Beetroot Juice

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
Anybody (else) drinking the stuff? I've got into the habit after an ex-pro at my Amsterdam LBS recommended it wholeheartedly. I have no idea if it works (to improve blood flow, seemingly, through nitrates) but it tastes sufficiently foul to be plausibly doing me some good (if only the placebo effect of the foul taste) and nitrates in general seem to get good press - especially related to blood pressure. On that basis alone (and because I've found orange juice plays hell with my stomach) I'm going to continue despite the initially alarming effects on your waste products.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've been drinking it daily for the past couple of years in an attempt to lower my blood pressure. I'm nearly 63 and my blood pressure is hovering just below the level at which I would be advised to take medication. I would prefer not to take drugs for the rest of my life although I'm sure I will have to start in the next few years.

A combination of taking beet juice, reducing my weight by 3 or 4 lbs and more structured and energetic training (I'm a competitive runner) saw my blood pressure fall slightly. I've been a bit heavier towards the end of 2015 and my blood pressure has been creeping up. My last week-long twice daily blood pressure average in mid-Nov was 137/87 so I'm still managing to keep below my doctor's suggested figure of 150/90 before I start considering medication.

I can't say whether it improves my endurance performance, as claimed by some sports scientists, but I like to think it does. I like to have a biggish glass before a race. My pee afterwards is the colour of blood! Must be the dehydration effect of hard running as pee colour is otherwise normal. I have Beet It by James White - and have to say I like the taste. But then I do like the taste of solid beetroot in salads etc.
  • I take zipvit beetroot capsules, still get the 'benefits' on it without having to taste the stuff
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    The Channel 4 program Food Unwrapped featured a spot on Beetroot.

See here: http://beet-it.com/blog/food-unwrapped-puts-beet-it-to-the-test/

I've tried it for turbo/spin bike sessions and I 'seem' to be improved in performance. Never tested it for long enough to be totally convinced as I kept forgetting to buy it on my weekly shopping trips.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    nitrates allow to blood to take up more oxygen I think. I like the taste of beetroot juice. I drink it before a TT or race and quite like it. Pee is a bit dark for a few days afterwards though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • meanredspider
    I think it dilates the blood vessels and I think you need to use it for a few days (a week is what the ex-pro said) for it to really work. Like many things, it probably works differently for different people.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • It comes in a concentrated powder form, which seems ideal for those who dislike the taste. However, there is no evidence it has the same effect as the liquid, or does anyone know otherwise?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Juiced raw vegetables are just 'good' in a general health sense in order to combat processed foods that have been the rot of a western diet for the last 50 years.
    I think that attributing any further benefits leaves you up the proverbial garden path or allotment.
    I grew crops of beetroot this year to cater for a Russian campaign, last crop basically got left in the ground as enough was enough.
    But oh dear, I got faster in a spin class just about sums up things when it gets to discussing health and fitness on a forum.
  • meanredspider
    Juiced raw vegetables are just 'good' in a general health sense

Yes - that's basically my stance: it probably does me no harm, seems directionally "right" and, if there's more to it than that, all the better.
  • I like the taste actually... but I find it to be quite a lot laxative and it doesn't do anything to my cycling... so I no longer buy it
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    but I find it to be quite a lot laxative

Does it not even speed you up to the next cafe stop? :shock: :lol::wink:
  • But oh dear, I got faster in a spin class just about sums up things when it gets to discussing health and fitness on a forum.

IN!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drpau
    drpau Posts: 8
    I tried it in prep for a marathon. Its just sooo earthy, like if you were to actually eat some soil!! It made me gag to be honest. My girlfriend had no issues with it, down in one, no gagging! Go figure!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Add an apple to the beetroot juice for a bit of sweetness, delicious. James White Beet It Organic beetroot juice is a tasty blend if you're finding your own unpalatable. Or for better value pop into your local polish shop and buy a big carton of Barszcz, pronounced 'borscht' Beetroot juice with a little celery, carrot and garlic, very tasty hot or cold.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I like the taste actually... but I find it to be quite a lot laxative and it doesn't do anything to my cycling... so I no longer buy it

This was my experience too, often found myself jumping out the car like an 80's TV detective, and diving into the nearest pub toilet on the way to evening TT's! I no longer use it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Juiced raw vegetables are just 'good' in a general health sense in order to combat processed foods that have been the rot of a western diet for the last 50 years.
    I think that attributing any further benefits leaves you up the proverbial garden path or allotment.
    I grew crops of beetroot this year to cater for a Russian campaign, last crop basically got left in the ground as enough was enough.
    But oh dear, I got faster in a spin class just about sums up things when it gets to discussing health and fitness on a forum.
    Or alternatively you could always go with the research, which suggests that "good in a general health sense" is a highly dubious claim - there is no evidence, for example, that organic foods are any healthier than "inorganic" - but there is actually firm evidence for the efficacy of beetroot, as in test results that show it makes a difference, backed up by a plausible explanation of the mechanism by which it works.
    "Health beliefs" may give you some placebo benefit, and there is any amount of ridiculous sports "science", but somewhere in there you will sometimes find some real science. There would appear to be good evidence that beetroot fits into that category.
  • How much of the stuff do you need to put in ?

