Becky James

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully she'll be the sprinter of choice for Rio now there's only one qualified and no team sprint. She's the only one of the current crop of British women sprinters who has been able to demonstrate performance (in solo events) against the world's best and with another 5-6 months of racing in her legs will only get better.

no we should still have qualified for two in the individual sprint, as Katy & Jess should both still be within the top 9 group of sprinters who havent qualified team sprint. but which one youd choose to go alongside Becky, who youd have to assume is a certain pick after getting that bronze, Im still not sure, the problem is its not a medal pick anymore
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I'd take Marchant out of those two, she's shown greater potential although lacking the experience. The whole qualification process is ridiculous though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Just seen that Becky James is retiring and setting up a baking business. @bakedbybecks

Thanks for the racing and Good Luck to her!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Good luck and those cakes look delicious.

Great haul - 2 Olympic, 7 Worlds, 1 Euros, 2 Commonwealth medals.
  • All the best to Becky, Saddles

Becky's medals last year were two of my fav three from the Rio velodrome
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Good luck indeed, big loss to track cycling though :-(

Women's track cycling has taken a bit of a pounding in recent months :?

Rowsell retires, now James, think Shanaize Reed retired also........
    Trott out for a bit at least.

Dani King riding road, Varnish out of favour - unless she now gets a recall.

I know they still have a volume of endurance riders, including Katie Archibald of course, but those are still some big guns to lose.
    Hope there is a queue behind to fill the void.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Didn't see that coming. I assumed 2020 would be her peak and time to bow out. She seems to be some baker though!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    All the best to Becky James.

BTW, has Jason Kenny hit the press for the wrong reasons yet?
  • daniel_b
    bompington wrote:
    All the best to Becky James.

BTW, has Jason Kenny hit the press for the wrong reasons yet?

LOL, yes he's put Laura Kenny out of action hasn't he!
    Naughty boy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    It's all about the next generation now. Ffion is still riding well despite giving up a BC place to go to Uni and Meg, who has some of the best bike handling skills I've seen, was setting the world of downhill alight before a bad crash last month.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/racing-events/downhill/bulletproof-talent-meg-james.html
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Good luck to Becky in her new career. Impressive courage and commitment to get to Rio, and it was a joy to see her deliver there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Sad to see Becky go - thought she'd nail it for Wales next year and for GB in Tokyo. Was great to be in the velodrome to see her comeback medal in the keiren in the Worlds in 2016. One of my favourite memories is post-Minsk where she went to Japan and absolutely nailed the pro keirin circuit wining every race.

About an hour after Becky's announcement another female Welsh world champion retired - Manon Carpenter from DH MTB at age of 24.

Hope someone is checking on Elinor Barker now!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well I dont think they need to parachute people in from other disciplines just yet, Sophie Capewell and Megan Barker both represented Team GB at the recent Euro U23 track championships in sprint events and have plenty of improvement to come and Vicky Williamson is still I assume getting back to form after her bad injury last year, so its not quite the cupboard is empty.

Id have loved to see Becky get a proper tilt at Tokyo 2020 as Id have bet my house on her winning gold fully fit and recovered from injuries, but I respect her choice to retire now, she does appear to make exceedingly good cakes :)
  • Guess there comes a time when you just say "bugger it" and get off the treadmill - good luck to her.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Manon was brave to take on those courses but beyond brave to face up to her newly-found demons and say that she can't do it anymore. Chapeau very skilled, very fast Welsh wonder woman!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Manon was brave to take on those courses but beyond brave to face up to her newly-found demons and say that she can't do it anymore. Chapeau very skilled, very fast Welsh wonder woman!

+1, Always had a lot of time for Manon. She's a geologist* too!!

(*albeit in training, but at my alma mata** so...)

((**i don't know why I went all faux-latin american then))
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Always a shame to lose a top rider while they could still compete but good luck to her with the business.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    Quite a substantial change of direction after this interview from 3 weeks prior.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/40721975
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    I wonder if the media led witch hunt at BC helped make her decide to knock it on the head early?
  • daniel_b
    Pross wrote:
    I wonder if the media led witch hunt at BC helped make her decide to knock it on the head early?

A valid point to raise.

Also she was a big supporter of Shane Sutton, so perhaps his absence could also be contributory.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Now this is in the public domain, I'm posting this to clarify a couple of the comments made by Pross and myself in the yellow jersey thread.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... y-16384685

No mention of the England rugby captain being there. Maybe he was hiding under a hat!
    AWJ too.
    Curiously, no mention at all of any of the cyclists present.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Now this is in the public domain, I'm posting this to clarify a couple of the comments made by Pross and myself in the yellow jersey thread.

t.

Genuine apoligues if I've got this wrong Blazing but Becky is your daughter ?

If so congratulations to you all.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

t.

Genuine apoligues if I've got this wrong Blazing but Becky is your daughter ?

If so congratulations to you all.

Niece I believe.

But yes, congrats to all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Should say I was there in a tradesman role only and not a guest :lol:
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Surely this deserved a spoiler thread BS?
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021
    Going to stick this here and in another thread in general road, as it's about here mum's run in with a car, This happened in the week, although it's not quite the full story in respect of the driver:-

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/driver-arrested-after-hitting-becky-james-sister-ffion-in-wales-495379
  • Pross

Going to stick this here and in another thread in general road, as it's about here mum's run in with a car, This happened in the week, although it's not quite the full story in respect of the driver:-

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/driver-arrested-after-hitting-becky-james-sister-ffion-in-wales-495379

?? Thought it was more misfortune for mum having only just managed to get back on her bike.

Glad they're both relatively unscathed, two very good cyclo-cross talents there.

• Pross
    BTW how is Megan doing these days? Haven't heard anything about her since that big DH crash. Is she back racing?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021
    Pross said:

BTW how is Megan doing these days? Haven't heard anything about her since that big DH crash. Is she back racing?

Riding her bike, but the short answer is no.
    The advice after that crash was that it wasn't a good idea to return to DH competition.
    At Uni in London.