Blind FTP test?

jjarz72
jjarz72 Posts: 6
I'm in the midst of a TrainerRoad base-build-specialty program for 28 weeks, getting ready to finish one block and kick off another with an 8-minute FTP test.

I'm new to this type of focused training - this will be just my 3rd FTP test. Last go around i had an idea of what my FTP was and kept a constant eye on my wattage. My objective was pacing and trying to make sure i at least matched my results from the first go around.

From what i have read it appears you should go for broke during these tests. Any recommendations on stat usage? Should i keep my eyes off the head unit, put my head down & gut it out, purposefully not bench-marking (and perhaps hindering my results?) Or do most people get a feel for their fitness and use the data accordingly?

Comments

• Personally I find it better to tune out all the stats and I look at the clock as little as possible also. I found I was targeting an outcome rather than finding out what I could achieve when I looked at the data
  • While it can be argued that having the power displayed in front of you will make you aim for a certain power I don't find that's a problem for me on a 20 minute test. I've done a few of these now so I know what my CP 20 is / was, I find having the power displayed helps ensure I don't go off too quickly and ruin the test.

Assuming I know there will (hopefully) be improvement from last test, I'll normally bring the power up in the first 5 minutes to just over last test (maybe as little as 2-3W), aim to increase slightly next 5 minutes, maintain for next 5 minutes, then for the last 5 minutes see what's in the tank, this normally means maintain for 2 minutes then, think of going all out, think a bit more...... then with 2 minutes to go obliterate myself. Then collapse.

Seems to work.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I do a 20min test rather than 8mins.
    My approach is pretty much the same as Supermurph's, ie set a target based on experience, build to it in the first five minutes, hold on during the middle and then hammer in the last five minutes to (hopefully) beat the target by as big a margin as possible.
    Experience certainly helps to do the test well, so maybe do reasonably frequently if you are new to it, eg once every 3 weeks.
    I also find the distraction of a suitably motivating video helps. I use Sufferfest's Rubber Glove. I have used this video plenty of times, but have no idea what happens in the last 5 minutes of the all out section!
  • You should also remember the need to be fresh and have everything setup the same each time to replicate the conditions.
  • Hi why don't you try an FTP with and without view of the data on screen. Personally I find seeing the watts; ave watts, cadence useful during the test (as well as time of course) wiht one exception.....when you are underpeforming by some margin or the powermeter is underreporting then I find it hard to finish seeing the low readings. I would expect in a series of tests people riding seeing power would on average produce slightly more watts in their FTP than those riding without. If the reverse were the case everyone incl the pros would be riding blind.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I do a test blind to on the road in the dark. I simply ride on feel and it is quite consistant. 20 minutes test is what I do. I don't mind seeing the numbers but at the moment it is blind as it is dark on the way home.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • You should also remember the need to be fresh and have everything setup the same each time to replicate the conditions.

Great advice IMHO.

I do a test every three months, Same freshness, same lead up, same time of day. I always have the data in front of me. I am sure that if I did not, I would wimp out earlier.

I guess if you train based on perceived exertion you might as well test blind, i.e. that way as well. However, if you train with a pm or hrm then test that way.

I have done the 20 minute test, the two times 8 minute, and the wattbike three minute. All ftp estimates were very close, so I guess that I have no exeptional talent for either sprinting or climbing. Basically, I am a very old Sagan. :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You need to be fresh but you need to pace the first half. Then go for broke!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    What % do you take off for the 3 minute test out of interest?
  • tanot
    tanot Posts: 1
    Assuming I know there will (hopefully) be improvement from last test, I'll normally bring the power up in the first 5 minutes to just over last test (maybe as little as 2-3W), aim to increase slightly next 5 minutes, maintain for next 5 minutes, then for the last 5 minutes see what's in the tank, this normally means maintain for 2 minutes then, think of going all out, think a bit more...... then with 2 minutes to go obliterate myself. Then collapse.

Seems to work.

A few people in this thread have said about going all out for the last few minutes in a 20 min test but that goes against a lot of stuff I've read where people say you should follow a consistent pace throughout the 20 minutes or you will skew the results (due to anaerobic power). Here is TrainerRoad's view on it:

http://blog.trainerroad.com/ftp-assessment-tips

Specifically "Challenge 3".

Who is right?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471

Seems to work.

A few people in this thread have said about going all out for the last few minutes in a 20 min test but that goes against a lot of stuff I've read where people say you should follow a consistent pace throughout the 20 minutes or you will skew the results (due to anaerobic power). Here is TrainerRoad's view on it:

http://blog.trainerroad.com/ftp-assessment-tips

Specifically "Challenge 3".

Who is right?

Obliterating oneself does not necessarily meaning upping the power, more likely it'll mean holding on! By that I mean 300W will feel harder after 15 minutes than it does after 15 seconds.

Take my latest FTP for example: https://www.strava.com/activities/443795166/analysis/1328/2527

Outputs are approx..
    First 5 minutes: 298W
    2nd: 305W
    3rd: 300W
    4th: 296W - This last 5 minutes had a dip with 2 minutes @ 288W, the last 30s was about 310W.

Overall 301W, so not a huge fluctuation.