Pina's old place Sunday thread

tlw1
tlw1 Posts: 21,869
edited December 2015 in The bottom bracket
I'm off to sunny Bridgnorth (ish) for lunch today with the wife crazy sister & her husband - to ensure I plan nice the wife has said cycle there - which will be hard work as I catch the end of storm Desmond tutti fruity

Later will be the pub to dissect the day and organise next Saturday's beers and bikes for the cycling club. But first is a second coat of paint on some wardrobes and wash the exceptionally dirty cars

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm first having my first moka pot of the day before I go riding. It's quite windy outside so I may just sit in the driveway pedaling furiously and going nowhere.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    club ride, a bit of shopping this afternoon with my daughter and then I'm in the kitchen cooking

Bike squared away
    Beers in the fridge

Top day. :D
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Hole to measure for a tumble dryer, window to measure for curtains, bikes to transport, bed to dismantle, new bed to build, stuff to dump, stuff to move

Might get out for a wee ride on a bicycle... Dunno :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Taking the Isetta down to the classic car meeting at the beach this morning, it's lovely and cloudy so better for takin' photos :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    wet, windy, slimy.

What an excellent ride and some great gossiping.

Now for coffee, ablutions and a quick trip to the dump.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Have a pint for me whilst you're there TLW.

Today will be mowstly looking after Toots No.1, feeling sorry for myself and coughing my guts up. Totally banjaxed.
    It's a beautiful morning here and all I can do is look at it. Post Desmond cabin fever blues...

Wahey Nexxus ya jointy - What about ye this grand mornin'? what get's you here and where's you at?
    If you go for a dander to the sea shore, grab yersel' a poke, jump up and down a bit waving yer arms and I just might see you across the water there boi.

Signed
    The Kilty-caul-bum

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Have a pint for me whilst you're there TLW.

Today will be mowstly looking after Toots No.1, feeling sorry for myself and coughing my guts up. Totally banjaxed.
    It's a beautiful morning here and all I can do is look at it. Post Desmond cabin fever blues...

Wahey Nexxus ya jointy - What about ye this grand mornin'? what get's you here and where's you at?
    If you go for a dander to the sea shore, grab yersel' a poke, jump up and down a bit waving yer arms and I just might see you across the water there boi.

Signed
    The Kilty-caul-bum

Laters.
    You might lol, my new house is at the Harbour :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496
    Afternoon tarmac lovers,

Been out to the dump with a car load of junk, got supplies and free coffee, ogled Waitrose Sunday girls and took the hound out for a walk/run to tire the bugger out. And it worked so I can surf the interweb for a bit :) This afternoon will be packing all my junk for the end of week Wales trip. I suspect this one will be a bit soggy but there's no backing out of the Christmas gravity fest.

Pinno, have you not been made homeless by the storms? Or at least had a power cut to keep you off here :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Pinno, have you not been made homeless by the storms? Or at least had a power cut to keep you off here :P

Unfortunately for you, no. Bum luck eh?

We extract the methane off the dung piles for energy and lighting. We also live at the top of a hill. Well, it used to be, it's now an island.
  • Stevo_666

Unfortunately for you, no. Bum luck eh?

We extract the methane off the dung piles for energy and lighting. We also live at the top of a hill. Well, it used to be, it's now an island.
    Looking on the bright side, you're less likely to head down South if you still have a home and power :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Not heard the word banjaxed used for eons and that was the very same word I was using this morning after having to go around a traffic island again to pick my sunglasses up and the rest of the group not noticing - about two miles into a headwind until they realised and let up!

And despite wheel sucking the rest of the way round the sixty miles and am now totally banjaxed.

Hiding away whilst the rest of the family put up Christmas decorations - why no early Sky game when you need one?
  • Matthewfalle
    Not heard the word banjaxed used for eons and that was the very same word I was using this morning after having to go around a traffic island again to pick my sunglasses up and the rest of the group not noticing - about two miles into a headwind until they realised and let up?

Clubs eh - don't you just love the way they watch out for each other and aren't stuck up their own arses all thinking they are "Cav" or "G" at all........

Talking of which - passed 3 large group rides today - maybe 30 people per group. No one, but none was talking to each other or smiling. Getting a reciprocal wave, cheery "morning" or anything out of them was impossible.

Which beggars the question why? They all can't be so serious professionals can they?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Not heard the word banjaxed used for eons and that was the very same word I was using this morning after having to go around a traffic island again to pick my sunglasses up and the rest of the group not noticing - about two miles into a headwind until they realised and let up?

Clubs eh - don't you just love the way they watch out for each other and aren't stuck up their own arses all thinking they are "Cav" or "G" at all........

Talking of which - passed 3 large group rides today - maybe 30 people per group. No one, but none was talking to each other or smiling. Getting a reciprocal wave, cheery "morning" or anything out of them was impossible.

Which beggars the question why? They all can't be so serious professionals can they?

Roadie speak for this ^ type: 'Crusts'.
  • Matthewfalle

Roadie speak for this ^ type: 'Crusts'.

One or two of them, yup.

But tens of the blighters?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Not heard the word banjaxed used for eons and that was the very same word I was using this morning after having to go around a traffic island again to pick my sunglasses up and the rest of the group not noticing - about two miles into a headwind until they realised and let up?

