Who misses their summer bike?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in Road general
I haven't ridden my 'proper' bike for quite a few weeks now and was really missing it. I've focused on my winter bike lately and have been fettling it to get a few more years out of it.

Anyway, I decided to check up on the summer bike and gave her a good clean, checked the gear indexing, pumped up the tyres and so on. As it was sunny outside for a few minutes I thought I'd go for a test ride and boy what fun it was!

It also gave me an opportunity to get familiar with cleats and unclipping again.

I can't wait for the summer next year!

Comments

• What's a summer bike :|
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • What's a summer bike :|

That would be the bike that cost 10 times your commuter and does a quarter the milage......hmmmm ..something wrong with that equation somewhere!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    well i was so i rode it on Saturday

big mistake i picked up a puncture for my efforts and more mud than your average miner, seriously i've cleaned it twice and it still looks filthy

back to the winter bike

:evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    ??

I use my best "hi-mod" carbon fibre bike all year around, with very few exceptions.

Cant find any reason to use my old aluminium bike, which is set up as my "wet bike", but in reality never gets used.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I don't because i am still riding it. There has not really been any bad weather to speak of over here.
  • I have a commuter bike and a longer distance bike. Commuter bike (fixed) generally good unto 100km long distance bike will go further. both have mudguards, etc as necessary. I think summer/winter is a false differentiation
  • rumbataz
    I just class my summer bike as the one I ride in nice weather (no rain) and during sunny days. The winter bike is a heavy old tough thing that can take a lot more punishment and has mudguards fitted so that's used over the winter months and rainy days. Plus, it's the bike that I wouldn't be bothered about breaking!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860
    Miss mine :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nope, I see it every day.
    Missing summer, but not my summer bike.

Thats the whole point of a winter bike isn't it? To love that your summer bike is safe and dry at home :wink:
  • Anonymous
    What's a summer bike :|

That would be the bike that cost 10 times your commuter and does a quarter the milage......hmmmm ..something wrong with that equation somewhere!

Not sure how that milage would work out, but nothing wrong even if it did :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I can barely remember what summer is, did we have one this year?
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Don't people use their summer bikes on their turbo trainers?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    It's the first winter where I'm doing as much weekly mileage as the summer and it's the first time I've considered a winters bike as it's certainly taking a hammering.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous

You use the Turbo bike for that silly :wink:

I certainly would not bolt my best bike to a turbo.
  • One of the reasons that I don't use the Foil in Winter is that it has olde worlde rim brakes that perform the double whammy of forgetting that, rather than machine material off my rims, they're meant to stop me. I certainly used my best bike during my Scottish winter commutes - at least until the ice arrived - as it has disc brakes too. In fact, when I finally live and work in the same place, the Foil will be first against the wall. The good news is that you don't need brakes on the turbo so, if the ice ever arrives down south, the Foil will be fine for that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860

You use the Turbo bike for that silly :wink:

I certainly would not bolt my best bike to a turbo.

No separate bike for the turbo, one for the rollers though
  • I can barely remember what summer is, did we have one this year?

We're in summer. 16 degrees and wet. That's a pretty normal summer isn't it?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I can barely remember what summer is, did we have one this year?

We're in summer. 16 degrees and wet. That's a pretty normal summer isn't it?
    It's like summer, just a bit windier.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I had never really considered the concept of a ‘winter bike’ until I made an impulse purchase of a new Synapse Carbon Ultegra earlier this year (I had previously visited a mate in France and ridden his 105 version over a distance and thought it very good). I was then left with a less than a 12 month old Allez in the shed which I knew would not fetch any decent money if I tried to sell it. Rather than just leave it doing nothing, I decided to put some mudguards on it and use it over the winter on the basis that I would rather shag the life out of that in the wet and muddy road conditions in my area than the Synapse.

I still think the Allez is a very good bike and would recommend one to anybody looking for a ‘starter’ road bike but it is just nowhere near as good as the Synapse in any department (which I am very pleased about as it cost twice as much!). The Synapse is quicker all round, has slicker gearing and is generally a more comfortable ride. All that is a long winded way to say a resounding ‘yes, I do miss my summer bike’.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Not really.

Did 50 miles on my winter bike on Sunday and it rained for 30 of them. Yesterday it was raining that hard on the commute home the man-hole covers were being lifted off by the water gushing out of the road.

I was glad of the full mudguards on both my winter bike and commuter.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm happy enough with my winter bike. Full guards and lights on it. I needed them on Sunday - even though it didnt rain on me - there was enough water in the lanes to have messed me up completely.

Why the summer pedals though ? What pedals do you use in the winter ?
  • rumbataz
    I use flats in the winter. SDP-SL pedals for the summer. It's just too damp and slippery to risk being clipped in during damp conditions.
  • I use flats in the winter. SDP-SL pedals for the summer. It's just too damp and slippery to risk being clipped in during damp conditions.

road flats? I like flats on the MTBs and have some on the CX bike, but these are MTB flats which stick to your shoes.

Roadie flats in my experience you could slip and slide over the platform once wet very easily, I found SPD much more secure, when I had a full roadie rather than the CX bike.
  • rumbataz
    Only my hybrid I've got Wellgo MG1 pedals now and the grip from them is very good. I can use my gym trainers with them and they haven't slipped at all yet. I actually have to lift my foot off the pedal to reposition it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How often are you slipping in the damp and slippery conditions to need to take your feet off the pedals ?

I don't think I've ridden not clipped in since the 80's - through all weathers.
  • Anonymous
    One advantage of having a properly decent first bike is that when it becomes your winter bike you still enjoy riding it and do not long to be on your best bike.

Or just buy a decent winter bike.
    You need to enjoy riding all year :wink:
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    what is a summer bike? in all my years riding I have never seen a summer bike.none of my LBS have a summer bike section nor do any of the popular online bike shops.I'd be obliged if someone could describe one to me :D
  • what is a summer bike? in all my years riding I have never seen a summer bike.none of my LBS have a summer bike section nor do any of the popular online bike shops.I'd be obliged if someone could describe one to me :D

In the car world it would be called a trailer queen. It's a bike that the owner is worried will melt/dissolve/corrode to dust if it gets wet or dirty.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Loving my winter bike with mudguards, hydro discs, tubeless quite light just try not to look at it too much as it is a little fugly. I give you the GT Grade Ultegra.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    what is a summer bike? in all my years riding I have never seen a summer bike.none of my LBS have a summer bike section nor do any of the popular online bike shops.I'd be obliged if someone could describe one to me :D

I'd say a winter bike is one which you can afford to ride during the wet/muddy/icy weather without being too bothered what the weather is actually doing to the bike. What it actually means in terms of bikes cannot be defined as it is very dependent on ones individual circumstances, for instance some people will ride a "winter bike" which is far superior to one which most of us would consider our best bike. Others get by with using their old "summer" bike, bunging mudguards on and putting it to winter duties. Others will buy what are often touted as "winter trainers", often alloy frames, mudguard eyes etc etc. Given what I've just said I'd say a "winter bike" is anything that can take or be made to take mudguards, so maybe "wet bike" & "dry bike" would be better definitions. Likewise a best bike is whatever you want it to be (however I recon most people would say their "best bike" is the one which cost the most).
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )