Odd experience with independent bike shop - BIKE UK

bujalarab
bujalarab Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi to everyone!

I was pretty frustrated with today in shop experience with Bike Uk in Bristol that I felt the need to share it with you.
The story is as follows.
I decided this year to buy a do it all bike and after searching around I said to myself let me give a chance to an independent shop.
I have stopped on Genesis - Croix de Fer 20 and decided to buy it from BIKE UK Bristol.
The preliminary talks I held with DJ who was brilliant, very polite, helpful and dedicated(later to find out that he was the shop manager). I decided with him that when I am ready to buy the bike to announce them and they will bring it for me and I will be able to test it before buying it.
The day comes and this Sunday I go to the shop to test the bike. I dealt this time with Sarah. First thing that hits me with the bike is that one of the fork spacers had a larger outer-diameter, making a very obvious lip with the others. I raise the issue with Sarah and I get the reply something of: "is not such a big issue is just visual". I could not quite believe what I am hearing(as none of the other Genesis displayed had that issue) and decide to ignore the comment and insist for solving the issue until I will buy it next day. She agrees in the end, after a few eye rolling, and take the bike to the test.
The bike behaved good and on my return I asked Sarah that she could ask the mechanics to try to fine tune the shifting as it was very noisy when increasing the gears and also if could ask them, because of a previous negative experience, to make sure that the head set is properly greased. The reply was the mechanics tuned well the bike. Again I find my-self insisting about something that it was not quite right.
Next day I go to the shop, meet again DJ and purchase the bike. He also kindly explains that the mechanics greased very well the headset and that the recent gears sets are indeed noisier until they wear a little(Maybe you could tell me if it's true or not as my other bike bought new at the beginning of the year did not have the problem. It is equipped with Shimano 105 set and genesis has Tiagra).
I took the bike home and next day I was mounting a rack when I notice paint chipping under the seat collar, as someone forced the collar on the tube. I go back to the shop and again meet Sarah. I was reluctant about the meeting but I said "What the heck, it will be alright". It was all only not alright. I explain what is the issue, she takes a look and she starts: "is just a small chip, nothing serious"(even though it reached the primer layer). Hearing that, I am thinking "is this person serious?!" and I stop her, after she said "it would happen sooner or later", and said please do not even bother with this excuses and explained to her the risk for the paint to flake, in time, because of that. Very irritated because I dared stop her she than goes: "we don't even know if it happened in the shop or outside?!". Again my face drops and had to very firmly explain myself that was not the case and I am insisting to have the bike changed.
Anyway the experience left me with 2 questions and an advice for all of you:
Is it become so out of fashion, so bad to actually acknowledge a mistake and try to solve it rather than looking for pathetic, childish excuses and trying to blame the customers?
What is the purpose of talking bombastic bullshit and making background noise when we can convince customers with dignity and respect?
If you go to this shop or any other do check your bike as best as you can and stop listening to childish excuses.
Thank you so much and I will try in a few month to make a review of the Genesis Croix de Fer, after is going to take some miles under the tyres.

All the best to you, safe riding and Happy Christmas!

Comments

• I do apologise for the wrong place to post. If possible could an admin move the post in to the cake shop room, please.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Some people should not be allowed anywhere near bike shops....or the internet...
  • I agree with Sarah
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    a bike shops worst nightmare....
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    If you do make that review...don't put it on here...please!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The problem with posts like this are that you joined the forum today and your very first post is to slag someone off, you'll not get a good reaction from the members here.

What's the betting we never hear from you again...................
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I reckon Sarah has dumped him - just before Christmas too.

Deserves all she gets.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I blame Wiggle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Most shops won't see a post on here. So putting a post on here gives them no right to reply.

They have a Facebook page. They seem quite good at responding to comments, though negative ones are extremely rare it appears. Indeed, their only 1 star review was a mistake and should have been a 4.

If you value getting a response then there would be best. If you just want to create friction for future users then..........well...........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    You just can't win with some people. The spacers would have been fitted by Genesis, so it's not really down to the shop. It's not a big deal, especially if you change things to personalise the set up. But you say they changed that so there is no issue there. Also the paint chip was almost certainly not caused by the shop, the seat collar would have been fitted by Genesis. What would you like the shop to do about it? The most they could do is to touch it up. Did the gears shift ok? I presume so as you don't comment on that.
    I think to come on here and slag a shop off with your first post over trivial items is unreasonable. They are minor issues that are not the fault of the shop.
  • People on here are always moaning about the death of the local shop due to the internet and how you should support your lbs for the great service they give etc etc.

They seem like minor issues here - maybe they could have used their great service to make the customer happy/happier? No one likes chipped paintwork (and yes, it can and does happen in shops sometimes) and I'm sure the mechanics are sick to death of minor issues they would rather not sort...but thats why they are there isn't it? To make the experience more personal than ordering online?

I'll be honest I quickly read the post yesterday and couldn't be arsed re-reading now so the OP might be totally unreasonable...but still, maybe people could just explain the reasons why he is being unreasonable as opposed to personal attacks? I'm pretty sure (not 100%) facebook posts can be deleted if they dont like them so the reviews there don't necessarily mean much.
  • ps. and remember people - its xmas - be nice!! ;)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    People on here are always moaning about the death of the local shop due to the internet and how you should support your lbs for the great service they give etc etc.

