo is quieter, packs smaller and doesn't need a power supply to function. There's also a bit of "give" when riding standing so it feels nicer. They're the key differences. I have a Neo and I'm very happy with it.

Just read the review in full apparently power cord only needed for some of the features.

The power cord gives the Neo the ability to simulate downhill, ie it spins. It also means the ant/bluetooth doesn't shut down and disconnect if you stop pedling.
  • meanredspider
    It's a feature that I will probably not use but it might be the clincher for somebody.

What I do like is running the Tacx videos from my iPad - though, as I already had 3 or 4 on DVD, I object to having to buy the same ones again.
  • Where the Neo excels over other Tacx devices is in power range - and its ability to generate low rpm torque. If you want to simulate sleep, slow, climbs, the Neo is far better than the other Tacx products. Vs the KickR I think you pay your money and make your choice. The Neo is quieter, packs smaller and doesn't need a power supply to function. There's also a bit of "give" when riding standing so it feels nicer. They're the key differences. I have a Neo and I'm very happy with it.

Both the Kickr and the Neo require a power cord in practice. As do nearly all smart trainers with the exception of the Tacx Bushido.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I think right now I'd go for the Wahoo Kickr. Issues have all been ironed out. Early days yet for the Neo
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Wahoo kickr here,i love mine and was in the same position as you as to which one to get.
    Noise on wahoo really is not loud at all.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I rode both and bought a Neo.

The kickr is great, it works, has great app support and is very solid. But the Neo has more accurate power measurement (at least in my comparison to my vectors),is far quieter and I prefer the inertia feeling that the lack of a flywheel gives when the effort ramps up (this is subjective). So I would go Neo as long as the price differential wasn't significant.
  • I purchased a Kickr in November 2014.

I purchased a Neo in December 2015.

Both from Wiggle.

The Kickr is an excellent bit of kit, but it over reads on the power compared to actual power meter on the bike.

I was toying with the idea of adding a power meter to my indoor bike, and getting TrainerRoad to read that instead of the Kickr. But I don't think that is supported by Zwift. I only use TR and Zwift.

So for me, it is more cost effective to buy a Neo and sell the Kickr later.

The power meter is far more accurate on the Neo. It is also quieter, which is important when watching films/TV while training.

The Zwift experience is better, especially with the downhill simulation.

I was keen to avoid the first batch of Neos. Too many problems reported.

Mine has been fine, but I'm still hesitant to sell the Kickr until at least next month.
  • stueys
    [quote
    Noise isn't an issue with the Kickr if you use the small chainring and a corresponding cog on the cassette to get a straight chainline, ERG mode works fine like that in TR.

Also bare in mind that Tacx online support is the the worst ever.[/quote]

Which is fine in erg mode on TR, not so relevant on something like Zwift. I've a Neo, they are great pieces of kit. Very quiet, spot on power tracking to my Vectors and very quick resistance shifting. I've ridden the kickr, it's a great piece of kit, but I think the Neo takes things up a level.
  • phil485
    Cheers Guys,

A guy at work noticed his Kickr power readings wern't brilliant compared to his stages power which is what sowed seeds of doubt. Lots of interesting reading and I'm still not really sold on either.

I swing from one to the other but at the moment I think Neo is winning.

just got permision to buy a wattbike from SWMBO but i don't believe that is controllable from within apps like traner road or zwift but makes the money side less of an issue.
  • stueys
    I've got a mate with a watt bike who loves it. I believe it broadcasts on ant, he certainly uses it for zwift, but I doubt it's got a simulation mode which makes zwift realistic. I also don't think watt bikes have erg mode which really makes TR.

You'll get better resistance range from something like a Neo plus you can ride your bike, in exactly the same position you use when you ride it on the road. Added to the fact that a watt bike is more expensive than a smart trainer....
  • phil485
    aaahhhh decisions. I keep putting a neo in the basket then backing out.

A kickr then goes in and I get doubts too...

So much money to spend and I don't want to get it wrong....
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I had a kickr in my basket ready to go for when I get paid on Friday... now I'm not so sure whether I should get a neo. Thanks a lot OP!

Can anyone tell me whether there's an app that has live video like Sufferfest but it adjusts the resistance automatically so you have to change gear? I like to see mountains and trees when I'm riding indoors but having to watch the video carefully for the prompts is annoying and they come so fast on some videos it's nearly impossible to keep up, not to mention trying to work out which resistance/gear combination best represents 8.25/10 effort.
  • I had a kickr in my basket ready to go for when I get paid on Friday... now I'm not so sure whether I should get a neo. Thanks a lot OP!

Just on the noise alone it's worth the extra.
    Can anyone tell me whether there's an app that has live video like Sufferfest but it adjusts the resistance automatically so you have to change gear? I like to see mountains and trees when I'm riding indoors but having to watch the video carefully for the prompts is annoying and they come so fast on some videos it's nearly impossible to keep up, not to mention trying to work out which resistance/gear combination best represents 8.25/10 effort.

I don't know of ones which have you change gear but I do know there's ones which use ERG mode, which basically automatically adjusts the trainer resistance according to your power output, so all you have to do is keep the same cadence, and it'll request a particular power output from you by increasing and decreasing the resistance, it's a great way to train.
  • phil485
    I will be using Trainerroad and importing my sufferfest videos into that.

As has been said set your Kickr to erg mode and the resistance will change to the values required by the video
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    The Tacx is £899 at Royles at the moment.
  • phil485
    Thank you. just closed my eyes and ordered!
  • Phil485 wrote:
    Thank you. just closed my eyes and ordered!

haha, that's the way to do it :D
  • Can't comment on the Neo but had a KICKR for 3 months and have over 1000 virtual miles on it. Really can't fault it or think of anything I'm missing as it does everything I've asked no problem. Sufferfest videos on TR, Sufferfest app, Zwift, erg mode is fab. Managed to get it from wiggle for a bit over £700 too.
  • Has anyone had problems getting the bluetooth to work on their Neo? Also, given that BT is not working does anyone know how to sync videos from the Tacx App to their Tacx PC account?

I had a Tacx about 3 years ago and dumped due to software and support issues and so far I am regretting buying the Neo as they do not appear to have improved in that time...just looks prettier and is quiter!

Very disgruntled so a KIckr could be the next purchase and farewell to TAcx forever!
  • meanredspider
    I'd send the Neo back. There have been some reports of problems with BT solved by replacing unit. Mine has worked fine (so far)

I don't think that you can use the app videos on PC. You certainly can't use them the other way around which I think is disingenuous of Tacx. I think the only solution is an Ant+ adaptor for iPad in the short term.
  • LOL....thanks for the advice to send back...

Probably right but not what I wanted to hear! I have the ANT+ adapter for the iPad but the iPad tells me it is unsupported and that doesn't work either....going to buy a Galaxy pad today and see how that works. Annoyingly I loaded the Tacx app on my Galaxy S5...picked up the Neo immediately so my issue is Apple not so much Neo....but still Tacx!
  • meanredspider
    Is the S5 picking up on Ant+ or BT? If any device is picking up the BT, then you should be fine with the Neo (and don't send it back). I use the cheapest iPad Mini with the Neo (then use Apple TV to mirror onto a big screen) and it connects fine. Remember that BT can only connect to one device at a time so if your iPad is connecting to something else, it won't connect. But I'd assumed that your iPad isn't even seeing the Neo when you search.