Ultegra v sram red

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Slightly odd comparison. Are we doing 2015 vintage Jo Guest? Or 2000 vintage and 2000 vintage SRAM and Ultegra (Brand hasn't really changed at all).

We can do 2000 vintage Jo G and her later post bloating come back (2006 or thereabouts) when she adopted the shorter secretary style hair cut as opposed to the bob. These apply, naturally, to her head.

Agreed that Brand hasn't changed at all though - I will be drawn on that point.

Red is still better than Ultegra though. That is why one is top tier professional standard classics, Tour, Giro , Vuelta, Monument, Olympic and Worlds winning and the other is found at Halfords.

But so long as people are happy with not riding the best they could that's fine. After all, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I'm another Sram fan boi. It's just so mechanical, big sharp clunk when you shift, it looks great and you can see everything to work out how to adjust it if needed. I've just built a TT bike and put Force on it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Matthewfalle
    I'm another Sram fan boi. It's just so mechanical, big sharp clunk when you shift, it looks great and you can see everything to work out how to adjust it if needed. I've just built a TT bike and put Force on it.

Agree 100% in sentiment and actions: chapeau.

Any piccies of the TT bike? Just about to do one in Rival (as it's what I have lying around).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Haven't ridden SRAM Red but very happy with Ultegra. I'm not sure how much better it can be so I personally wouldn't spend £400 extra.
  • Matthewfalle
    Haven't ridden SRAM Red but very happy with Ultegra. I'm not sure how much better it can be so I personally wouldn't spend £400 extra.

It can be snappier, quicker, more comfortable, more feel, nicer shaped, make you feel better.

Its a bit weird to say that you haven't tried something so you won't try it. Thinking that way we'll all still be wearing bear skins and clubbing our food to death with bits of tree.

Go on, be a devil - get a test ride on a Red equipped bike and see what it's like to ride the best.

Hang on, why doesn't the OP do this then make up his own mind?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Surely SRAM vs Shimano is a very personal preference due to the very different gear shifter actuation systems they each employ. SRAM using a discrete lever that takes care of both up and down shifts, wheras Shimano's brake lever moonlights as a second gear-lever for shifts to lower gears. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Shimano brake lever being able to swing to the side.
    I've read that SRAM Force equates to Dura Ace, so comparing Ultegra to Red seems unfair to Shimano in terms of weight/performance and unfair to SRAM in terms of price point. Wouldn't Ultegra vs SRAM Rival or Red/Force vs Dura Ace be a better like-for-like comparisons ?
  • Aye, but there is £ 370 difference so I'm just wondering what folks opinions are on the " higher level " gear for the cost involved .

As stated above the wheels are slightly different which I hadn't noticed , but I'm unsure of how much better they are..

I appreciate all comments though . ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aye, but there is £ 370 difference so I'm just wondering what folks opinions are on the " higher level " gear for the cost involved .

As stated above the wheels are slightly different which I hadn't noticed , but I'm unsure of how much better they are..

For a difference of 400 quid. The wheels are not much better.

What you have to decide is is changing gear or quality of ride more important to you. The quality of the gears do not make you go faster or make your ride more comfortable. Wheels can. And although Ultegra may not be as good as Sram red they still do the same job. They are not somehow clunky inferior gears just not as refined.
  • MikeBrew
    edited January 2016
    Aye, but there is £ 370 difference so I'm just wondering what folks opinions are on the " higher level " gear for the cost involved .

Really need to know what the two bikes are and the wheels are. All we know at the moment is what the groupsets are. SRAM Red group will set you back £900 absolute minimun. Ultegra group can be found for £390.
    So there's all(+more) of the £370extra price difference right there. Depending with bike has which frame and wheels the difference could be even more. You really need to say which specific bikes you're considering, in order to get any meaning full answers here.

I'm guessing you mean the Red Evo Red vs Green Evo Ultegra from Pauls cycles ? Resale of the Red equipped bike will be far stronger. the wheels on the RED equiped bike are Mavic Ksyrium Equipes that cost circa £300..m. On the Ultegra Evo wheels are Mavic Aksium that cost cira £150.

Getting Red Group AND better wheels for £370 is worth that money and way more. Getting the colour you prefer has to have some monetary value also... looking at your shiny new bike and thinking "fork I hate that colour,,,,,,,, but hey ho I saved £370", is that VFM ?
  • MikeBrew
    Id go with the Sram Force one from Westbrooks and fit a lightweight set of wheels. The main weight difference between Red and Force is in the Chainset weight but this one has a Cannondale one, not to sure on the weight of that.

That is the biggest bargain, IF you like Grey... Ideally you love the look of your new bike.
  • Yes it is those two bikes . And the resale value is something I wouldn't have thought about as much as you say .
    ( I think you have opened my eyes a bit with those figures )
    Just thought the 2015 v 2014 bike would counter a bit against the resale value ,,?
    Thanks for the input .

