Test rode a Trek Emonda SL8 today...

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why did you need the bottle cage taking off?

To put on the test bike so I could take a drink with me...

For an hour's ride?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742

For an hour's ride?

Yes for an hour, I needed a drink after the 15 minute test ride let alone an hour. If you're not taking any fluids on in an hour of riding I would suggest you have a rethink to be honest.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Seriously? You needed a drink after 15 minutes of moderate exercise?

There is always a bit of a disagreement about food/hydration with some folks getting through loads and others who can apparently go for a month with just a dried biscuit but if you need a drink that quickly you might want to look at your general hydration levels.
  • Getting a bit off topic but being a runner and cyclist i wouldn't bother worrying about taking on a drink on an hours test ride. Most of my training runs are 2 hours+ and carrying fluids isn't practical. I guess it's what your body gets used to but 15 minutes is a touch early :?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Seriously? You needed a drink after 15 minutes of moderate exercise?

There is always a bit of a disagreement about food/hydration with some folks getting through loads and others who can apparently go for a month with just a dried biscuit but if you need a drink that quickly you might want to look at your general hydration levels.

Exactly - I commute over an hour to work and haven't had a bottle in the cage since the summer, a glass of juice before setting off and a drink when I get to work is perfectly adequate. And it's not a leisure ride either, plenty of hills and quick flats to get a sweat on.

Anyway, back to topic - the last bike I got from Evans they let me take out for about 15-20 minutes, I wouldn't have dreamed of asking for an hours test ride. Other LBS's may do that, but none I know of. A large place near me (Wheelbase - allegedly the largest bike shop in the country) pretty much just allow you to take a bike for a spin around the car park - but they DO have an occasional road bike testing day where they organise a local route and you can book a bike to test on that route). If you have been granted an hours test ride by Evans in the past, I would consider that a 'perk' over and above the normal policy.

You should also bear in mind the Evans 'Right Bike Guarantee', they will let you return any bike within 30 days, no questions asked (or so they say), as long as it's not overly worn or damaged.
  • dstev55
    Can't believe it's even been brought up how long I am riding before needing a drink. If I need a drink then I need a bloody drink, whether this is after 5 minutes or 5 days does it really matter? This forum can be so pedantic sometimes.
  • dstev55
    Seriously? You needed a drink after 15 minutes of moderate exercise?

Exactly - I commute over an hour to work and haven't had a bottle in the cage since the summer, a glass of juice before setting off and a drink when I get to work is perfectly adequate. And it's not a leisure ride either, plenty of hills and quick flats to get a sweat on.

Anyway, back to topic - the last bike I got from Evans they let me take out for about 15-20 minutes, I wouldn't have dreamed of asking for an hours test ride. Other LBS's may do that, but none I know of. A large place near me (Wheelbase - allegedly the largest bike shop in the country) pretty much just allow you to take a bike for a spin around the car park - but they DO have an occasional road bike testing day where they organise a local route and you can book a bike to test on that route). If you have been granted an hours test ride by Evans in the past, I would consider that a 'perk' over and above the normal policy.

You should also bear in mind the Evans 'Right Bike Guarantee', they will let you return any bike within 30 days, no questions asked (or so they say), as long as it's not overly worn or damaged.

I get why they can't do it, it was just frustrating to have ridden in to Nottingham under the impression I would be going out on it for an hour to be told i could only go out for 10-15 minutes.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Can't believe it's even been brought up how long I am riding before needing a drink. If I need a drink then I need a bloody drink, whether this is after 5 minutes or 5 days does it really matter? This forum can be so pedantic sometimes.
    Were you wearing a helmet?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's unnatural to need a drink after that. Have you been tested for diabetes ?

I run half marathons with no water (and that's a bit longer than an hour - sadly).

Yesterday I did a few hours on the bike outside and didnt take any of my drink. It wasn't that warm outside.

Contrary to the Lucozade ads - the body can cope very well with a degree of dehydration. It's over hydration that kills you.
  • Matthewfalle

For an hour's ride?

Yes for an hour, I needed a drink after the 15 minute test ride let alone an hour. If you're not taking any fluids on in an hour of riding I would suggest you have a rethink to be honest.

As a medical man, I would also agree that if you need a drink after an hour of very moderate exercise (indeed, the first 15 minutes will have been spent pottering, getting the feel of the bike) then yup, you need to get something tested.

Actually a tad worrying to tell the truth - when was the last time you had a MOT at the doctor?

As you can see by the responses here to, it seems common consent that you don't really need to take on fluids after an hour of moderate exercise - I tend to do a good couples of hours training ride (zone 3/4) without needing fluids.

Please don't shout at me either - it was just an enquiry.

