Friday off

2»

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    918?

That was on the list along with a Mazda 6, but I'm too boring and have this stuck in my head

Bmw in your thirties, Mercedes in your forties and jag in your fifties
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Merc's are built tinny these day's. I have had 3, a W123, W202 and a W203 and each incarnation get's worse.
    I had a chat with a local sprayer (A1 sprayer at that) and he was telling me he was cutting out wheel arches on 4 and 5 year old Merc's. All mechanically sound and reliable but terrible tin worm - like a Ford. I'll be letting mine go soon despite still getting 55mpg + on a run and the engine and box is a smooth as Katie Melua singing Wonderful life.

I'm therefore planning to go back to my 30's. Oooh a straight six 2.2L 170 BHP or a very clean 2.5 litre pre '02 just to keep me amused for a couple of years whilst I fix up the old house before I get the finances sorted...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    I'm on my 2nd BM hire car and I've loved getting back to rear wheel drive - it seems wrong to do donuts in a car that's only done 500 miles - but they are so much fun
  • pinno
    I'm on my 2nd BM hire car and I've loved getting back to rear wheel drive - it seems wrong to do donuts in a car that's only done 500 miles - but they are so much fun

Excellent, well done and it's a hire job so WGAF?

That was the big let down with the SAAB. I still don't know why they persevered with FrWD. So solid, so well built but I couldn't hack the drive quality. I think they could have competed with all the exec cars on the market had they gone RWD.

Got rid of it after just 6 months. Loved the Hammer head alloys, the straight line speed, the heated leather seats - super in winter 'cos they heated up quicker than the heating system and when my back was sore, I would just go for a drive. Far too many buttons and dials and I only got 6k out of the front tyres.
  • tlw1

Excellent, well done and it's a hire job so WGAF?

That was the big let down with the SAAB. I still don't know why they persevered with FrWD. So solid, so well built but I couldn't hack the drive quality. I think they could have competed with all the exec cars on the market had they gone RWD.

Got rid of it after just 6 months. Loved the Hammer head alloys, the straight line speed, the heated leather seats - super in winter 'cos they heated up quicker than the heating system and when my back was sore, I would just go for a drive. Far too many buttons and dials and I only got 6k out of the front tyres.

My dad had a few Saabs over the years, my favourite was the 900 Turbo :)

Love my heated seat, I normally have mine on, how camp!
  • pinno
    I had the 2.2 that followed it. Got a pic somewhere. I got it cheap 'cos the paintwork and the alloys was in really bad shape. Also, the engine management light kept coming on. They were susceptible to Lambda sensors on the exhaust side being dicky but it wasn't that, it was the little link rod for the turbo waste gate. I ended up going to see a cockney bloke called Tony (top bloke) at his garage and I spent 2 hours rifling through the boxes and boxes of left over nuts and bolts looking for a circlip that fitted, allowing the rod to fully close the waste gate 'cos the one on it was too big and had too much play in it. Suffice to say, I bought him a few pints.

Something about the lacquer coat on the saab's - it seemed to be really thick compared to other cars. It took me 2 days solid to remove the swirls and nicks out with wet and dry, Colour T cut and a heap of Autogleam polish. I don't know how many times I said to myself 'Why did I start this?'

28052e8f7fc9a241539badbf24c4bf75.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    918?

That was on the list along with a Mazda 6, but I'm too boring and have this stuck in my head

You wouldn't want to be a copycat either.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    918?

You wouldn't want to be a copycat either.

absolutely
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    When I go viciting customers I get a hire car, normally a Merc C class. Total pile of poop, had a Skoda Octavia the last time, a much better car. Who'd have thought?
  • tlw1
    When I go viciting customers I get a hire car, normally a Merc C class. Total pile of poop, had a Skoda Octavia the last time, a much better car. Who'd have thought?

Didn't want to hear that :(
  • Cars are great, yeah!
    Loved my Merc estate. Now I'm driving an elderly SEAT Alhambra. With the seats out out it's a van. Pig to drive, but useful. I do miss the Merc sludgematic gearbox though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • tlw1
    Cars are great, yeah!
    Loved my Merc estate. Now I'm driving an elderly SEAT Alhambra. With the seats out out it's a van. Pig to drive, but useful. I do miss the Merc sludgematic gearbox though.

I miss my vans - throughout uni my dad always give me a works van
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Didn't want to hear that :(
    Depends what he means by victimising. I would have thought just turning up at a customers place would count :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I really enjoy my bmw's image aside as an estate (ignoring an rs6) the 3 series is mint and my one series (may be tuned a bit) is loads of fun and fits plenty in. I can't abide getting in my older golf these days. Nice solid drive, has some acceleration not to worry but Christ it is dull.

Trying to convince the date to get an mx5 or s2000 if I can find a low mileage one
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    I really enjoy my bmw's image aside as an estate (ignoring an rs6) the 3 series is mint and my one series (may be tuned a bit) is loads of fun and fits plenty in. I can't abide getting in my older golf these days. Nice solid drive, has some acceleration not to worry but Christ it is dull.

Trying to convince the date to get an mx5 or s2000 if I can find a low mileage one

In a previous thread, there was someone who said that the S2000 has a bit of an unpredictable back end that could be a bit snappy with no warning.
    How many cars have you got?!