Wheelset upgrade advice

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I take it back they are 21mm wide externally. You where right in which case the zipps dont look as good anymore. Sorry for being so certain and then being wrong.

To get proper wide rims then you will have to look at what the various wheel builders are doing like myself, just riding along, dcr wheels, wheelsmith e.t.c look at rims from kinlin, pacenti, h plus son velocity e.t.c something very tasty can be done for under £400.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    From being in a similar position, I would say buy the wheels if you want to and have the money. It's your cash and getting new stuff is part of the fun of modern cycling ;)

But for what you are saying, I would recommend looking at how you ride/train. Repeatedly doing the same strava segments at a good pace won't really help - it's often referred to as 'junk miles'. Check out the recent A1 Coaching articles in the main section of the site.
  • If you had been making this decision in 2012, you might have looked to wheelset aero testing from a 2011 issue of Tour Magazine. At that time, based on the testing for that issue, the Dura Ace C35 and Zipp 101's would have saved you about 3 or 4 watts over the Ksyrium Elite at 40kph.

Are you looking at a similar outcome today with the wheelsets you are considering? I think probably.

By the way, there are two versions of the Zipp 30 if you look at Zipp wheels website and they have very different widths. The wider Zipp 30 Course seems to have been developed for the cyclocross riders, so I don't know if it is being used for road cyclists (I can't see why not, but maybe there is something).