Help - I've been really struggling, this winter.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited November 2016 in Training, fitness and health
I've been riding for over 10 years, last year I rode 5000+ miles and made a point of riding through the winter.
A 40-60 mile ride with a couple of hills averaging 17-18mph is my standard ride, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Throughout this unseasonably mild December and my first ride yesterday, I've been absolutely battered on 'standard' rides finally rolling in, in pain, having 'blown up' 10 miles back.

The first thing to go has been the front of my thighs, feeling like they are burning through my bibs.

I'm eating and drinking ok, I think.
What the hell's going on?

Any advise, other than some time off the road, (no self control when around food at home!!) would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I`d be asking my GP this question.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • PostieJohn
    I`d be asking my GP this question.
    Oh blimey I'm a long way from that.

What can my GP tell me that you lot can't? :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it possible your seatpost is slipping so your saddle's too low?

Brake dragging or rear tyre rubbing on a chainstay?

Hubs still spinning smoothly??
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    It has been really windy!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Have you noticed any changes in your physical fitness doing any other activity or just when cycling?
    If it's only when cycling, then I'd be inclined to check the bike as other have suggested. Do you ride more than one bike - this may help to eliminate the bike as a cause of the problem.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Could be very tight hip flexors, tight muscles just above the knee. Go get a sports massage, see what is happening on a muscular level. Wouldn't hurt to get one anyway.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I've been riding for over 10 years, last year I rode 5000+ miles and made a point of riding through the winter.
    A 40-60 mile ride with a couple of hills averaging 17-18mph is my standard ride, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Throughout this unseasonably mild December and my first ride yesterday, I've been absolutely battered on 'standard' rides finally rolling in, in pain, having 'blown up' 10 miles back.

The first thing to go has been the front of my thighs, feeling like they are burning through my bibs.

Any advise, other than some time off the road, (no self control when around food at home!!) would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds very frustrating. A few things spring to mind... some may be obvious because you have been riding for a good while...

Have you got measurements for your bike setup? Check if things have moved as others have said. Subtle change in e.g. saddle angle can change the stress on muscle groups without you noticing in the first instance.

What do you mean by blow up? Out of energy, or particular pain points? How is your power on shorter rides? Is that affected too? Do you feel OK at the start of your long ride? Are you under extra stress in other areas of your life?
  • PostieJohn
    Thanks for the replies, it's nice to tick some off, bike set up etc and scratch my chin on a couple of others.

I can feel a 'peace of mind' mechanical overhaul, coming up.

I'm feeling good to ride, even getting a kick out of the rough stuff, although thankfully I fair better than much of the country being on the Sussex coast.

I did pop out for a brisk 15 miles, today, which was good.
    That didn't really surprise me as it's not really been until the 40 ish mile mark that I start to struggle.

I'll keep plugging away, who knows maybe it could just be something as simple as not really properly switching over to winter miles.
    I'm sure I have, I guess a couple of non Garmin rides might be revealing to my subconscious.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    It has been really windy!

That was my first thought when I read the thread title.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    So long as you have no other symptoms I'd give it a while, if you start struggling on short rides or experience symptoms in everyday life then I would go to a doctor.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If I read right your base fittness may not be what you hope it is. You could try frequent short rides with one long weekend ride all at a lower heart rate to build base fittness. High gear hill reps help build leg strength.

It think unless there is something amiss health wise that time on the bike will cure this lull.
    A health checkup (blood pressure e.t.c) is never a bad idea as there maybe something hidden.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I did pop out for a brisk 15 miles, today, which was good.
    That didn't really surprise me as it's not really been until the 40 ish mile mark that I start to struggle.

Have you done any big 'achievement rides' in the last 3 months or so? i.e. a tough 100+ or a multi-day ride that is out of your standard mileage.

The only time I've ever had something like you describe was completing the Chiltern 100 when I had not done that sort of distance/climbing before. For two-three months afterwards I would blow around the 40 mile mark on club rides. I put it down to my body needing to recover. The only difference is that I only had 2.5 years of riding in my legs not your 10.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    PostieJohn wrote:

Any update on this?