Powermeter

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
I have just received a bonus and I am thinking of buying set of p1 powermeter pedals. I don't race but want to take my cycling to a higher level. Am I just wasting my money or will I actually benefit. Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A powermeter will only get you to a higher level if you use it properly. More regular riding, a structured training regime, or a coach, would probably achieve the same thing. Without a bit more info on what level you're at now, it's difficult to offer anything more meaningful...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    A power meter doesn't make you a better cyclist. It can help with training if you know what you are doing, and know what you are targeting.
    I can think of FAR better ways to spend a grand.
    (I've been a power meter user since 2008 btw)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    as with Nap.... if you need to ask , then really spend a grand on something else prettier.
  • I was hoping to learn more about these new POWmeters :D

In any case Brian, as others have said the powermeter is a tool, and so whether or not it will help depends on what you intend to use it for. It's certainly possible to improve nicely without one but it can also be really helpful and useful training aid if used wisely.

I suppose I'd start by checking what sort of and how much riding you do now, and what scope you have to train more or in a different manner than you currently do (since doing what you are now isn't resulting in desired improvement).
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Do you already use a Heart Rate monitor and cadence sensor? If not that would be a better way to start training, working in Heart Rate zones, before considering the expense of a Powermeter.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I'd start off with a Trainer Road subscription and see if the virtual power (which matches your turbo trainer resistance curve to your wheel speed to give a pretty good power estimation) if of interest to you.

I use a PM for training, pacing and measuring my performance over time. The power meter hasn't made me a better cyclist, better training has made me a better cyclist, but the PM allows me to do better training.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    You really need to understand what a power meter is all about - what it measures and what those figures mean in relation to other variables such as HR, RPE, fatigue, recovery etc, then read Friel et al and understand how to use one (incidentally, a fair amount of coaches recommend using power as a key training tool).

If used correctly and the data understood, then it will improve your cycling over time. It's a very powerful tool, especially coupled with HR.

If you're spending up to £1k just to look at some numbers and don't have a concrete plan, then I'd stand back and reassess.

I stated using the power meters in the gym which are on the spin bikes / Wattbike. I'd recommend that way first, before committing to buy.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Why spend a grand on those? Just buy a qaurq for half the cost, and you can get some coaching with the other £500.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Why spend a grand on those? Just buy a qaurq for half the cost, and you can get some coaching with the other £500.

Or a P2M. Or a Powertap.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I think we all have a tendency to over play the power meter complexities. Sure TSS and CTL ramp up rates, etc, etc, are all great to monitor your plan and structure training, but being honest I didn't get to that until I had been playing with power for over a year. Ahead of that I think I got a lot of benefit from knowing my FTP and just hitting targeted, accurate intervals on the turbo/road, certainly my training gave me a bigger payback than using a HRM alone which was my previous guide. It was actually surprising to me how big the variance between power and heart rate zones were.

So I would say that a power meter will give you significant advantage if you are following a structured training plan, there isn't much point otherwise. There are other paybacks if you go deeper into it.

And if you want to buy one then I think P2M is great value with the current price drops, but near in mind how portable a solution you may want.
  • So I would say that a power meter will give you significant advantage if you are following a structured training plan, there isn't much point otherwise.
    When/if one makes the paradigm shift to training with power, they begin to realise how a power meter can also release them from the necessity of a rigidly structured programme and still enable them to effectively use their training time. Used well, a power meter can help set you free to train with great flexibility while staying within some broader training objectives and parameters.
    There are other paybacks if you go deeper into it.
    Agree, although I'd say the majority of power meter owners barely scratch the surface.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Used well, a power meter can help set you free to train with great flexibility while staying within some broader training objectives and parameters.

This is one of the benefits - no matter the weather, terrain etc, you can actively focus on training against a certain physiological regime. e.g. hill training doesn't need to be on hills - you just do some 6 min 105-110% FTP intervals to simulate a 2 km long climb, followed by light spinning for 5 mins to simulate the downhill bit. Or proper over-unders.

Another interesting side benefit, is that headwinds don't impact your power so you can still do the same ride as usual - sure, your speed will be slower for a given power but the training impact of 300w into winds is identical to 300w with a tailwind.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Another interesting side benefit, is that headwinds don't impact your power so you can still do the same ride as usual - sure, your speed will be slower for a given power but the training impact of 300w into winds is identical to 300w with a tailwind

Never feels the same!
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yep, I rarely look at my speed while riding so wind plays no part in the ride, unless its strong enough to blow you off the road!!
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    I would get a copy of racing and training with power by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan. They (power meters) really transform your training as long as you're willing to put the work in.
  • The power meter hasn't made me a better cyclist, better training has made me a better cyclist, but the PM allows me to do better training.

^ This. If you're willing to put in the hours to gather data and learn what it all means then using a powermeter can be very rewarding and a great way to focus your training more specifically. I'd also recommend getting a copy of Training and Racing with a Powermeter, then reading it over and over and over...