Ps not keen on the grey force bike . Will take another good look .
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    The Evo Red bike is a good deal, better wheels and a groupset that costs more than double Ultegra means its a priced same as the Ultegra bike,
    I don`t normally like red bikes but really like that colourway.
    I have the Evo Force as per Westbrooks (and paid even less!) Its a fab bike, I have Ksyrium Elites on, Concor FX saddle, cheap PX skewers , new BOR chainrings :lol::D:D heavy spd-sl pedals and it weighs 7050gr (and will be less very soon....)
    Groupset wise I was on Chorus for years with a breif try of Force 10 but didn`t like the levers, back to Chorus and then when the new Force 11 levers came out I was in (had it on a bike before the Evo too). Very similar positive action to Chorus but half the cost for parts and hardly ever need gears setting. Tried the 6800 and while a massive improvent in hood shape I much preffered Force 22.
    So I'd say get one of the Sram bikes in the colour you like best (unless your in Derby then get the Red!) and stick some slightly better wheels and you`ll be a very happy guy.
    I`ve not tried Red but can't see it being that much better than Force and the Cannondale chainset is ecellent and the same on both. Depends on your budget but I would definelty save some budget to get some better wheels for any of them.
    Let us know which you end up with though.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • galatzo
    Id go with the Sram Force one from Westbrooks and fit a lightweight set of wheels. The main weight difference between Red and Force is in the Chainset weight but this one has a Cannondale one, not to sure on the weight of that.

That is the biggest bargain, IF you like Grey... Ideally you love the look of your new bike.

You`ve gotta love the look of it or you won`t ride it not matter what the spec is.
    And the decals are more of an orangey red than your normal mid-life crisis Ferrari red !
    And its a mat finish which cleans ok but not as easy as gloss.
  • galatzo
    The RS81s wheels are now Ksyrium Elites (and loads better IMO), stems been slammed and chainrigs are BOR but you get the idea
    Cdale.jpg
  • Get the green one, for goodness sake:
    20151117_140308_zpssirh9rc8.jpg
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • MikeBrew
    Oh, and, what crankset does the Shimano one come with? See, for me, I ended up with a Cannondale Si Hollowgram FSA thing. It's really nice. And, where they sometimes stick in FSA cos it's cheap, it turns out the chainset is £350 rrp. No idea if that's worth it but it seems nice enough.

These are nice chain sets and regularly fetch £200-£250 on Ebay, when removed from a new bike before use. Really not sure why some folk choose to do this. Crank based power meters might be one explanation. Other people probably still labour under the urban myth/folklore that "BB30 = Bad", hence they slip-in an adapter and then shove on something sourced from Shimano or SRAM.
    However, helicopter (or some such) tape, is a must for the Chaplin-esque riders in our midst, as heel rub quickly divorces Matt Black from Annie Alloy leaving the arms looking decidedly tatty and tired...

Please me that saddle is only set so high for photographic purposes .
  • Yes, it is. I haven't ridden it much yet. So haven't taken more pics. It's well down now. Good point on the tape, will have a go at that.
  • galatzo
    Get the green one, for goodness sake:
    20151117_140308_zpssirh9rc8.jpg

Nice, nearly as nice as mine :wink:

We'll have a Supersix off when we're both happy with set-up and let the Foruminati decide :lol:
  • Thing is, you just can't go wrong, choose a good groupset and it'll all be fine. I've had Red. It's lovely. Force is all but identical, IMO. It's just about weight. I haven't had Shimano in years and I find Ultegra smooth and precise. And very quiet of course. Much better for stealth overtaking.

But, really, this is all about the frame. And the colour you want.
  • Bought the red white sram red .
    Wasn't mad keen on the green ( preferred my older SS gas colours with more white on )
    It's all personal taste on colours as has been said in this thread .
    Thanks for all the input . It realy helped .
    ;-)
  • BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

Enjoy dude, it's a bloody great bike.
  • galatzo
    This one ?
    Lovely colourway and that's coming from someone who normally doesn't like red.
    Some spiderrings or BOR chainrings will look ace on that.
    Just tilt those bars down a bit :wink:
    Enjoy

Supersix%20Sram%20Red.jpg
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Bought the red white sram red .
    Wasn't mad keen on the green ( preferred my older SS gas colours with more white on )
    It's all personal taste on colours as has been said in this thread .
    Thanks for all the input . It realy helped .
    ;-)

Great choice, enjoy.
  • Yeah that one ..
    Bars won't be going down it will cripple my back ....
    I was happy with my last ss . So I know what to expect ;-)
    Looks like the triban 3 will be for sale once the weather gets a bit better ;-)
  • MikeBrew
    Yeah that one ..
    Bars won't be going down it will cripple my back ....
    I was happy with my last ss . So I know what to expect ;-)
    Looks like the triban 3 will be for sale once the weather gets a bit better ;-)

Nice........I'm just a wee bit greener than Mr Robot's bike at the moment. For what it's worth, the spare spider and rings (be it the 50/34 or 53/39 that you keep) will fetch you about £50 on Ebay. More if you sell rings and spider separately. I recently paid £45 for those same style FSA rings in 52/36 on ebay. The spiders are advertised for about the same.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Congrats - both the green and red versions look very nice indeed. That said, my back still says thank you every time I jump on my 2015 Synapse with the stem at 'full mast' (and proudly wearing it's Ultegra/FSA combo). I also happen to think the light blue paintwork looks rather fetching as well.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Matthewfalle
    Cool - very, very good decision. You won't regret it.

Piccies?

And top work on the new bike!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    You'll instantly regret Sram Red :)

Only joking, the bike looks great and the most important part is that its red which as we all know is the fastest colour!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Right now buy the Hi mod frame from Pauls for £750 and sell yours on Ebay for £400 Jobs a good un. :D
  • MikeBrew
    Is the Hi-Mod not a bit too light to be durable though ? Maybe for a racing snake with single figure body fat percentage the few grams make a difference, but for normal mortals carrying a few 1000 grams of spare timber, can it really be worth it ?