Bike Fit + Knee Pain

Max Cranage
Max Cranage Posts: 14
Hi,

About four weeks ago I went and had a bike fit. It lasted just over two hours and was very thorough. Ever since the bike fit I've been getting very bad knee pain in the front of my right knee and slightly to the left side of the knee cap. The first two weeks after the fit I literally did 2-3 rides of 15-20 miles at 140 watt average, so seriously easy. After these rides I felt a slight ache in the knee but ever so slight and I just put it down to the new position. Four-five weeks later I'm here now not even able to ride 5iles without the pain coming back and it's very painful. When my leg is slightly bent the knee feels bruised, when the leg is straight it's a lot more comfortable.

I contacted the guy who performed the fit and his only feedback was to slightly move the seat back. I did this and went on a 10 mile test ride. No difference and I was hobbling for 3 days and icing etc. I then took a full 10 days off cycling with no real activity just stretching etc after ten days off, today again I thought I would do a test ride, very easy again and after 5 miles I could feel the pain creeping back in. I got back to the car after 8 miles and could barely bend my knee without pain. I thought with a good 10 day rest i would've seen some slight improvement.

I've read a lot online saying the seat could be slightly to low, to far forward or tilted slightly but I was under the impression a bike fit was supposed to lay the bike out in the correct position for you based on your flexibility etc so I don't really want to adjust the bike after paying hundreds of pounds for a fit which was supposed to solve these issues.

If anyone has had a similar problem or any input I would appreciate it. I've read that it could also be a muscular imbalance where the outside of the quad muscle becomes stronger than the inside causing the patella to track in the wrong motion but I just can't understand how over night after a bike fit I'm basically crippled even after taking a cautious approach to rides after the fit. Prior to the fit I was cycling 150 miles per week with one ride being 50-70 miles all with no problems at all.

Cheers

Max

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bike fits are great, aren't they? Assuming you were ok before the fit, just put your bike back to its pre-fit settings and see if that helps...
  • Bike fits are great, aren't they? Assuming you were ok before the fit, just put your bike back to its pre-fit settings and see if that helps...

Yeah really great haha! I must admit the first few rides after the fit I felt a lot more comfortable and it almost felt quicker where I assume power output was more efficient. Rookie mistake but pre fit I didn't take down any measurements as nearly everyone and their grand mother were telling me that a bike fit was the biggest thing to do, I've gone from 150 miles a week to not even being able to finish 5 miles. I guess I'm going to just rest for another 2-3 weeks and give it a trial, I've looked into another fit with another company. I'm doing a 4 day event to Paris from where I live in England in May and I've raised quite a sum of money and at this rate I won't be able to
    Complete the ride :(
  • Some bike fitters don't pay enough attention to cleat position, was this adjusted or looked at during the bike fit.

My cleat "float" was adjusted which stopped my ITB pain I was getting in my left knee, what I have now though is far worse. I have all the measurements from the fit so I may tinker with saddle height and fore and aft and maybe return it to the position it's in now if nothing improves.
  • imposter2.0
    What is the contract with the fitter? Is there any re-visit on offer - as clearly you have major issues with what was done...

Would be interesting to know what kind of fit - ie retul, bioracer, or just some bloke in a shed...
  • A couple of things you could try;

1: are your cleats noticeably worn? If so, try new ones.
    2: mark your seat post height, eg with insulation tape. Then put it up 5-10mm. Does it help? If not put it back.
    3: mark your saddle fore/aft position eg with insulation tape on saddle rails, try moving backwards 10mm. Does it help? If not put it back
    4: did your bike fit push your cleats forward? If so, draw around them with a biro and push them back 2mm. If it doesn't help, put them back and accept I am all out of suggestions!
  • What is the contract with the fitter? Is there any re-visit on offer - as clearly you have major issues with what was done...

Would be interesting to know what kind of fit - ie retul, bioracer, or just some bloke in a shed...

I've messaged him a few times but no real mention of going back yet. It's a bicycle chain shop, they are family run stores in my area there are 3 of them. The lad who does the fits is a sponsored rider, won a lot of competitions and does does competitions abroad and finishes on the podium so very experienced and a decent rider. The fit was done a jig and I was videoed and hooked up to a laptop showing pedal stroke and power etc and my hips knees and ankles were laser aligned.

I have moved the seat back a few MM which made no difference. I'm going to move saddle height up a few mm and try that, I've also ordered new cleats as well. I appreciate the feedback I'm literally willing to try anything. I've been doing three lots of hot and cold treatments a day plus exercises on a potential muscular imbalance to try and eliminate that scenario but won't see any effects for 4-6 weeks obviously.
  • imposter2.0
    The lad who does the fits is a sponsored rider, won a lot of competitions and does does competitions abroad and finishes on the podium so very experienced and a decent rider. The fit was done a jig and I was videoed and hooked up to a laptop showing pedal stroke and power etc and my hips knees and ankles were laser aligned.

All I would say is that being a fast rider does not automatically qualify you as a bike fitter..
  • The lad who does the fits is a sponsored rider, won a lot of competitions and does does competitions abroad and finishes on the podium so very experienced and a decent rider. The fit was done a jig and I was videoed and hooked up to a laptop showing pedal stroke and power etc and my hips knees and ankles were laser aligned.

All I would say is that being a fast rider does not automatically qualify you as a bike fitter..

He is a qualified bike fitter sorry I didn't say that. The equipment etc is clearly top end I don't think anyone could walk in and do a fit haha.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Are you stable when pedaling?

A sign of a too high saddle is rocking at the hips when pedaling and pointing feet downwards as you stretch to reach the pedals at the bottom if the stroke. This would quickly give you all kinds if pain. A too low saddle unless very low would just seem less efficient.

Try KOPs for a very rough guide to fore / aft position. What you are also looking for is a good sit bone position on the saddle as you lean into the bike. Too far foward and it feels cramped probably with too much weight on your hands. Too far back and you will keep moving forward on the saddle.

Appart from that your cleet position is another cause.

After changes to a bikes setup it can take a few rides to adapt but it should not be painful or stop you riding the bike. Sounds like you either have an injury or a poor bike fit. If you can put it back the way it was. As part of the bike fit they should have given you your original measurements / settings
  • Are you stable when pedaling?

A sign of a too high saddle is rocking at the hips when pedaling and pointing feet downwards as you stretch to reach the pedals at the bottom if the stroke. This would quickly give you all kinds if pain. A too low saddle unless very low would just seem less efficient.

Try KOPs for a very rough guide to fore / aft position. What you are also looking for is a good sit bone position on the saddle as you lean into the bike. Too far foward and it feels cramped probably with too much weight on your hands. Too far back and you will keep moving forward on the saddle.

Appart from that your cleet position is another cause.

After changes to a bikes setup it can take a few rides to adapt but it should not be painful or stop you riding the bike. Sounds like you either have an injury or a poor bike fit. If you can put it back the way it was. As part of the bike fit they should have given you your original measurements / settings

Thanks for this. I've received a measurement email from the guy but nothing to say if it's my old or new ones so I'll check that tomorrow by measuring my saddle height and using it against the email. My hands do ache quite quickly and I find I'm shuffling on the saddle, kind of either pushing my self toward the back. I'm just going to have to get another fit with someone else I think because there are to many variables which could be causing this.