Rapha Festive 500

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,481
edited January 2016 in The cake stop
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'll do it again, always good to have an excuse to get out, and i quite often end up chatting to others at traffic lights etc who are doing it oo
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Hmmmm.

With the short days I can only get out at weekends.
    The weekend weather has been consistent.
    I have not been outside on my bike since November 1st.

The Festive 5?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Not hard to do this living in NZ
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Mmmm like the look of that, just need to check the calendar on what family/friends visits we are planning - hopefully two birds with one stone ;)
  • I'm in. 1153 km last year. Hoping to do more this time, given usable weather. Last year here it was rain free, but with very wet roads the first four days, then cold with icy roads for the last four. No significant wind issues. Apart from the little sew on badge, I'm looking forward to it because it's good for Christmas avoidance....
  • Firstly, isn't this encouraging us to be out on the road when we should (for once) be spending time with our families?!
    Secondly, would it be too much to ask for some kind of 'prize' in completing this challenge, especially given the amount of free advertising Rapha reaps from it. And that it's not an 'easy' challenge.
    Come on, Rapha, surely a T-shirt or a cap isn't too much to ask?!
  • would it be too much to ask for some kind of 'prize' in completing this challenge,And that it's not an 'easy' challenge.

Well there is a prize - what Strava call a roundel (though in fact last year's was square - a squarel?). As far as I know it's the only Strava challenge where you get something physical, as opposed to a 'virtual' badge. I think it may have been a t shirt in the past, but a badge is fine by me, it's never not going to fit. I have last year's sewn to a long sleeved jersey, and the previous year's stuck to the back of my saddle pack.

And 500 km isn't that hard. Unless you do it all in one ride, as three people did last year.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Firstly, isn't this encouraging us to be out on the road when we should (for once) be spending time with our families?!
    Secondly, would it be too much to ask for some kind of 'prize' in completing this challenge, especially given the amount of free advertising Rapha reaps from it. And that it's not an 'easy' challenge.

I usually end up getting dangerously bored sitting around over Christmas, so going out on the bike is quite appealing.

Last year I ended up going running every day just for something to do, which is a pretty poor state of affairs. This year I'm driving down (Aberdeen to Bristol... Should be fun), so I'm going to take the bike.

Not sure if I'll get 500km in since I only rode outside twice in November, and haven't touched a bike yet in December...
  • I've clocked up about 110kn since the begining of november which is really bad. I'm all in favour of manning up and riding in all weathers but the current weather is just a joke.

What's worse is that whilst I'm typing this from behind my desk, the sun is shining.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    this plunged me into an abyss of ill health and comfort eating after I got rather ill chasing the 500km... last year.

this year it will be better. a few easy rides to the chilterns, at trundle pace including some harsh intervals and actually listening to my body!
  • bobmcstuff
    Went out today, did 42k and am destroyed - don't think I'll be doing the Festive 500 now, I don't fancy doing the whole thing at 20km/h (which is what I would have to do in order to not die).

Depressingly unfit!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Signed up for this but will see if I complete it;have another 'goal' to try and get 10,000kms up for the year and have just under 500 to do so a double incentive to get out.

Got an unofficial club ride tomorrow so that'll be a good start but it'll be a HTFU one as it's forecast for rain and 20-40mph winds which is fun out here in the open fen;.will be kitted out in the Sportful No Rain gear I reckon :D .
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • slowmart
    The weather forecast is heavy rain so in desperation I'm cutting up some rubber gloves to put on the bottom of my legs and over the top of my boots to stop the rain filling up my winter boots. :|
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    112km in the bank.
    Just as well as I doubt I'll get much more in as the calendar fills up with more enticing festivities.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    It was hella windy and hail-y so I went for a short run then drank a million beers.

Merry Christmas!
  • slowmart
    Two days in and a paltry and measly 56k ridden.

Looks like I have to tighten the nut to get 250k in by day four. :shock:

Desmond Tutu
  • Flâneur
    A lovely day where you could feel your feet squelch within 5 miles. But it is nice to get ahead of the days calories!

