Rapha Festive 500

2»

Comments

• post ride today and the foam roller hurt so much and I suppose I need to do some more later which will amuse my wife and daughter. :shock:

I know what you mean about the roller. Haven't dared use mine, my thighs are so sore I can hardly even touch them. Oddly though once I get back on the bike they don't hurt.
  • 394km - only a couple of easy days to do now.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968
    150 kms in the bag today.

364 kms in total.

I think it will be a moral completion with a turbo session tomorrow if the weather forecast is accurate and a short run on Thursday due to family commitments later.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    75km left here.

I don't fancy getting wet and blown around the lanes of Shropshire again tomorrow so it looks like a News Years eve ride :D
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Miserable day today - utterly foul weather - only did 57km but the number belies the commitment.

Leaves just 49k for tomorrow and, since it's due to be freezing all day, I'm planning on doing all of that off-road.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    I managed another 50 on the turbo.
    Don't know what would be worse, 2 hours on the turbo or 2 hours in the wind and rain.
    I know those 50 won't count and I won't officially complete but I hope to get the final 86 in tomorrow for my own satisfaction.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I managed another 50 on the turbo.
    Don't know what would be worse, 2 hours on the turbo or 2 hours in the wind and rain.
    I know those 50 won't count and I won't officially complete but I hope to get the final 86 in tomorrow for my own satisfaction.

It's not often I'd say this but today I'd have taken the turbo...
  • pblakeney
    I managed another 50 on the turbo.

It's not often I'd say this but today I'd have taken the turbo...
    Good decision by me then! :)
    Still suffered.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • It was wild out there today. Worst section was the unclassified road between Littleport and Ely. Only about 3 or 4 miles, but a full headwind, a road surface collapsing towards the fen on the left, and idiot motorists passing with about a foot clearance. The B1104 also murder, alternating between a headwind and a crosswind from the right, with nothing to break it up. After that there were hedges and buildings which helped a lot. So did the lack of rain, but 104 miles never felt harder, and this was probably the least windy part of the country.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I thought I would be on for this no problem but the weather has been so uninspiring I've done nothing extra on top of the commute. I'm only on 162km, no chance of me extending my commute by 300+kms today, even if I do finish early.

Fingers crossed next year will be better weather.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Well that's me done. Did the last 50 on fire roads and MTB single track because the roads around here are sheet ice (literally). It's actually a beautiful day when the sun is out - just cold when it isn't.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Done and dusted, 501km.

Blue skies for most of the morning and completed the last 75km before lunch.Its now gone dark with heavy rain.

It was a great challenge and got me out when I would have probably vegetated in front of the TV.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    Done and dusted too, which is nice.
    Probably 300 kms more than I would have done otherwise so mission accomplished.

Very cold, and very, very wet which led to cold and wet feet. Have to find a solution to that. :evil:

Currently in the top 4% of entrants so that's a bonus. :P
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • FINISHED!

Everything aches, including my hands. 1361 km. About 200 more than last year, which was the aim. Weather; mixed. No ice this year, a big plus, but windy every day except one. Easily the toughest day was day 7, thanks to Hurricane Fluffy. Only 3 wet days, surprisingly (though it started hammering down about 20 minutes after I got in today). Much milder than last year. Even the coolest day was several degrees warmer than the warmest in the 2014 challenge. It was 15 degrees on day 7, and 16 degrees on day 3. Some other figures; I consumed 62 gels, 21 energy bars and around 12 litres of energy/hydration drinks while on the bike. I'm now sick of the taste of all of them.

Do you remember that Olympic rower who said "if you ever see me getting in a boat again, shoot me."? That's how I feel about bikes right now. But give it a day or two...

I'm now going to consume some alcohol. Actually that was a lie. I've already started. Happy new year!
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Nicely done. and are you out tonight?

This year wind was the problem rather than snow and was therefor easier. however this year I am now sick the day after finishing lol.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Done here too and enough for 10,000kms;really pleased to do it the first time of asking.

Had a glitch with the sensor so was faffing with that and ended up disconnecting it and re-starting the head unit;luckily the gps sorted the distance ok though.

Pretty windy again but not as bad as I thought it would be so didn't feel too bad at the end

All settled in now with two bottles of red to share with the suffering better half,plus lots of unhealthy snacks and 4 hours of Mesrine on blu-ray.

Oh and happy new year and well done to all who completed this.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • FINISHED!

Everything aches, including my hands. 1361 km. About 200 more than last year, which was the aim. Weather; mixed. No ice this year, a big plus, but windy every day except one. Easily the toughest day was day 7, thanks to Hurricane Fluffy. Only 3 wet days, surprisingly (though it started hammering down about 20 minutes after I got in today). Much milder than last year. Even the coolest day was several degrees warmer than the warmest in the 2014 challenge. It was 15 degrees on day 7, and 16 degrees on day 3. Some other figures; I consumed 62 gels, 21 energy bars and around 12 litres of energy/hydration drinks while on the bike. I'm now sick of the taste of all of them.

Do you remember that Olympic rower who said "if you ever see me getting in a boat again, shoot me."? That's how I feel about bikes right now. But give it a day or two...

I'm now going to consume some alcohol. Actually that was a lie. I've already started. Happy new year!

Chapeau! Though I am rather jealous of your weather - I'm not sure I had a day in double figures and most were below 4C with 3 days at OC I think. But that's an awesome distance to cover just for the sake of it. Chapeau again.

My hands hurt too but I have only myself to blame as I was intent on doing the blue run at the local MTB centre on my gravel bike and my hands simply aren't used to doing that much braking from the hoods - least of all whilst being bashed by the rocky descent.
  • pblakeney
    Some other figures; I consumed 62 gels, 21 energy bars and around 12 litres of energy/hydration drinks while on the bike. I'm now sick of the taste of all of them.
    I completed it using 11 bottles of plain H2O and 4 bananas. :shock:
    But then, I only did 37% of your kms. :wink:
    But I am happy to drink more water and eat more bananas. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Some other figures; I consumed 62 gels, 21 energy bars and around 12 litres of energy/hydration drinks while on the bike. I'm now sick of the taste of all of them.
    I completed it using 11 bottles of plain H2O and 4 bananas. :shock:
    But then, I only did 37% of your kms. :wink:
    But I am happy to drink more water and eat more bananas. :lol:

I had peanut butter and jam sandwiches and a banana each day for breakfast and I'm fed up with those too. The gels etc seemed the best way of getting enough fuel down to keep going, without having to stop at a cafe (which would have used up riding time). Even having about a dozen flavours to choose from didn't stop me getting tired of them by about day 3. But they did the job.
  • pblakeney
    Oh, and zero cafe stops to save time. 8)
    Porridge and double espresso for breakfast. Proper lunch on return. Sorted!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Well done.

If I was you I would now look at why you need so much fuel, 62 gels and 21 energy bars is mental for for that amount of riding. I think you need to teach your body to burn more fat, and a lot less sugar, on endurance rides.

I did the 500 km in 4 rides on a porridge breakfast; no gels, no energy bars, just some bottles of orange Barley Water.

I'd say you'd probably underdone it, though. 125km is too far without topping up the carbs. Have you ever measured your blood sugar levels towards the end of a ride like that? You need some glycogen to burn fat and yours will be completely exhausted - it's not that sensible.
  • FINISHED!

Chapeau! Though I am rather jealous of your weather - I'm not sure I had a day in double figures and most were below 4C with 3 days at OC I think. But that's an awesome distance to cover just for the sake of it. Chapeau again.

My hands hurt too but I have only myself to blame as I was intent on doing the blue run at the local MTB centre on my gravel bike and my hands simply aren't used to doing that much braking from the hoods - least of all whilst being bashed by the rocky descent.

Thanks, I'm pleased with my final score. The astonishingly high temperatures definitely helped. I hate having cold hands and feet. As for "chapeau", I'd never heard the expression directly, until day six, when I met someone on the road and mentioned what I was up to, and he said that. Now you have too. As Bill Bailey once said in song, hats off to the zebra... Not relevant at all, but it makes me smile.

• Really? It's 4 and a half hours of zone 2 ish riding... I've got 2,500 - 3000 cals of stored carbs, and plenty of available fat to burn for that.

Let's just examine those numbers:

So you're riding zone 2 ("ish") at nearly 20mph for 4.5 hours? Solo?

You think you have 3000kcals of stored glycogen? Where do you think you have those stored?

What power output are you delivering over your 4.5 hours?

When do you next anticipate being able to ride again?

What basal (resting) rate of calorie burn do you think you have?

And, regardless of all of that, why do you think it's remotely intelligent not to take on carbs during your ride? The clue maybe that the brain can't burn fat.