I might have overplayed it for slight dramatic effect :oops: . To be fair our "club" is very much a social one and normally everyone is looked after on rides, they just don't like me very much :shock:
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Afternoon gents and things. Quick Morning 60 with the club can't say I came back feeling happy but always better to have been out than regret missing the miles. Skipped the cafe stop as it was a short ride. New jacket worked wonders in the wet and qith the temp drop.

Got the football on n the date just brought me a brew. Bonus of the weekend was my free pair of gp4000ii s. Thought I'd received the wrong order but no just stuff has been added. Also looking at ski holidays
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Matthewfalle

I might have overplayed it for slight dramatic effect :oops: . To be fair our "club" is very much a social one and normally everyone is looked after on rides, they just don't like me very much :shock:

That as maybe, I must admit that I still don't understand the attraction of riding with a bunch of people who don't smile and seem intent on not enjoying themselves.

When I were doing Commonwealth stuff years ago (when men were men and all that), I was invited to ride with a local club. 30 people turned up who were regulars, then me and one other dude - I suppose the newbies of the group.

No one spoke to us at all - not a word, a smile, nowt. They didn't even seem to speak to each other, which was tad strange.

Naturally me and other new dude made our own conversation, bit of a laugh, that sort of thing.

35 miles into the ride I thought bugger this and went home. Bear in mind that they were looking for new members and had actually invited me along, I was quietly bemused.

Seems to be a club thing really........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Ride with me in a club and as long as you put your effort in I'll be happy but you get a lot of shit talking banter and/or general gossip / other chat on my rides. Only time it's silent is if me or one or two others have decided to make it a hard ride, then if we hear talking we turn it up a notch as it's obviously still too casual
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Not heard the word banjaxed used for eons and that was the very same word I was using this morning after having to go around a traffic island again to pick my sunglasses up and the rest of the group not noticing - about two miles into a headwind until they realised and let up?

That as maybe, I must admit that I still don't understand the attraction of riding with a bunch of people who don't smile and seem intent on not enjoying themselves.

When I were doing Commonwealth stuff years ago (when men were men and all that), I was invited to ride with a local club. 30 people turned up who were regulars, then me and one other dude - I suppose the newbies of the group.

No one spoke to us at all - not a word, a smile, nowt. They didn't even seem to speak to each other, which was tad strange.

Naturally me and other new dude made our own conversation, bit of a laugh, that sort of thing.

35 miles into the ride I thought bugger this and went home. Bear in mind that they were looking for new members and had actually invited me along, I was quietly bemused.

Seems to be a club thing really........

As I said we are very much a social club, every ride starts at the pub and amazingly finishes at the pub, no fees, no committees, pick and choose your rides/group you go out with. Tend to mix my rides 50/50 group and solo which works for me.
  • pinno
    Clubs are like a lottery. When there was the wheelers here, it was a great club. Had so much fun. Went down south and 2 out of 3 were like a wake on bikes. Never fitted in. The exception was Evesham Wheelers CC who deserve a thumbs up.
    Group outings are only as good as the group.

Must stir the Arborio rice and milk...
  • Matthewfalle
    Ride with me in a club and as long as you put your effort in I'll be happy but you get a lot of shoot talking banter and/or general gossip / other chat on my rides. Only time it's silent is if me or one or two others have decided to make it a hard ride, then if we hear talking we turn it up a notch as it's obviously still too casual

What if someone like me is far faster than you and can still talk and smile and laugh when you are going flat out?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Ride with me in a club and as long as you put your effort in I'll be happy but you get a lot of shoot talking banter and/or general gossip / other chat on my rides. Only time it's silent is if me or one or two others have decided to make it a hard ride, then if we hear talking we turn it up a notch as it's obviously still too casual

What if someone like me is far faster than you and can still talk and smile and laugh when you are going flat out?

Now that's a challenge. Prace your bets now, many gambring opportunities...
  • Flâneur
    then I would ask why aren't you at the front
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Matthewfalle

Because I'm chatting to people, helping them with their training, motivativating, havin' a laugh while still being faster than you. Because at that moment in time that's what I'm doing.

Then if it's a proper training ride we're proper trainin' and riding faster than you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Did Flaneur tell you he did his 60 miles on one leg on a fixie with 6 breeze blocks in his saddle bag and using his d1ck to jam in between the forks for a front brake?
  • Matthewfalle
    Did Flaneur tell you he did his 60 miles on one leg on a fixie with 6 breeze blocks in his saddle bag and using his d1ck to jam in between the forks for a front brake?

I did 61 miles on a bike with no wheels with one pedal and no legs with 7 breeze blocks in 2 saddle bags while using someone else's penis to jam in the forks.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur

Because I'm talking at people, pretending I know how to help them with their training, annoying, being laughed at while still being slower than you. Because at that moment in time that's what I'm doing.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno requested a picture of my sister's norks to calm you two down, will Michelle bass do?

150850_1.jpg
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Bloody hell, this thread sounds like the roadie version of this.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I always take the view I'm slow and invariably if someone is quicker that's cool too.

I'm bored with zone 2 rides three times a week. I set off and return in the dark with an illuminated Garmin screen to engage with and I'm approaching the half way point with the base building.

Sunday is a more social occasion, a destination which serves freshly ground coffee and serves decent cake. As its winter it's only the quick riders who turn up but no one gets left and the banter is always entertaining.

until this year club membership didn't appeal which was until I tried the local club, an invite for a century ride, I was the weakest in the group of a dozen riders but they looked after me and it was one of the best days out I've had on a road bike.

I guess it's about the members and ethics of the club.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu