stanchions

2»

Comments

• Ok, so a mix of marketing and some science behind it with special low friction coatings. I have my Rebas in the gold and have tried the latest and found no difference, Fox 15 CTD none Kashima was just rubbish.

Was curious as Ohlins have gone black and it surprised me. So was expecting something more to it.

If fastblack and kashima are just chemical coatings, could you have this applied to stanchions that aren't coated in them? Or is the limiting factor, that the stanchions are none removable?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kashima gives less friction reduction than fitting SKF seals and costs several times as much.
    Just because Ohlins coating is the same colour as Rockshox doesn't mean it's even similar.
  • Yes Rockmonkey,

now we are making progress for me :)

This is why I asked about stanchion colors and what makes them different.

From what I can see Ohlins mention nothing about the stanchions. Obviously less friction is better (in some circumstances). But they have followed the trend of black. I was digging around to see if there was something in that, seems as the Ohlins are top of my wish list.

In real world performance to a none professional, would or could you notice a difference between, for example Kashima forks and the none Kashima, or some Fastblack rebas and some standard Rebas?

I couldn't notice a difference between some old rebas and modern, but mine are custom.

Logically I would expect a difference, but in real life it is sometimes the opposite.

And that knowledge of low friction SKF seals is invaluable :)