Crack in Ksyrium Elite wheel, is it time to replace?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited December 2017 in Road general
Hi,

I was just cleaning my bike and noticed this crack. It doesn't look at all good to me but wanted to see what others thought, is it safe to ride on or is that a definite sign it needs to be replaced? There is another, barely visible and smaller hairline crack at another point too. I've probably ridden about 8000 miles on them and I weigh 70kg so not especially heavy.

SwA4Pvf.jpg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless they are still within warranty I'd say it looks like time to be shopping for new wheels :(

Not quite as dangerous as a wheel with a braking track worn paper thin; it's not about to fail suddenly and catatrophically, but if a spoke pulls out of the rim it could buckle the wheel enough to jam the tyre against the chainstay and bring you to an abrupt halt (I'm assuming it's the rear wheel and the drive side spokes here; that's what happened when my rear RS10 snapped a spoke). If you use them on a flat commute say, you could carry on riding them and keep an eye on the cracks. I wouldn't want to be descending at speed on them though, my dentist gets quite enough of my money already.
  • Damn, I thought that might be the case. I'd much rather replace it than ride around worrying if I'm about to go head over heels. They came with the bike that I purchased from Rose back in June 2014, I'm assuming the warranty is 12 months but I'll send them an email and see what they say.
    Thanks for the reply.

edit: might be in luck "Your ROSE bike comes with a comprehensive warranty package. You have a 2-year warranty on all components " just hope they confirm that when I contact them.
  • all too common, should a straightforward replacement under warranty
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    Good news; hopefully a warranty job. Not heard of rims failing that quickly before. And well done on 8000 miles in < 18 months!

ETA - Mavic warranty looks like it's 2 years anyway, so you should get a replacement from Rose without any drama.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Replace if under warranty. Must admit I've a smaller crack on my fixed wheel bike that hasn't got worse in a few years of riding - but it's not like I can do fast descents on it anyway.
  • Good news; hopefully a warranty job. Not heard of rims failing that quickly before. And well done on 8000 miles in < 18 months!

ETA - Mavic warranty looks like it's 2 years anyway, so you should get a replacement from Rose without any drama.

Cheers, one of the advantages of freelancing from home and taking long 'lunch breaks' :D

Gutted that this will take a while to get sorted, although rather that than not noticing and having an accident I guess.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Get new wheels under warranty.

Sell them immediately without using them.

Buy Obermayers.

Tell other half that Obermayers are the replacements for the broken.

When she queries the missing £4k tell her it must have been someone cloning her credit card last time she bought some shoes and look where her selfish shoe habit has got you both.

New wheels. Massive amounts of smugtivity. Guilt points in the bank. It's a win/win situation.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just an update for other Rose owners who might be curious. I sent the wheel off on the 18th (free postage) and received a new one in the post this morning (11th). It was about as painless as it could be.
  • keef66
    Splendid result!

My next wheels are still going to be handbuilts...
  • Just an update for other Rose owners who might be curious. I sent the wheel off on the 18th (free postage) and received a new one in the post this morning (11th). It was about as painless as it could be.

Well, it's still over three weeks without a wheel, which for some could be a major hassle... imagine it happened in May just ahead of the sportive you have been training months for...

• Well, it's still over three weeks without a wheel, which for some could be a major hassle... imagine it happened in May just ahead of the sportive you have been training months for...

Fortunately I had a spare wheel but I take your point. I think that most people who buy from places like Rose or Canyon already accept that warranty returns wont be as simple as returning it to a shop though. I feel like free postage and the time taken was reasonable considering it had to travel to Germany, France and back again. I'll be looking at handbuilts in the future however.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Oh God, seeing a cracked Ksyrium rim on this forum is like a dream come true for the handbuilt brigade :D
  • Oh God, seeing a cracked Ksyrium rim on this forum is like a dream come true for the handbuilt brigade :D

That's not the point... the point is that 3 weeks is still a pretty long time to sort out a warranty issue. If you took your car to the garage to replace a faulty wheel and it took three weeks to get the replacement, would you be happy?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Oh God, seeing a cracked Ksyrium rim on this forum is like a dream come true for the handbuilt brigade :D

That's not the point... the point is that 3 weeks is still a pretty long time to sort out a warranty issue. If you took your car to the garage to replace a faulty wheel and it took three weeks to get the replacement, would you be happy?

If you've got Ksyrium Elite wheels then you've probably got your original wheels, and first upgrade wheels Aksium, Fulcrum R7/5 to fall back on during the down time, unless of course you've purchased a very high end bike as your first.
    If they were handbuilt wheels you'd still have downtime waiting for them to be repaired.

