Rapha Shadow

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Saw it today on the site and have to say it looks the mutts nuts ! eye wateringly expensive , but hey ho.

Now how do I hide £480 purchases !??
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Is a bit of a shame that it's SS and totally in black
    "It looks just like the name would indicate, so that you can remain hidden in the shadows until the time comes"

Time comes to get hit by a car? Understand that isn't important in racing.

Interested to see how good this technology is.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Is a bit of a shame that it's SS and totally in black
    "It looks just like the name would indicate, so that you can remain hidden in the shadows until the time comes"

It's from Italian spun fabric. So it's going to be utterly amazing ;)

Windtex is Italian spun as well. And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, used in the Mossa. That comes in SS and LS, and you can choose something other than shadow :)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • meanredspider
    Is a bit of a shame that it's SS and totally in black

It's from Italian spun fabric. So it's going to be utterly amazing ;)

Windtex is Italian spun as well. And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, used in the Mossa. That comes in SS and LS, and you can choose something other than shadow :)

According to what I can find, Windtex Storm Shield is Polypropylene. Rapha quote the Shadow as 53% Polyamide/ 47% Elastane. Doesn't sound like the same stuff to me but I've not done a thorough amount of research.

Windtex Storm Shield is also in the Lusso Aqua Repel.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I didn't mean to imply they were the same. Just that Rapha are selling the dream of Italian spun fabric as if that's some unique USP. What's different here is the mix of Polyamide and Elastane. So it's more Elastany (sic) than the Gabba. I don't know what that means. But it's £130 more than a SS Gabba at today's prices. £220 for a black, short sleeve, race jersey.

The dentists will be lapping it up.
  • meanredspider
    I didn't mean to imply they were the same. Just that Rapha are selling the dream of Italian spun fabric as if that's some unique USP. What's different here is the mix of Polyamide and Elastane. So it's more Elastany (sic) than the Gabba. I don't know what that means. But it's £130 more than a SS Gabba at today's prices. £220 for a black, short sleeve, race jersey.

I'm not sure that it's fair to compare it to the Gabba. In my experience, Gabba has very little rain resistance. The DWR is what Rapha are selling here.

Plenty of people sell the dream of Italian spun fabric - for all sorts of reasons.
  • Speculation overdrive.

You've got to hand it to Rapha though - it looks lovely, Certainly when it's compared to the Mossa which looks like it was designed by a child. It may perform well but ffs it's vile looking!
  • I didn't mean to imply they were the same. Just that Rapha are selling the dream of Italian spun fabric as if that's some unique USP. What's different here is the mix of Polyamide and Elastane. So it's more Elastany (sic) than the Gabba. I don't know what that means. But it's £130 more than a SS Gabba at today's prices. £220 for a black, short sleeve, race jersey.

I'm not sure that it's fair to compare it to the Gabba. In my experience, Gabba has very little rain resistance. The DWR is what Rapha are selling here.

Plenty of people sell the dream of Italian spun fabric - for all sorts of reasons.

But the Gabba is DWR coated. And it fails. This Rapha thing simply has some more DWR coated within it, from the description.

And the description implies many things without stating any thing. Talks about rain jackets, rainwater protection where you needed. But it's not a water proof it seems. It doesn't even seem to be water resistant despite the DWR being the headline? It's wind resistant, from the headlines. It's a bit of a curates egg to me at the moment.
  • meanredspider
    Yup - DWR could be anything.

So I'm back to where I was. It's black and short-sleeved and we don't know how good it is.
  • After 3 washes it's just going to be an expensive pro team jersey!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    It's being marketed as foul weather race kit but most people who race are going to be members of clubs and teams so will be wearing that kit. Then for those who are not members of clubs but still wanting to race BC events there are 3 specific clothing rules - wear a helmet, no sleeveless jerseys and no all black kit!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    After 3 washes it's just going to be an expensive pro team jersey!

3 i doubt it would last 1 but still it does look the nuts, mind you no amount of training is ever going to make me fit/look good in it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • It's being marketed as foul weather race kit but most people who race are going to be members of clubs and teams so will be wearing that kit. Then for those who are not members of clubs but still wanting to race BC events there are 3 specific clothing rules - wear a helmet, no sleeveless jerseys and no all black kit!

How many people actually race their 'racing bikes'?
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Speculation overdrive.