• Well, I'll get back to you next year, as I'm off out now... but, for a start it's actually 17.1 mph... not 'nearly 20mph'

Cool - I look forward to it. The speed is the bit I'm least interested in. And, as it happens, I'm a great believer in fat burning adaptation but I also worked for nearly 10 years in blood glucose monitoring and diabetes care so learned a fair bit about how the body works. And not taking carbs on longer rides isn't an intelligent thing to do.
  • This is all sounding a bit technical for me, talk of fat burning, glycogen levels and so on. But I don't think I have been consuming too much. 62 gels in total is only seven or eight a day, which I was taking every ten to twelve miles, having set my Garmin to remind me. The setting was based on recommendations for energy consumption for someone of my weight and age. I was also having two or three bars over the course of the day, whenever I felt like it, mainly to make me feel like I was eating something solid. The calorific content of what I was drinking was pretty low; it was mainly for hydration. I really didn't want to run out of energy, so I may have been a little cautious. But though fatigued, I never felt weak or wobbly (the bonk) so I think I got it about right.
  • pblakeney
    This is all sounding a bit technical for me, talk of fat burning, glycogen levels and so on. But I don't think I have been consuming too much. 62 gels in total is only seven or eight a day, which I was taking every ten to twelve miles, having set my Garmin to remind me. The setting was based on recommendations for energy consumption for someone of my weight and age. I was also having two or three bars over the course of the day, whenever I felt like it, mainly to make me feel like I was eating something solid. The calorific content of what I was drinking was pretty low; it was mainly for hydration. I really didn't want to run out of energy, so I may have been a little cautious. But though fatigued, I never felt weak or wobbly (the bonk) so I think I got it about right.
    I think there may be a middle ground here but that still sounds like way too much.
    I haven't used gels/bars/additives since 2011 when I felt the way you have this week. Since then I have done many 100+ miles trips including some very hilly ones and as long as there is a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner involved then pure H2O does me fine.
    If I was racing or doing an endurance test then I would change but I think a lot of cyclists succumb to marketing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited January 2016
    This is all sounding a bit technical for me, talk of fat burning, glycogen levels and so on. But I don't think I have been consuming too much. 62 gels in total is only seven or eight a day, which I was taking every ten to twelve miles, having set my Garmin to remind me. The setting was based on recommendations for energy consumption for someone of my weight and age. I was also having two or three bars over the course of the day, whenever I felt like it, mainly to make me feel like I was eating something solid. The calorific content of what I was drinking was pretty low; it was mainly for hydration. I really didn't want to run out of energy, so I may have been a little cautious. But though fatigued, I never felt weak or wobbly (the bonk) so I think I got it about right.
    I think there may be a middle ground here but that still sounds like way too much.
    I haven't used gels/bars/additives since 2011 when I felt the way you have this week. Since then I have done many 100+ miles trips including some very hilly ones and as long as there is a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner involved then pure H2O does me fine.
    If I was racing or doing an endurance test then I would change but I think a lot of cyclists succumb to marketing.

I did feel I was eating when I didn't need to sometimes, so I probably was overdoing it a bit. I've done lots of centuries too, and wouldn't normally have that many gels, but I'd never done two on successive days, much less eight in a row, so I figured too much would be better than too little and I think "way too much" would be an exaggeration. Bear in mind that though I was having a good breakfast, and a normal meal in the evening, there was no lunch as such. And while this wasn't an endurance test on the scale of Steven Abrahams', for instance, for me it was a substantial distance. Anyway, I feel OK this morning, apart from some stiffness in my legs, and could easily get out for a ride. I don't think I will though. I think a rest is in order. :)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

seriously? I've climbed over 900,000 feet this year in just over 8000 miles and I haven't taken a single gel - so I'm guessing you don't really need a gel every 10 - 12 miles

These numbers, out of context, are meaningless. You could achieve those numbers on an 18 mile each way commute and of course you wouldn't need anything on an 18-mile ride. I was doing exactly this commute a couple of years ago through the winter on an MTB with studded ice tyres.

There are two issues related to the fact that your glycogen stores are both finite and take time to recharge.
    1. I'm sure it's possible to do 125k at zone 2 without gels/food. Depending upon physiology, that's probably close to the limit for most people. At the end of the ride, your stores will be almost completely depleted.
    2. It typically takes 24 hours to restore your glycogen levels to max. If a ride takes 5 hours, that only leaves 19 hours before doing the same ride at the same time the next day. It's not hard to see that your capability will dwindle.
    Gels are a bit of a red herring - they're just a convenient source of calories. Taking a gel (80kcals?) every 10-12 miles is probably only the equivalent of 150kcals per hour when you're probably burning 4x that. If you want to maintain your energy levels for day-after-day endurance riding, that's probably not too bad. You might not like the idea of gels but, taken with water, they're conceptually no worse than squash.

My point is that not eating (regardless of what you eat) on longer rides does nothing but deplete your glycogen stores and it takes time to replenish them.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Getting back on topic, I'm glad F500 finished yesterday as it has snowed here today and I've commuted in snow often enough for the novelty to have long-since gone and the downsides to be all too apparent.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Apb7o3tDE7KtzrWXLNJ_JlFGrecmB0yzxv-I3Pw3UEZ7.jpg
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy