Cycle Superhighway: New Stretch on Embankment

rower63
rower63 Posts: 1,991
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
I used the temple-Embankment stretch of new bike lane again last night, and this time there were lots of riders coming in the opposite direction (in spite of the signs saying one-way only for now). Actually really scary, for a couple of reasons:

Ironically, although the point of it is to segregate cyclists from motor vehicles, this lane has now de-segregated the cyclists from each another in a lane that's too narrow for the likely cycle traffic in even one direction let alone two. Horrid head-ons are an absolute inevitability.

Linked to this and likely to be a contributing factor in said head-ons is the fact that because the cyclists are now right next to each other in both directions, oncoming bike-lights are very difficult to see as they're in the same line of sight as the motor-vehicles' lights behind them. As such, oncoming riders are more or less invisible at night-time.

As it gets busier I'm most likely going to avoid it like plague.
Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
Ridley Noah FAST 2013
Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    South of the river is calling.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I shall use it once to see what its like when its ready, then continue using the road as normal

I am very glad I don't have to use that stretch often.
  • Cable St part of CS3 is like this and you are right to be scared. I have seen more accidents on that half mile stretch than everywhere else combined. The worse problem is that most cyclists are incapable (or unwilling) to judge converging speeds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Thing is, because it bypasses a lot of lights, it'll be faster even if you're stuck behind a nodder for most of it.
  • I've watched other people using it and I was faster on the road despite the lights.

I don't plan on using it to be honest, my speed closer matches cars than it does other bike users. I can see far too many accidents on that stretch, and doing 25mph+ down there isn't going to be appropriate imho.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's the thing. I was desperately clinging onto Tom's wheel last night as we shot past the nodders but it simply isn't for SCR.

It's for cruising along for people who want to feel safe away from tippers/lorries/taxis.

The issue is that the roads are being rightly, although infuriatingly designed for the casual commuter not the embankment peloton.
  • Yeah, looking forward to being constantly berated by cars for using road instead of the bike lane too.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I used to be sad that I'd moved south east and no longer had the Embankment racetrack to keep me entertained. By the sounds of things, not any more! All I need to do now is find a reason to not miss Richmond Park and I will be complete.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Anonymous
    Rob - the racetrack is tougher now! busy for cars and bikes most days, but get it clear and it makes the tough struggles and victories that bit sweeter when you get them.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Rode it for the first time yesterday. Yes, it's too narrow, and has humps that are far too high, but it still beats trying to negotiate a solid traffic queue and traffic lights on the main road. I'll stick with it for the moment......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • I gave it another try the other day too. Those speed bumps are ludicrous, you could literally take off over them. I wasn't gunning it and so it seemed reasonable enough, was near 5pm though so I presume I was before the rush.

Even so, was close to hitting a pedestrian after they stepped out without looking.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I think a risk to be particularly wary of is pedestrians who look one way (in the direction of vehicle traffic) but don't then look the other way, not immediately registering that it's a two way path. (I speak as a pedestrian who did just that myself this morning, and I for one should know better! Just as well there was no bike traffic in either direction.)
  • Also peds just walking backwards off the pavement into the cycle lane to take photos. Terrifying. I think no SCR is a given - it would be highly irresponsible - but the question is whether it's going to be safe even at Boris bike speeds, given the dangers that previous posters have identified.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • rick_chasey
    The traffic light hidden behind a tree is a classic.
  • rick_chasey
    Also peds just walking backwards off the pavement into the cycle lane to take photos. Terrifying. I think no SCR is a given - it would be highly irresponsible - but the question is whether it's going to be safe even at Boris bike speeds, given the dangers that previous posters have identified.

It's fiine. Really not that bad.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867

Indeed! I sailed through it on Red unaware yesterday, and felt guilty for the whole of the rest of the ride home. Just wasn't expecting to find traffic lights (and non standard ones at that, with silly cycle shaped lights) on a cycle lane that has no junctions......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Rhodrich wrote:

Indeed! I sailed through it on Red unaware yesterday, and felt guilty for the whole of the rest of the ride home. Just wasn't expecting to find traffic lights (and non standard ones at that, with silly cycle shaped lights) on a cycle lane that has no junctions......
    I discovered these last night; there are actually two separate sets, on the stretch between Temple and Parliament Square, that are completely hidden by trees until you're pretty much alongside them. This is going to be a nightmare in the Summer; not so much for regular users who'll get to know where they're hidden, but infrequent users will see the red light at exactly the same time as the pedestrian steps out, 5m in front of them.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The traffic lights are almost invisible - but the peds seem to take no notice of them anyway. Are they gonna paint it blue to let them know that it isnt just another bit of pavement. I had a whole coach disgorge in front of me - good tyres and discs stopped me ploughing into them

And whilst no BR would be as uncouth; I will say here - riding straight at a fellow cyclist who is tucked close to the left curb and screaming C**T" for daring to use the cycle path in the direction which has not been opened yet is a little over the top.
  • Anonymous
    I saw a guy with a camera tripod in the lane!
  • Did see quite few runners though was admitly afternoon ie not commuting times, when I rolled past a few weeks back, agree the lights for cyclists are well hidden and the ramps are a tad steep.

On the plus side does seem faster simply due to less stops.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Anonymous
    Cyclists in commuting hours, joggers during the day (probably at lunch breaks).

Which imbeciles write this nonsense? Any jogger would get taken out pretty quickly with the amount of cyclist traffic on there.

Another VERY near miss last night, 3 abreast heading West with a screaming singleton heading East.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Back on the bike for first time in ages, used the bit that's not open yet - officially! - from by Parliament to the city

Nice and empty for me at 0800 and seemed quicker. Speed humps are mahoosive, though - but if they stop cooters on scooters, then that's OK

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    It's decent heading west. A lot more relaxed.
  • Still not using it because I can;t access it Westbound as the ramp down from Blackfriars is still blocked, and Eastbound it's supposedly not yet open. All of those photos and comments from cabbies...absolute c*nts of the highest order who do nothing but pollute in their smoking diesels looking for fares.
  • rick_chasey
    How can you not access it Westbound?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    How can you not access it Westbound?
    It is a bit of a pain from the Blackfriars Bridge area; now they've configured the roadworks you need to walk the entire length of the "down" ramp and beyond on the pavement. I'm sure there's a better way; any suggestions?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah you mean getting on embankment in the first place. Sorry. Thought you meant getting on the actual path.
  • Ed F
    Ed F Posts: 79
    Slightly OT, but can anyone tell me what the point is of the raised 10m stretch of cycle superhighway which they have just spent weeks constructing on the westbound carriageway of the Embankment racetrack at the junction with Chelsea Bridge?
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Ed F wrote:
    Slightly OT, but can anyone tell me what the point is of the raised 10m stretch of cycle superhighway which they have just spent weeks constructing on the westbound carriageway of the Embankment racetrack at the junction with Chelsea Bridge?

it's the launch pad for the race track :D
    Ridley Fenix SL