It's not that long ago that all mail order stuff had a 'Please allow 28 days for deliver' disclaimer' , thankfully that's over but a three week turnaround from Germany isn't all that bad.

• If they were handbuilt wheels you'd still have downtime waiting for them to be repaired.

You are trying to read things I haven't said. So let's make things clear: I no longer build wheels, I have no interest in people buying handbuilts, happy?

My point is that being overjoyed for a warranty replacement that happens in a three weeks time frame reflects that the state of the industry, where a bicycle is seen as a luxury item, of which you probably have many and can do without... if the same happened to an i-phone, or a car or a washing machine, the OP would probably be outraged, while at the end of the day we are talking about the same thing.

Wh should it take 3 weeks to have an item, which is clearly faulty replaced?

I had a broken fork and the distributor didn't even have anything to give me... so I got a voucher? Was I overjoyed? No, I was pretty damn unimpressed

• If they were handbuilt wheels you'd still have downtime waiting for them to be repaired.

You are trying to read things I haven't said. So let's make things clear: I no longer build wheels, I have no interest in people buying handbuilts, happy?

My point is that being overjoyed for a warranty replacement that happens in a three weeks time frame reflects that the state of the industry, where a bicycle is seen as a luxury item, of which you probably have many and can do without... if the same happened to an i-phone, or a car or a washing machine, the OP would probably be outraged, while at the end of the day we are talking about the same thing.

I had a broken fork and the distributor didn't even have anything to give me... so I got a voucher? Was I overjoyed? No, I was pretty damn unimpressed

Had a faulty Mavic wheel on a Canyon mtb (i could still use it) 1 year old, i asked Canyon to send me a new wheel and i d return the old one, this they did, when the frame cracked a few months later, they sent me the new frame, whilst i carried on using the old one, it was a small crak at top of seat tube.

A faulty head unit bought from ROSE, again they sent me a new one whilst i carried on using the old one.

Tacx Vortex trainer has now got a bearing roller fault, causing a vibration but still useable, explained to ROSE and TACX that i cant do with out this for weeks whilst it goes in for repair, they said they d send me the new part and i return old one.

if you ask the right questions, you ll often get the right responses :)

Had a faulty Mavic wheel on a Canyon mtb (i could still use it) 1 year old, i asked Canyon to send me a new wheel and i d return the old one, this they did, when the frame cracked a few months later, they sent me the new frame, whilst i carried on using the old one, it was a small crak at top of seat tube.

A faulty head unit bought from ROSE, again they sent me a new one whilst i carried on using the old one.

Tacx Vortex trainer has now got a bearing roller fault, causing a vibration but still useable, explained to ROSE and TACX that i cant do with out this for weeks whilst it goes in for repair, they said they d send me the new part and i return old one.

if you ask the right questions, you ll often get the right responses :)

I had a similar experience with TRP, they sent me a new HyRD and then I sent them the faulty one, which I think it's the way the industry should operate... based on mutual trust and respect... I trust you with my money, you trust me if my complaint is reasonable.

That's why I am surprised when someone is overjoyed over a 3 weeks warranty replacement, which I would find pretty poor customer service.
  • Matthewfalle
    3 weeks for a replacement - 2 1/2 of that was probably postage time.

Rose are probably like all the other big dealers - they receive the wheel, have a quiz then just send another one off and chuck the broken one in a big pile to go back to Mavic at the end of the year.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • That's why I am surprised when someone is overjoyed over a 3 weeks warranty replacement, which I would find pretty poor customer service.

I wouldn't say I'm overjoyed. I just said it was as painless as sending a wheel to Germany, which then gets sent to France and back to Germany and then back to the UK via express post for free, could be. I'd probably feel a bit differently if I hadn't had a spare to use.

Anyway, I was just updating the post so that other Rose users might know what to expect. They can make their own minds up about how they feel about it.
  • 3 weeks for a replacement - 2 1/2 of that was probably postage time.

Maybe in 1950... these days sending a parcel to Glasgow or to Germany makes virtually no difference. 1-2 days typically... 3 for very basic economy services.

Postage becomes an issue outside the EU, as buying space on large aircraft carriers is expensive. In principle there is no reason why a parcel to the US should take longer than 24 hours, cost is the limiting factor
  • Matthewfalle
    Yeah, right. I'm outside of the UK most of the time and everything takes about 5 days to arrive- add in a weekend here and there and that's 2 1/2 weeks gone.