Our local Co-Op started stocking these pickled sweet chilli baby beetroots and I'm addicted, get through like 500g a day. But those juices you guys have are concentrated essence of beetroot aren't they?

That said, it's enough to turn all bathroom visits a brighter shade of crimson, as has already been reported...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Or alternatively you could always go with the research, which suggests that "good in a general health sense" is a highly dubious claim - there is no evidence, for example, that organic foods are any healthier than "inorganic" - but there is actually firm evidence for the efficacy of beetroot, as in test results that show it makes a difference, backed up by a plausible explanation of the mechanism by which it works.
    "Health beliefs" may give you some placebo benefit, and there is any amount of ridiculous sports "science", but somewhere in there you will sometimes find some real science. There would appear to be good evidence that beetroot fits into that category.

what juiced veggies not good in a general health sense then??? what??

ok if they be dubious, I'll have mine pickled and turned into alcohol.

You talk some crap mate
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I used beet juice last year and it subjectively seemed to have a positive effect. However, the last time I started drinking it a few days before my event, the laxative effect was quite unpleasant and I'm sure it affected my performance in the event, as I was cramping from quite early on. I really suffered that day.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Back in youth 'lifting' days taking nitrate pre workout supplements would substantially increase performance and mental concentration for an hour or so, it would seem beet juice would act in similar fashion, if to a lesser extent. I quite like eating boiled beets, not sure about the drink.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You talk some crap mate
    Well, like you I'm on an internet forum so what do you expect?
    I wasn't really aiming at you, more at fads like detoxing and juicing - of course a diet that's big in raw veg is a healthy one, but cooked veg is just as good, and there's no evidence that turning it into a vile cold soup has any benefits at all.
    And so, like I said, I'm aiming at the whole area of "health beliefs" vs things where there is evidence that they are actually beneficial. Like beetroot, for example, which you appear to dismiss because - well, I'm not sure why, perhaps you could tell us.

Random (slightly relevant) fact: in the 19th century, British people ate, on average, around 50% more meat than they do now, and most of it was red meat too.
  • Plenty of alternative high nitrate foods around if you don't get on with beetroot.

Ironically, processed meats are packed with them.

Some interesting reading here........

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2012/09/nitrates-the-good-the-bad-the-truth/

I use the term 'interesting' loosely
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    How much of the stuff do you need to put in ?

Our local Co-Op started stocking these pickled sweet chilli baby beetroots and I'm addicted, get through like 500g a day. But those juices you guys have are concentrated essence of beetroot aren't they?

That said, it's enough to turn all bathroom visits a brighter shade of crimson, as has already been reported...

500g a day is pretty much the minimum that the research states is effective from a performance-boosting aspect. I take the Beet-It shots before a race which are the equivalent of 500ml of beetroot juice, in a thick 100g shot. They do seem to lead me to have a "floaty" feeling after an hour, whether it is the effect of the nitrite or a placebo, I'm not in a position to prove but the recent science seems quite conclusive. (Also, read Michael Hutchison's "Faster", there is a short piece on beetroot in that).
  • Beetroots are well-known as a versatile ingredient in many different foods. Numerous traditional cuisines prominently make use of the vegetable. Moreover, it holds many tibenabvi medicinal benefits. Every part of the beetroots is of use. These parts include roots, leaves, and the vegetable itself. Beetroot benefits have been recognized since ancient times and have been used by numerous civilizations as well.
  • I have beetroot slices on my lunchtime butties everyday. No idea of weight of slices but they do taste good. Not the pickled abomination. Just fresh cooked beetroot. And it tastes even better when sliced fresh out of the pan and still warm. Manna from heaven.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It is well recognised that juicing will destroy solid fibre in fruit and veg, meaning it passes through abnd into your system faster than it should, so that sugars are more likely to spike your blood sugar in an unhealthy way. Pure speculation alert: This may be why the juice/concentrate has a laxative effect.

Personally I like beetroot sliced in sandwiches since having it in a gourmet burger. I quite like a Black Pudding and Beetroot sandwich after giving blood (sometimes with moozzarella and tomato). I haven't measured any performance effects though. But I don't get purple wee or dashes to the loo.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I have to say, I like the pickled abominations... and they do make my pee pink and they do give me the trots...

The jury is out about whether the nitrates in beetroot have an effect in performance and in which sport that is relevant

Nice thread resurrection, by the way
    left the forum March 2023