Anyone using a foam roller?

I've had a niggle in my knee for a few months so went to see a physio and he recommend using a foam roller as part of the treatment.

Could just be psychological, but I've been using the roller post rides and my recovery seems a lot quicker. I've also been stretching out after rides and combining with the roller my legs feel fresher quicker

Has anyone else used a foam roller over a longer period and seen a difference? For 2016 I'm going focus on stretching and building more core strength, which will hopefully help with endurance on longer bikes.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yes. It works. It's effectively deep massage. Which works.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Instruments of torture but they keep my buggered right leg usable :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Yep, as NapD says. Indispensable.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • I'm a convert to them, as previous replies....if it's not painful it's not working!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Excellent investment. Works wonders. Hurts like hell though!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I'd go so far as to say that anyone who does a lot of exercise should have one. I don't use mine routinely but it's invaluable when a niggle crops up.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I have experienced lower back pain which the physio has diagnosed as a result of excessive muscle tightness in my lower back and legs. He reckons it is as a direct result of too much cycling and not sufficient (or correct) recovery, particularly now as I am getting older. He has advised a series of different stretches and exercises, 2 which include the use of a small foam ball to specifically target the glute and tensor fasciae latae (tfl) muscles.

I'm putting trust in my physio for the longer-term gain because the ball exercises are very uncomfortable - not that the existing pain is preferable.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Yes. Ow. Ow ow ow. But worth it. You have to do it regularly, and you have to accept the pain. Helps to have a hot bath first.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Is one roller the same as another...please recommend a good place to start
  • I've been using a foam roller for the last 3 months since getting tendonitis in my knee, and yes they do work wonders over time on untightening muscles (which is what caused my problem in the first place).

Although there are differences, I'm starting to think they are much of a muchness. I started with a solid foam roller from SportsDirect, but have since switched to one of the shorter textured models (£10 ebay jobbie- feels the same as the one my physio has...) after trying a friend's, which I prefer. Shorter ones are also easier to manoeuvre in a small space, and hollow ones are easy to pack if travelling.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Is one roller the same as another...please recommend a good place to start

Local hardware store, get a good deal on some PVC pipe. If you're feeling in the DIY mood... http://homemadestrength.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/foam-rolling-is-for-church-moms_24.html

Then buy a hockey ball too.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,615
    YES! They are amazing.

Jo McRae prescribed me two solid rollers, one lengthy thinnish one for my back, and one shorter thicker one for the legs. As mentioned, that one hurts something rotten. But frequent efforts saw the pain diminish a good 80% which made me realise what a state they were in beforehand.

My flexibility has improved in leaps and bounds as a result.
    I am amazed they do not prescribe them on the nhs.

When I go on holiday, 1 or both rollers (and the bike of course) always make their way into the car.

Happy to measure the differing diameters if you are bothered.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    my husband uses his roller religiously (when the kids aren't using it to chase the cats around the house).

I try to use it but it feels like nothing to me. (I think this might reflect a complete lack of muscles on my part)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The main difference between rollers is how hard/soft they are. If it is very sore using one, a softer roller may help to start with.
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    I'm about over a bout of quadricep tendonitis thanks to streching, hot and cold pads and alot of foam rolling.
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    I think this is something I may need to invest in. The day after a hard session on the bike my legs can feel fine, but the next day they can be a bit stiff and numb feeling. There are times I've not been on the bike for 3/4 days and my legs feel like they've done 100miles!! I've read a little bit about DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness), which is something I think I must suffer from.

I take it that doing a session with the foam roller would ease this? When would you use them eg. straight after a cycle or the next night, or when?

Thanks
    Graeme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Are the nore expensive ones any different? I ve been sing a cheap one from a home bargins type store (csot me less than a fiver) and it feels pretty solid - no "foam" at all. Is that true of all of them?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    My first £10 roller from Argos is used daily. The £30 muscle master from Amazon is not, despite allegedly being better. I think the solid roller works the outside of the leg better and the textured one gets the inner quads quite well but if I had to chose one, it would be the solid one as does the back really well too.