Going Tubeless - Slime Pro vs Stans - my experience.

WhyteSky
WhyteSky Posts: 70
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Apologies, this is an unnecessarily long post but I just thought I'd share my experience on going tubeless for anyone else who is considering it.

I'd been meaning to go tubeless for some time now but just never got round to do it.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was working away and popped in to a LBS for a little nose around (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this) and spotted a tubeless kit on offer for £25 - usual price £50 apparently. It was a slime pro kit complete with 1" gorilla tape, 2 tubeless valves, 2 CO2 cartridges and a CO2 inflator head.

Unlike the Stans kit which includes rim strips to convert non tubeless rims, the Slime Pro kit is only suitable for tubeless ready rims. As I have Stans Crest rims I thought I'd give the kit a whirl.

Anyway, I fitted the Gorilla tape to the rims, fitted the valves, fitted the tyres and blew 'em up nice and quick with my Joe Blow. Then deflated them, added the Slime Pro sealant and blew em up nice and quick again, popping the beads back onto the rims.

As per the instructions I gave them a bounce, a spin, a whirl and a shuffle, repeating the process several times to ensure good internal sealant coverage.

Well the next morning the tyres were completely deflated so I reinflated and repeated the dance with my wheels. They still deflated and after persevering a couple more times I decided to give up and bought some Stans rim tape and Stans sealant instead.

First attempt - complete success. I've barely lost any pressure from either tyre since.

I think there were a couple of issues with the Slime Pro kit. First one is that the Gorilla tape is a lot thicker than the Stans tape and I think is more difficult to fit straight. Therefore, I think I may have compromised the bead seat in the rim when I was fitting the tape. I was getting sealant bubbling out of a couple of spoke holes and from around the valve stems.

However, regardless of whether or not I fitted the tape correctly, I think the sealant is inferior to the Stans sealant. I have a Specialzed Purgatory 2Bliss tyre on the rear which has incredibly thin and porous side walls and the Slime Pro sealant just kept weeping out of the sidewalls. The Stans sealant sealed the same tyre almost instantly.

Whether I'm imagining it or not I don't know but I can't help but feel my bike is so much more responsive since I went tubeless. Acceleration is easier, maintaining speed on flat ground is less effort and going up hill, well, let's just say I seem to be walking less! Could it be placebo? Who knows but it feels better to me.

So, that's my experience with going tubeless. I just thought I'd put it out there in case there's anyone considering it but unsure which kit to use. I appreciate there are other kits out there but of the two kits I tried I'd definately recommend Stans over the Slime Pro kit. In fact, I'd go as far as to say if you're considering going tubeless with the Slime Pro, just stick with tubes!

Incidentally, although the Slime Pro kit cost me £25, it wasn't a complete waste of money. For a start, it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to go tubelss. Secondly, it included tubeless valve stems and I'm now also the proud owner of a couple of CO2 cartridges and a micro inflator which I'm sure I'll find useful one day on the trails.

Comments