help with tacx neo and tacx apps

jewbs
jewbs Posts: 139
Hi, I've bought a Tacx neo and have spent today trying to set it up and use it. I downloaded the utility app to my iPad and updated the firmware to the latest one. I have also downloaded the tacx cycling app which took ages to recognise my neo but even though the neo appears under the devices tab it seems its not connected. I cannot do anything on the app. If i click on a link like slope or workout it just tells me no brake connected. I am connecting via bluetooth. The neo doesn't appear in the list of suitable trainers but on the tacx forum it seems others are using it. I then tried downloading the cycling app on my android phone and that too will not find the device via bluetooth.
I am not that computer savvy but how on earth do i connect the neo to make use of it. very frustrating, it also comes with minimal user instructions so no idea what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Hmm - I found it very easy to connect via BT - it does make me wonder if your BT is working on your Neo (I've read of someone else with this issue - is the BT light on?).

Do you have a Garmin or other ANT+ device you can use to see if that finds the Neo?

DC Rainmaker's review I think covers some of the connection methods.

Good luck
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I am hoping i might have solved it!!

I went back on the tacx forum and did some more digging and it mentioned the turbo only can connect to one BT app at a time and to make sure all previous apps are closed and disconnected before opening a new one. I double clicked the button on the iPad to bring up the apps running in the background and swiped close the utility app re-opened the cycling app and there it was connected right away. Tested it out with a 15km hill climb workout and it all seemed to work fine, got harder and easier when it was meant to. So i'm also assuming thats why the android phone couldn't connect either. The blue BT light was on all the time.
    Hopefully solved, i may look at getting a wahoo ant+ key too.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I am hoping i might have solved it!!

I went back on the tacx forum and did some more digging and it mentioned the turbo only can connect to one BT app at a time and to make sure all previous apps are closed and disconnected before opening a new one. I double clicked the button on the iPad to bring up the apps running in the background and swiped close the utility app re-opened the cycling app and there it was connected right away. Tested it out with a 15km hill climb workout and it all seemed to work fine, got harder and easier when it was meant to. So i'm also assuming thats why the android phone couldn't connect either. The blue BT light was on all the time.
    Hopefully solved, i may look at getting a wahoo ant+ key too.

From what I've read and through experience, an Ant connection is the preferred option with these trainers. TrainerRoad requires you to use a special BT dongle and won't recognise the standard 4.0 version.

I've a Galaxy S5 which has Ant pre loaded, have you checked your phone specs?

Also from my experience, Tacx online support is truly awful, so don't hold your breath for a meaningful reply.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Just got a new vortex so will be here asking questions too

But wrt my understanding of BT and ant+, BT is always a one-to-one connection unlike ant+ which broadcasts.

BT is like a phone call, link devcies, whereas ant+ is more like a radio signal, accepted by receiver
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Tacx Smart trainers can only be configured using bluetooth, be that on iPhone or Android. They will quite happily transmit on ANT+ and receive on ANT+FEC after that.
    Just got a new vortex so will be here asking questions too

But wrt my understanding of BT and ant+, BT is always a one-to-one connection unlike ant+ which broadcasts.

BT is like a phone call, link devcies, whereas ant+ is more like a radio signal, accepted by receiver

Pretty much right. Although ANT+ can work two way which is how ANT+ can be used to control the trainers resistance levels.