painful balls of feet after cycling 30+ miles

daffyavfc
daffyavfc Posts: 237
Hi all,

I'm experience pain and partial numbness around the toes and balls of my feet after cycling 30+ miles.
They are not cold, two pairs of socks and overshoes today on a mild ride. Find I have to take feet out of cleats and shake them a little to alleviate the discomfort.
The three velcro straps are as loose as possible without allowing shoes to come off. They are slightly oversized, I'm a 45 and wear a specialized BG 46 which give ample room for two pairs of socks in the cold.

The rest of my feet are fine.

any thoughts?

thanks

daffyavfc

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You have badly fitted shoes.
  • concur, wear one thin pair of cycling socks in a properly fitting shoe, get custom insoles to alleviate numbness if still necessary. Use good overshoes to keep warm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Has this just started to happen ? I have the Spesh BG shoes and they are very comfy for me.

If the shoe isnt too cramped = and thats what normally happens - have you tried tightening it to see what that does ?

(And if its mild - do you really need two pairs of socks AND overshoes ?)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like my feet when I was wearing too thick a sock in my new walking boots. Your shoes may not feel tight initially, but your feet need to be able to spread a little bit as you put weight on them, and your feet swell when they get hotter.

Try it with a single pair of socks plus the overshoes.

My standard winter cycling footwear consists of Woolie Boolie socks, some very old Nike SPD touring shoes and a pair of neoprene Planet X overshoes. More pairs of socks = colder feet / numb toes.
  • Hi,

in response to your points which I'm grateful of.
    a size 45 in BG are too tight but the 46 had more room in so that's why I wore two pairs of sock, for a better fit. I get cold feet which was another reason I thought would help. I got the BG as a present in a 45 and swapped them for next size up.

I see your point Keef about the socks, and Fenix it probably was a bit OTT but you never know what this weather will bring :)

I'll take your advice with the socks before I go for a costly option of changing shoes, though there are some good deals out ATM.

thanks for your help