Inaccurate speed/distance data when uploaded to Strava

Leslie513
Leslie513 Posts: 6
I'm pretty new to TrainerRoad, and so far I'm loving it. However, I'm unsure why the speed data is way off when I upload the workouts to Strava.

For example, here's some data from my 8 minute test:
- FTP: 257
- avg power: 207
- max power: 574
- avg speed: 73.9 km/h
- max speed: 120.6 km/h

If anyone has any idea why this is, please let me know :) (as cool as it is being super human :wink: .... it's messing up my Strava scores, haha)

Comments

• Does the same data show online on Trainer Road. If so, it is a problem with the speed from your turbo or whatever. What are you using?

If Trainer Road is correct you can get Strava support to fix it..

BTW, it is much more reliable to record your session on a Garmin and upload that to Strava, thereby avoiding any TR to Strava issues.
  • Does the same data show online on Trainer Road. If so, it is a problem with the speed from your turbo or whatever. What are you using?

If Trainer Road is correct you can get Strava support to fix it..

BTW, it is much more reliable to record your session on a Garmin and upload that to Strava, thereby avoiding any TR to Strava issues.

I've tried looking for the speed online on TrainerRoad but, it's not displayed at all. The only place I can see the speed is after the workout, once I've uploaded it to Strava.

I'm using the Tacx Vortex. I'm using the TrainerRoad app on an ipad, wirelessly connecting it to the trainer. I don't have an ANT+ dongle yet, thus I haven't connected a speed sensor... maybe the issue will sort itself out when I get those?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    It's probably the Vortex transmitting the wrong speed data to TrainerRoad, as it's got no way of knowing what gear you're using, just how much power that's being generated through the roller. You can skew the speed mph depending on which gear you use if on ERG mode. I have it on the 34 tooth front ring and set it so you have a straight chainline, doesn't show as a high average mph but it's nice and quiet.

You need a speed sensor to get accurate mph, plus you can then also record to your Garmin head unit, independent of TR.
    You also need a cadence sensor as ERG mode works best with steady controlled cadence, otherwise TR is constantly adjusting it's power to compensate for varying cadence.
  • It's probably the Vortex transmitting the wrong speed data to TrainerRoad, as it's got no way of knowing what gear you're using, just how much power that's being generated through the roller. You can skew the speed mph depending on which gear you use if on ERG mode. I have it on the 34 tooth front ring and set it so you have a straight chainline, doesn't show as a high average mph but it's nice and quiet.

You need a speed sensor to get accurate mph, plus you can then also record to your Garmin head unit, independent of TR.
    You also need a cadence sensor as ERG mode works best with steady controlled cadence, otherwise TR is constantly adjusting it's power to compensate for varying cadence.
    How do you set it to ERG mode? I've been shifting to increase or decrease power.

I'll get the dongle & speed\cadence sensors as soon as I can. The thing that confuses me is that the Tacx app has no problem with speed.. yet TrainerRoad (not only when uploaded to Strava, but on the program itself) is way off. So, I'm thinking that maybe it's an issue with TrainerRoad picking up the data, and not necessarily the trainer. Thoughts? Should I call or email them?
  • Elfed
    You go to the Devices tab in TrainerRoad, then you'll see either Tacx Vortex or Fec trainer. You'll have three options, ERG, Resistance or Standard.

If you're connecting to the ipad already, does that mean it's already ant plus enabled? if so you probably don't need a dongle, just the speed/cadence sensor. Or is it a Bluetooth connection?

The most important thing in ERG mode is a steady cadence.
  • You go to the Devices tab in TrainerRoad, then you'll see either Tacx Vortex or Fec trainer. You'll have three options, ERG, Resistance or Standard.

If you're connecting to the ipad already, does that mean it's already ant plus enabled? if so you probably don't need a dongle, just the speed/cadence sensor. Or is it a Bluetooth connection?

The most important thing in ERG mode is a steady cadence.
    It's not ant+ enabled without the dongle, but the ipad connects to the trainer via Bluetooth.

When I go to the devices tab in TrainerRoad, the only items listed are Tacx Vortex and Virtual Power. The virtual power is listed as 'unavailable when a power device is connected'. There are no other options available, from what I see
  • Elfed
    You don't need Virtual Power as the Vortex Smart is capable of transmitting actual power.

Is there not an options tab under Tacx Vortex?

I'm using the beta pc version of Trainerroad so it'll be different to the ois version. In the pc version I'm sure that the Vortex connects as an Ant+-Fec device.
  • First off, I would like to sincerely thank the people who took time out of their day to respond. I really appreciate your help. I contacted customer support, as nothing I've tried has been effective. Here's the answer to the issue I *was* having: :D

"Hey Leslie,

So here's what I found. Since you're pairing the Vortex via Bluetooth it's not going to behave like a normal electronic trainer. What you'll want to do is lower your wheel circumference by exactly half. This should fix the high speed readings you've been experiencing
    ."

BRILLIANT. Amazing customer support from TrainerRoad.
  • Elfed
    First off, I would like to sincerely thank the people who took time out of their day to respond. I really appreciate your help. I contacted customer support, as nothing I've tried has been effective. Here's the answer to the issue I *was* having: :D

"Hey Leslie,

So here's what I found. Since you're pairing the Vortex via Bluetooth it's not going to behave like a normal electronic trainer. What you'll want to do is lower your wheel circumference by exactly half. This should fix the high speed readings you've been experiencing
    ."

BRILLIANT. Amazing customer support from TrainerRoad.

Hopefully that'll sort out your problem, tell us if it works.