Many thanks and best regards

m

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I'm starting to think the OP may wish he asked a rather more closed question than "any thoughts?"
  • I'm starting to think the OP may wish he had just flipped a coin
    FTFY.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Nobody needs a drink after 15 minutes of riding correct. You probably wont die. But.... If you want a drink ...its nice to have one with you. If you set off and hit a climb within 5 minutes and the climb last 10 minutes. It is perfectly OK to have a refreshing sip of liquid at the top whether your hydrated or dehydrated or neither. Call it a mental boost or a treat to yourself for your effort. Nothing wrong with taking a drink on a 15 miniute ride. I take a drink with me on a 10 minute ride to the post office. I would also never ride over an hour without a full bottle. Ignore fenix and Matthewfalle they are talking out of their bumz. Why anybody would call you out on that i have no idea. :roll:

er.... don't buy that white Emonda it's minging. :)
  • Nobody needs a drink after 15 minutes of riding correct. You probably wont die. But.... If you want a drink ...its nice to have one with you. If you set off and hit a climb within 5 minutes and the climb last 10 minutes. It is perfectly OK to have a refreshing sip of liquid at the top whether your hydrated or dehydrated or neither. Call it a mental boost or a treat to yourself for your effort. Nothing wrong with taking a drink on a 15 miniute ride. I take a drink with me on a 10 minute ride to the post office. I would also never ride over an hour without a full bottle. Ignore fenix and Matthewfalle they are talking out of their bumz. Why anybody would call you out on that i have no idea. :roll:

it's a test ride in the north of England, in December, not a tour stage in July. He could have a drink before and after so no biggie.
    The only real question is whether the cage and bottle matched the bike?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    it's a test ride in the north of England, in December

Exactly. Colder,dryer air in the winter = dry mouth = more desire to drink. :lol:
  • Can't believe it's even been brought up how long I am riding before needing a drink. If I need a drink then I need a bloody drink, whether this is after 5 minutes or 5 days does it really matter? This forum can be so pedantic sometimes.
    Were you wearing a helmet?

This needs an answer.

Does Evans insist on a helmet? I would hope that they would allow (and even encourage) free thinking in their stores - they shouldn't be bullied by "studies" and "government advice" and let natural selection take it's course.
  • dstev55
    Nobody needs a drink after 15 minutes of riding correct. You probably wont die. But.... If you want a drink ...its nice to have one with you. If you set off and hit a climb within 5 minutes and the climb last 10 minutes. It is perfectly OK to have a refreshing sip of liquid at the top whether your hydrated or dehydrated or neither. Call it a mental boost or a treat to yourself for your effort. Nothing wrong with taking a drink on a 15 miniute ride. I take a drink with me on a 10 minute ride to the post office. I would also never ride over an hour without a full bottle. Ignore fenix and Matthewfalle they are talking out of their bumz. Why anybody would call you out on that i have no idea. :roll:

Well thank goodness somebody with an ounce of common sense has decided to join in!

What started as me asking for opinions on a potential new bike quickly turned in to me having diabetes because I like to have a drink of water at least once an hour when cycling!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    What's all this about the North of England, I thought Nottingham was in the East Midlands.
  • dstev55
    What's all this about the North of England, I thought Nottingham was in the East Midlands.

Must be a "proper" southerner - anywhere above London is probably classed as Northern :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    what was the drink by the way - normal water of cycle specific?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Newkie Brown if proper up north.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    what was the drink by the way - normal water of cycle specific?
    My guess is Hi-5 or similar.
    Probably needed gels for the hour too.
    Some people are a marketing man's dream.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    Don't forget the box of jelly babies and a malt loaf.
  • Matthewfalle
    Strava as well?

Freshly washed club kit just for the occasion?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dstev55
    You all seem very interested in me and my cycling. Would you like me to post a biography of my achievements in life to date? Or maybe my medical history, just so you can assess whether I actually have diabetes that little bit better? Or maybe even how many times I went to the toilet in the past 24 hours, just to make sure I haven't got any other underlying conditions?

Or maybe, just maybe......

.....you could just get on with your own boring lives without trying to put down other people.
  • ballysmate
    Apart from the unquenchable thirst, you seem to be afflicted by mood swings now.
    Another symptom ?
    What colour is your urine btw?

urine-color-chart-7.png
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    If they won't let you use a bottle cage then you could use a camelbak?
  • Matthewfalle
    Or you could stop at a local shop, tea room, post office (with attached shop), public house or even grab a drink from somewhere like a petrol station.

You could also grab a snack while you are there - it's also vitally important to eat as well as drink during arduous or extreme activity.

as an aside, do you go to the toilet often?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Alternatively set up feed stations along the route.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Alternatively set up feed stations along the route.

But if the Signage was sabotaged by local protesters, and you got lost, one of these would come in handy

WATSON_00003872-066-630x420.jpg