They seem like minor issues here - maybe they could have used their great service to make the customer happy/happier? No one likes chipped paintwork (and yes, it can and does happen in shops sometimes) and I'm sure the mechanics are sick to death of minor issues they would rather not sort...but thats why they are there isn't it? To make the experience more personal than ordering online?

I'll be honest I quickly read the post yesterday and couldn't be arsed re-reading now so the OP might be totally unreasonable...but still, maybe people could just explain the reasons why he is being unreasonable as opposed to personal attacks? I'm pretty sure (not 100%) facebook posts can be deleted if they dont like them so the reviews there don't necessarily mean much.

Agree - too many bike shops treat people like dirt - if you paying big money for a bike you deserve the issues mentioned above dealt with , without being made to feel like you are a nuisance.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    You just can't win with some people. The spacers would have been fitted by Genesis, so it's not really down to the shop. It's not a big deal, especially if you change things to personalise the set up. But you say they changed that so there is no issue there. Also the paint chip was almost certainly not caused by the shop, the seat collar would have been fitted by Genesis. What would you like the shop to do about it? The most they could do is to touch it up. Did the gears shift ok? I presume so as you don't comment on that.
    I think to come on here and slag a shop off with your first post over trivial items is unreasonable. They are minor issues that are not the fault of the shop.

Whether trivial or not, his contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer, so it's for the shop to resolve. They were presumably quite happy to take his money.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Whinge whinge whinge.

Can't be arsed to interract on a bike forum but man if I have a bad experience I'm certainly going to tell my side of the story asap...

I suspect you came across as an arse - as you do from your writing. That probably riles the shop people too.

You've had bikes before ? You know they get chipped ? The shop could have offered to cover the chip up but I think they'd already had enough of you.
  • ham76
    ham76 Posts: 26
    Did the shop forget to carry out a Pre-Delivery Inspection ?
    I thought the point of buying a bike from the shop is to receive an added service(value)….Am I wrong ?
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    F me, a small paint chip *under* the seat collar? Christ, that's hardly worth commenting on, let alone attempting to return a bike. A quicdk dab of lacquer and sorted. As for the spacers, no biggie either. I'm not surprised the shop staff rolled their eyes.
  • veronese68
    A lot of it depends on how you ask. If you say you found a small chip in the paint and could they touch it up I very much doubt it would be refused. Likewise with the spacers. If you ask nicely if they could be changed so they all match I doubt it would be refused. Approach it the other way and the shop staff may well get defensive and put up barriers.
    As CookeeeMonster said, everyone be nice.
  • People on here are always moaning about the death of the local shop due to the internet and how you should support your lbs for the great service they give etc etc.

Nah, my wife has a single 1 star review for her dental surgery. "Inconsiderate" it said. Person not even a patient. Then a year later he added to it. Basically someone had blocked him in in the car park while he dropped his kids off. The private car park reserved for staff only. And someone had to be asked to stop treating a patient to move their car to let him out again. We'd love to have deleted it but they stay there.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    A lot of it depends on how you ask. If you say you found a small chip in the paint and could they touch it up I very much doubt it would be refused. Likewise with the spacers. If you ask nicely if they could be changed so they all match I doubt it would be refused. Approach it the other way and the shop staff may well get defensive and put up barriers.
    As CookeeeMonster said, everyone be nice.
    +1.
    This is how I read it. if you engage in conversation and ask in the right way, in all walks of life, you get better service. You can argue the shop should just sort it out however they are spoken too, but we're all human.

Also reading the post it seems that the OP's first language is not English, which might be creating additional communication issues.
  • bet they put a bottle cage on for him though..
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    bet they put a bottle cage on for him though..
    Very good
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Shop should have changed the spacer, simple. I would have expected that. If the chip is invisible under the seat collar then it wont be the first. Paint comes off under seat collars. People in other kinds of shops treat you like shit too. I much prefer the internet for shopping, shops rarely add any value.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bet they put a bottle cage on for him though..

And filled his bottle with water for any test rides that may have occurred.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    OP should do what I did, when I found a couple of chips in the paint on my box fresh CAADX.

Get out and ride it, and forget about it until someone moans on the internet about a similar "problem"
  • So you go and buy a brand new car and it is delivered with a chip on the paintwork the gears dont mesh correctly and you think thats ok ?
    Me thinks , not so .
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Awwww, the DRAMA !
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I notice that the OP has buggered off. What a surprise...
  • veronese68
    So you go and buy a brand new car and it is delivered with a chip on the paintwork the gears dont mesh correctly and you think thats ok ?
    Me thinks , not so .
    Not quite. You buy a new car and find a chip inside the boot lid that cannot be seen and the gears mesh but the box is noisier than you expected. Talk to the dealer nicely and they will touch in the chip and double check the gearbox, not unreasonable.
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    SLR021
    SLRO21

Your are on a ban, please refrain from making more duplicate accounts, posts and quoting posts have been removed from the site.If you want to talk things over contact me at the admin address and maybe we can come to some kind of arrangement, as things clearly aren't working out for us or you at the moment.
    BikeRadar Community