You've got to hand it to Rapha though - it looks lovely, Certainly when it's compared to the Mossa which looks like it was designed by a child. It may perform well but ffs it's vile looking!

design your own then! You can get a Mossa custom printed if you want
  • itboffin
    It's being marketed as foul weather race kit but most people who race are going to be members of clubs and teams so will be wearing that kit. Then for those who are not members of clubs but still wanting to race BC events there are 3 specific clothing rules - wear a helmet, no sleeveless jerseys and no all black kit!

How many people actually race their 'racing bikes'?

I think on here quite a few, certainly the majority of my club do and a fair few that i know of elsewhere, mind you they also crash alot too :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    70 quid too expensive.
  • My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    We all go racing in the rain don't we? This is aimed at wealthy people who dream of being pros but are now to old and never had it anyway. Those who do race usually have to wear club kit even Rapha club kit. Its like all those stupid name labels in the Pro Team stuff so you can identify your kit after its been washed along with the rest of the team's. Its all for dreamers. The shorts look the same cut as the regular Pro Team shorts which have a really unflattering leg configuration. Most shorts now have a much wider elasticated area. Will this stuff be good when the sun comes out? Ashmei shorts are water repellent not sure if same fabric, same price though.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    Its like all those stupid name labels in the Pro Team stuff so you can identify your kit after its been washed along with the rest of the team's.
    If you buy Pro Team kit, don't be surprised if it has Pro Team details. :roll:
    It wouldn't be Pro Team kit otherwise. That is the whole point. The same kit as the Team.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Its like all those stupid name labels in the Pro Team stuff so you can identify your kit after its been washed along with the rest of the team's.
    It wouldn't be Pro Team kit otherwise. That is the whole point. The same kit as the Team.
    No it isnt. It doesn't have Sky written all over it. Its all pretend.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Or you can buy this which has 99% of the functionality of the Rapha jersey for a fraction of the price. And it comes in different colours.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-windstopper-softshell-short-sleeve-jersey/
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • We all go racing in the rain don't we? This is aimed at wealthy people who dream of being pros but are now to old and never had it anyway. Those who do race usually have to wear club kit even Rapha club kit. Its like all those stupid name labels in the Pro Team stuff so you can identify your kit after its been washed along with the rest of the team's. Its all for dreamers. The shorts look the same cut as the regular Pro Team shorts which have a really unflattering leg configuration. Most shorts now have a much wider elasticated area. Will this stuff be good when the sun comes out? Ashmei shorts are water repellent not sure if same fabric, same price though.

That comes across as pretty bitter mate. It`s a cycling top we`re on about.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    No it isnt. It doesn't have Sky written all over it. Its all pretend.
    My stuff does.
    That's what I dislike the most.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Castelli do a £300 rain jacket...assos £300 bibs (and worse)...seriously guys, whats the deal with the endless rapha bashing threads?? It's a british company doing well that does (mostly) pretty damn good kit and which has a history of supporting british teams and so on...chill!! ;)
  • Castelli do a £300 rain jacket...assos £300 bibs (and worse)...seriously guys, whats the deal with the endless rapha bashing threads?? It's a british company doing well that does (mostly) pretty damn good kit and which has a history of supporting british teams and so on...chill!! ;)

The others are as bad, but at least Castelli have a bigger range for all pockets.

My irritation with Rapha for this product is that I have no idea what it actually is. Lots of puff description about things which it implies it might be but doesn't claim that it is. Meanwhile their previously lauded DWR coated base layer is being sold off for £40.
  • itboffin
    Rapha aside there's a fair amount of really good kit for crappy weather available now this can only be a good thing as they all compete for the market "edge" perhaps one day we'll have that space age single outfit that does all weather conditions and recycles lost body moisture into drinkable water, yay! no more biddons :lol:
  • There's a "new" one from Prendas today as well. Santini based. Anyway, Rapha confirmed to me that the Shadow is water resistant. They should say that in the actual specs!
  • Meanwhile their previously lauded DWR coated base layer is being sold off for £40.

Because they've brought out an updated version with a short zip. What's the problem with that? It's what companies do to sell you more kit. Strandard practice.
  • Meanwhile their previously lauded DWR coated base layer is being sold off for £40.

Because they've brought out an updated version with a short zip. What's the problem with that? It's what companies do to sell you more kit. Strandard practice.

Is the zip worth 140 quid?
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    From reading the blurb on the Rapha site, the point of this jacket is that it's made from a tightly woven fabric with no membrane sandwiched in as per the Gabba, et al.

It'll feel pretty much windproof, water repellant due to the DWR treatment and very breathable. I won't buy this jacket, but I do see the point/niche of it.