Pretty good service if you ask me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    At OP : I'd say that you received excellent service here, that all but the very best of the hand-build companys would struggle to match. An awful lot can befall a wheel in the 8000 miles that yours traveled, and a no quibble replacement is as good as it gets.
    Also, the suggestion that cracks in these rims is "all too common" is clearly absolute piffle. Without statistics showing rim failures as a percentage of wheels sold (probably tiny else the wheels would of long since been discontinued) the assertion is simply anecdotal drivel.
    A two year warranty such as Mavic's shows an astonishing level of confidence in a highly stressed product such as a bicycle wheel. I'd far rather spend my money with the likes of Mavic Et al who provide solid back up, as opposed to a small builder who may not even be in business next year. [sentence removed]

[paragraph removed]

I POSTED THIS SEVERAL DAYS AGO AND IT WAS DELETED WITHOUT EXPLANATION. WOULD EDITORIAL STAFF PLEASE EXPLAIN, AND CHECK THAT THIS WAS AN OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED ACT ? I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WE STILL HAD FREE SPEECH IN THIS COUNTRY. ANOTHER MEMBER (ELFED)AGREEING WITH MY SENTIMENTS ALSO HAD HIS POST DELETED.

[edited: by Andy]
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    SLR The post that was here was deleted as you included within the original an attack on another forum member. Although disguised, they, you and most importantly I know exactly who it was meant for. Attacks on other forum members are not allowed, if they are thinly veiled or not.

You have now reposted an edited version, and I have edited it further in order that it complies with the aforementioned rules.

As you have been warned several times about your behaviour towards other members, yes plural, members, of the community on a number of occasions, this last infringement constitutes a ban.

I am making this public as you asked for a public explanation.

I asked you on more than one occasion to confine your comments to the subject in discussion and not at the people discussing but you are unwilling to refrain from personal attack when in dispute. As such please refrain from posting here in the future. We want a helpful, friendly community here, not one full of sarcasm.
    BikeRadar Community
  • keef66
    I don't do so many miles a year, and most of those are on country lanes which require very little braking. Add to that I only weigh 64kg, so my factory wheels have an easy life. My 8 year old RS10s are now on the summer bike, so they will probably last a good while longer, and despite their age the rear rim is showing no sign of the cracking that some other owners have seen. The R501s on the winter bike have a few more, round spokes and seem to be holding up well too. I accept that if a rim wears out or sustains serious damage, the wheel will be beyond economic repair. My R501s were £70 the pair, and I've seen them cheaper.

I like the Shimano cup and cone hubs I can fiddle with, clean, regrease, adjust and occasionally replace the bearings. I did moan a bit when a DS spoke snapped on the rear RS10 because a) it rendered the bike immediately unrideable and b) a replacement was dearer and harder to track down that I felt it should have been. I now have a single silver spoke in an otherwise black rear wheel.
    On the other hand, that's been the only problem, and looking at the remains of the dead spoke it looks like it was self-inflicted; mangled by an overshifted chain which in turn followed a mech hanger I bent when falling off :oops:

If I lived somewhere hilly and did a galactic mileage, daily commute, touring or audax on my rim braked bikes, I think I'd want some robust handbuilt wheels so rims and spokes could be replaced easily / cheaply. But for my kind of riding the factory wheels cost me about a tenner a year, which I think is value for money.

Maybe the proliferation of disk brakes and the associated stronger wheelsets will mean less business for the wheel builders...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    It’s also no secret that he was relieved of his mod status due to his “partiality” and various attacks on factory wheels and personal attacks on people running some companies were machines are used to build wheels.
    Completely incorrect, he stepped down after some rather unsavoury events off the forum.
  • Well, it happened again. This time out of warranty... I'm 75kg and although the roads aren't great, they aren't THAT horrendous. Time to look for something different.
  • keef66
    Top marks for coming back over 2 years later to update us. Your experience only reinforces my belief that some factory wheelsets don't represent particularly good value for money.

Milling more and more material from the rim in pursuit of tiny weight savings, and using low spoke counts at relatively high tension, I think that sometimes they push the materials too far. And in many cases the cost of replacement parts means you can have a 2 year old wheel that's beyond economic repair.

I've been lucky with my entry level Shimano wheelsets; in 10 years I've only had to replace a single spoke and service the bearings annually. I'll still be buying handbuilts for my next bike though.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Well, it happened again. This time out of warranty... I'm 75kg and although the roads aren't great, they aren't THAT horrendous. Time to look for something different.
    Your OP photo could have been my Ksyrium Elite that pinged in the last few miles of Paris to Rome in 2013. Since then I've been using Ultegra wheels at about half the price.
  • Cheers for the replies. Might look into some Shimano wheels then. I was considering Hunt Race Aero Wide wheels but will trawl through a few more wheel recommendation threads to see what crops up under £500.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Must admit my Ultegra wheels have been flawless for the last few years. I'm happy.