Keep riding folks 500km or not
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • I don't fancy doing the whole thing at 20km/h (which is what I would have to do in order to not die).

Depressingly unfit!

That doesn't sound all that slow... I'm aiming for somewhere between 14 and 15mph overall, which isn't much quicker than that. Mind you, I am going to attempt 100 miles each day, which should be... interesting. I've done lots of centuries, but never two on successive days, let alone eight in a row.

Two down, six to go. I wonder if it's possible to plot a circular route that has a following wind the whole way? Thursday was brutal. 331km so far.
  • pblakeney
    I don't fancy doing the whole thing at 20km/h (which is what I would have to do in order to not die).

Depressingly unfit!

That doesn't sound all that slow... I'm aiming for somewhere between 14 and 15mph overall, which isn't much quicker than that. Mind you, I am going to attempt 100 miles each day, which should be... interesting. I've done lots of centuries, but never two on successive days, let alone eight in a row.

Two down, six to go. I wonder if it's possible to plot a circular route that has a following wind the whole way? Thursday was brutal. 331km so far.
    You do know the 500 is in kms?
    Nearly done. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I know! But I did 1153km last year, and I want to beat that. So I don't plan to stop when I pass 500.
  • pblakeney
    I know! But I did 1153km last year, and I want to beat that. So I don't plan to stop when I pass 500.
    Nutter. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I know! But I did 1153km last year, and I want to beat that. So I don't plan to stop when I pass 500.
    Nutter. :lol:

Agreed! But I'm not the only one. Take a look at the leader board.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Didn't appreciate that turbo miles were excluded which seems harsh on those of us with either severe weather or limited day light hours to ride. In the past 3 days I have seen an ambulance tend to a rider who had a spill at the end of our village.
    Yesterday driving back from the football which was called off due to waterlogged pitch I seen 1 rider trying to wade through a flooded road which was unpassable by car. Not to say they were all on the 500 but the girl my wife pulled over to help was, lights had failed and she was sitting crying at the side of the road.
    I won't secure an official completion but will tick of the miles indoor when it's not safe to be out and where possible on the road when it's safe.
  • slowmart
    Just use the challenge as motivation to keep the lard off.

I did a club ride today and the reoccurring narrative was how much people had eaten without getting out on the bike.

I'm a lucky guy as my wife was encouraging with the challenge so there are lots of wins rather than official validation :D

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    If you are out on the bike you are not eating, or drinking.
    My wife (non-cyclist) has decided that she has had enough and she will be on salads and tee total.
    I on the other hand will continue to eat and drink as I wish.

Sufficient justification for the motivation in my view, even if you do not complete the 500.
    225 kms in with a big run planned for Tuesday, then finish on Thursday as Wednesday is supposed to be a wash out.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    I'm not actually doing it, but just the fact I feel guilty about not doing it has got me out on the bike twice so far. Completed a massive 55km in total though :oops:

Today it was very wet (but not windy for a change), so I was half tempted to sack it off, but it was actually a really nice ride in the end. Glad I went out.
  • slowmart
    I suppose " challenge" should give it away :twisted: post ride today and the foam roller hurt so much and I suppose I need to do some more later which will amuse my wife and daughter. :shock:

170km left and Wednesday looks a wet and rather windy and tomorrow looks the best day so I need to HTFU.

On the plus side I'm eating what I like and keeping the lard off.

Desmond Tutu
  • Flâneur
    last 70 tomorrow. Given the nice weather and boredom of wind and rain I'll aim to to get out and complete it.

Had some good rides mind
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    280kms done so far and the next few days look ok weather wise(esp the wind!);got a triple goal with this,the MTS and to get over 10,000kms for the year.

Reckon I'll have trouble staying awake on New Years Eve.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • 310km - the first 3 days I started off road but the average speed is compromised (MTB single track climbs don't help) so I swapped the gravel bike for the Volagi and now the kms are piling up. Today was the first day above 3C (yesterday was 0C) which was bliss - the wind actually felt warm. The Highlands is such an uplifting place to ride though - it's bumpy but the views are incredible.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH