Turbo Trainer Videos

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
I am unable to get out on the road in the winter due to my Asthma as the cold air and the continuous gale force winds make it very difficult, i go MTB in the forest is the best i can do.

However I have my road bike set up on my trainer , I have creates sessions on ,my garmin but been looking at some of these training videos you get and wonder if any one uses these and if so suggest some good ones?

Thanks

Comments

• http://thesufferfest.com/ Are the most renouned collection, although they do run quite expensive. But to be honest do a search on youtube for cycle training videos and there's masses of them. GCN do some for example.

But I've found that having feedback on how hard you're working is the most important factor, take a look at the likes of http://www.trainerroad.com/ http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ which will give you power numers (real or estimated from your wheel speed), you can do intervals against. There is also http://www.zwift.com but that's a bit more equipment intensive.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    The Zwift is great. Very interactive and training options. You need a turbo, speed sensor ANT +, and an ANT + USB dongle. Have a look at the video
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    2nd the GCN videos on YouTube, they're really good. But if you really can't ride every when it's cold I'd be looking at Zwift and a smart trainer. The cheapest ones start at about £280 and Zwift is reasonably priced too. It really is the most enjoyable way I've found of turbo training.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I prefer Sufferfest compared to most of the youtube ones I have seen. I paid to download a couple (Revolver and Nine Hammers), and I use them quite often - they are really hard if you do them properly.

They do have a streaming app, which is $9.99/month (£6.88 currently plus any bank fees), and IMO is pretty good value.
  • 2nd the GCN videos on YouTube, they're really good. But if you really can't ride every when it's cold I'd be looking at Zwift and a smart trainer. The cheapest ones start at about £280 and Zwift is reasonably priced too. It really is the most enjoyable way I've found of turbo training.
    Thanks I just ordered my ANT+ stick, signed up with Zwift got 14 days / 50km and then linked my Strava account and got another 2 months free also.

So will give this is bash first and see how I go.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I got bored of Zwift very quickly. Git it when it first came out and dipped in and out of it, Improved with the good workout creator but ultimately Riding round in circles got so dull.
    I'm a big fan of CycleOps Virtual Training. That's evolving all the time too with a new career mode.
    The videos are good but the ability to create and use google earth courses and see them in street view mode as you ride is invaluable, especially for recce'ing TT courses I haven't done yet.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I got bored of Zwift very quickly. Git it when it first came out and dipped in and out of it, Improved with the good workout creator but ultimately Riding round in circles got so dull.
    I'm a big fan of CycleOps Virtual Training. That's evolving all the time too with a new career mode.
    The videos are good but the ability to create and use google earth courses and see them in street view mode as you ride is invaluable, especially for recce'ing TT courses I haven't done yet.

Did you use Zwift with a smart trainer? As riding on the 'flat' would be dull.

The new extension on Zwift is good, with the appropriate choice of turn you can now do 18 miles without having to repeat any road in the same direction.
  • MikeWW
    I got bored of Zwift very quickly. Git it when it first came out and dipped in and out of it, Improved with the good workout creator but ultimately Riding round in circles got so dull.

Did you use Zwift with a smart trainer? As riding on the 'flat' would be dull.

The new extension on Zwift is good, with the appropriate choice of turn you can now do 18 miles without having to repeat any road in the same direction.

I agree. Plus the races series you can do are great fun, as well as the group rides. Seems to be growing massively-over 1000 people on it the other night!!

• I agree. Plus the races series you can do are great fun, as well as the group rides. Seems to be growing massively-over 1000 people on it the other night!!

Never really tried the group rides, as I usually end up riding when I can fit it in rather than any particular time so finding one my pace is tricky. I've tried to tack on the back of some groups as they've gone by but even riding flat out to try and keep on, no good.

Watopia seems to be expanding quickly, they've got that Ocean Road extension in now, and there's going to be a mountain route coming soon. They seem to suggest it won't stop there either.

Just being able to turn at junctions does make a big difference, it keeps the interest level up when you're thinking "which way shall I go now?"
  • MikeWW

I agree. Plus the races series you can do are great fun, as well as the group rides. Seems to be growing massively-over 1000 people on it the other night!!

Never really tried the group rides, as I usually end up riding when I can fit it in rather than any particular time so finding one my pace is tricky. I've tried to tack on the back of some groups as they've gone by but even riding flat out to try and keep on, no good.

Watopia seems to be expanding quickly, they've got that Ocean Road extension in now, and there's going to be a mountain route coming soon. They seem to suggest it won't stop there either.

Just being able to turn at junctions does make a big difference, it keeps the interest level up when you're thinking "which way shall I go now?"

There are different categories of races all based on w/kg so its fairly easy to find something that fits. Same goes with group rides. Even hooked up with a group last week to do a chain gang. All of it just adds to the mix. As they extend the course(s) should get even better and it seems they are getting enough numbers to be able to do that without people riding on their own (which they are trying to avoid) Agree about the turns BTW
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There are plenty of in race videos on Youtube if you fancy them - but you do find yourself racing all the time.

There was a website that was based on Google Streetview- you could plot your route on it, and it'd show you the footage as you cycled. Can't remember the site now - but that could be worth a google.
  • There are plenty of in race videos on Youtube if you fancy them - but you do find yourself racing all the time.

There was a website that was based on Google Streetview- you could plot your route on it, and it'd show you the footage as you cycled. Can't remember the site now - but that could be worth a google.

I think Tacx has software which does that, but it's not free.

Kinomap has an iPhone app called Skuga which will talk to smart trainers to simulate an outside route you've previously done.

BKool will do simulations of outside rides too with a 3D environment.

Problem is that outside GPS data is far from perfect, and these imperfections show through massively trying to simulate a ride.